Restoration, 22' Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
While I fully intend to document the restoration here, I also started a blog if people prefer that format.

http://troop1183-buccaneer.blogspot.com/2010/12/restoring-buccaneer.html

Well, you've certainly found the right place! Like you, I'm restoring a Mac 22 (78 model) and I've found the folks at this website to be extremely knowledgeable and willing to help new owners get their project into the water. Couldn't be doing what I'm doing without them. :dance:

Congratulations on your most excellent acquisition! Isn't this the same year / model as in the book FIX IT AND SAIL? (My copy's down in the car, it's night, raining, and I'm not going to go check right this moment.) If not, it's almost the same. If you don't have the book, and nobody's recommended it yet, you might want to get a copy for reference. I found it very informative, and a lot of fun to read at work when the boss isn't looking. :)

Good luck with your project, and to echo what's already been said: TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!

It's getting near Christmas and I'm working straight through, so if I don't get back here before then, we wish you all a happy and safe Holiday Season.

VBR,

Pat

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
You might want to check out this thread.
Mainsail has been doing things for a long time and takes the time to expain and document well.
I know it's is directed towards bigger boats but boats is boats and the bedding system he uses is quick and easy and foolproof and lasting.
His waxing and the replys are worth reading.
It's kinna like reading a book with replys from other sailors.
http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Macgregor 22 Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I've been reading the lower sections quite a bit. Good stuff.

I'll look for the book, Pat. Thanks.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Smithy

I really don't see a lot of work unless you are going to do it all your self.

I would not paint the inside, you will be supprised how well simple green and a brush and rags will work and just rinse it into the bilge pour more in there and scrub it and syphon out then vac.

To make it look pretty and smell even better go over the int with lemon pledge.

Try JoAnns fabric store and see if they won't give you a discount or maybe even free fabric since it is for a good cause.

Lumber yards and maybe Home Depot and Lowes may have some kind of discount programs.

I just picked up an old dinning table at a yard sale that I will use to make a new table cost $5.00.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
The cosmetic things will certainly be cheap. It's the critical hardware I'm more worried about - All new running rigging isn't cheap, neither is a motor, which we'll need on the Potomac. The carpentry is the easy part. Rebedding all the deck fittings is a little more complicated, labor-wise, though not terribly expensive. We might want to install a winch, which we don't currently have.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Chemistry Trick

Napthalene vapors (moth balls) kill mold spores. Go to WalMart (near the coat hangers) and get a box of moth balls (about $2). Pour them out in a pail or pan or whatever and close up the boat for the winter. The vapors will knock down the mold spore count. Then let the boat air out in the spring before you begin you cleaning.

Nov 23, 2010
MacGregor Venture 22 OK/TX
Brought home a boat today, a Macgregor 22' swing keel. Price paid, $300, includes boat, trailer, standing rigging, 2 sails, and a whole hell of a lot of work ahead of us.

The interior will need a complete stripping, cleaning, and rebuilding.

Yeah, that's ice down there.

In my defense, it's mainly for use by the Scouts I work with, and they'll be providing a considerable amount of the labor in this project. As the only guy in our unit who actually knows how to sail, though, I'll be on it quite a bit this year.

Wish us luck.
WOW!!!! 300.00 YOU DID GOOD!

I gave better then 3 times that for mine (1971 V 22) and your interior looks like a 5 star hotel in comparison!!!

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Yeah, we did get lucky.

Neat trick with the mothballs - I'd like to get the water out first on a warm day when the ice is thin in there, and pull all the foam out first, that'll go a long way towards keeping the spores down too, I think. Maybe drop a couple buckets of dehumidifier material in there too to keep it dry.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Fastest and best way to bed stuff---

http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=117172

The cosmetic things will certainly be cheap. It's the critical hardware I'm more worried about - All new running rigging isn't cheap, neither is a motor, which we'll need on the Potomac. The carpentry is the easy part. Rebedding all the deck fittings is a little more complicated, labor-wise, though not terribly expensive. We might want to install a winch, which we don't currently have.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
My boat had a bad gas smell from a split gas tank setting on the vberth.
Far worst than that was the porta potty that leaked A LOT.

Both set undetected in 110 degree summers for a couple of years, YUK

I took out the foam blocks and washed them in simple green and then rinsed them in a bucket with a light bleach and water mix and then let them air dry. After that I painted them with semi gloss white house paint to keep them from crumbling and leaving little pieces to clog the pump.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Replacement Foam

... and pull all the foam out first
My V222 had sat for about 8 years unused before I got it. A sad story. A guy I knew died of cancer... his family left it sitting in the yard for 5 years and gave it to a fellow at my church. He was going to fix it up then his hip went bad... then his shoulder went bad ... and he sold it to me.

I had to ditch all of my foam. Rats and/or field mice had made a home in the foam sometime over the past ... it was REALLY NASTY. I also found the remnants of a hornets nest in the galley cabinet (thank God it was only the remnants!) If you find you are in need of some foam, I recommend the pink extruded styrofoam boards you can find at Home Depot. They are closed foam, designed to be burried so they stand up to the elements, they DO NOT crumble into little beads and they are easy to shape. All around good stuff and ideal for our purposes.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
I meant the seat cushion foam. The white flotation stuff looks fine, but it's buried back in the ice right now.

Jan 10, 2010
venture v 2-22 sarasota
Hey Smitty:
The swing keel on that boat is one of the most crucial components to the boat. The swing keel and pivot pin needs to be removed and inspected to insure that there will be no surprises on the water.
This process is not for the faint hearted nor young scouts to be near or participating in the work. This opertion can be very hazardous, but nessary to complete the restoration. I know, I have completed this work myself.
Good luck....be safe
T.O.M.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
I hear you. I've been thinking hard about how to approach this. I've seen much advice on lifiting the boat up from the trailer with jacks and pallets, and I did work in a boatyard once upon a time - so I'll get it sorted eventually. And yes, no boys will be on or under a suspended boat. That'd be silly.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
For the seat foam you can try putting it in a large garbage bag and sucking out all the air and then spray fabreese in the end of the bag as the foam suck the ait back in--might take a coupple of trys.

Nov 23, 2010
Looks like mine

Well, you've certainly found the right place! Like you, I'm restoring a Mac 22 (78 model) and I've found the folks at this website to be extremely knowledgeable and willing to help new owners get their project into the water. Couldn't be doing what I'm doing without them. :dance:

Congratulations on your most excellent acquisition! Isn't this the same year / model as in the book FIX IT AND SAIL? (My copy's down in the car, it's night, raining, and I'm not going to go check right this moment.) If not, it's almost the same. If you don't have the book, and nobody's recommended it yet, you might want to get a copy for reference. I found it very informative, and a lot of fun to read at work when the boss isn't looking. :)

Good luck with your project, and to echo what's already been said: TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES!

It's getting near Christmas and I'm working straight through, so if I don't get back here before then, we wish you all a happy and safe Holiday Season.

VBR,

Pat
This one looks identical to mine except for some interior mods. Its a Venture 22. That model has the dropped down stern for the motor was what I was told. I at first thought it was for a swim ladder. LOL Mine is a 1971. They changed the company name to Macgregor later.

Ditto on what was said about the old salts helping out us newbies. If it was not for the internet there is no way in hobbs I'd be trying to do this. The folks in the boating forums are fantastic and the guys here are better then I ever imagined! It like having a think tank on your boat, especially these old gals, because some where some one always has been there done that and your following in their wake. Talk about an easy way to NOT make silly newbie mistakes!!!!!!
The way I see it is like this, I have a 40 plus year old boat and heaven only knows how many years experience on that particular model are in this forum. It don't get any sweeter, until your on the water!

Any questions you and the boys have, start a thread and ask. You will get some really decent education on any thing you can image asking about. Heck, I some times just start reading any thing that sounds good, especially on this site since it is macgregor and learn more in a couple of hours reading then I ever imagined possible! yeah you might get contradicting answers. What I do is pick what works for my comfort level ( OVER KILL is my middle ID LOL) and remember its about having fun!

Have a BLAST!!! :laugh:

Nov 23, 2010
Styrofoam and Paint?????

I took out the foam blocks and washed them in simple green and then rinsed them in a bucket with a light bleach and water mix and then let them air dry. After that I painted them with semi gloss white house paint to keep them from crumbling and leaving little pieces to clog the pump.

How did you get styrofoam to not melt from painting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.