Restoration, 22' Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Macgregor 22 Alexandria, VA
Brought home a boat today, a Macgregor 22' swing keel. Price paid, $300, includes boat, trailer, standing rigging, 2 sails, and a whole hell of a lot of work ahead of us.

The interior will need a complete stripping, cleaning, and rebuilding.

Yeah, that's ice down there.

In my defense, it's mainly for use by the Scouts I work with, and they'll be providing a considerable amount of the labor in this project. As the only guy in our unit who actually knows how to sail, though, I'll be on it quite a bit this year.

Wish us luck.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Hey Smithy: She's not as bad as she seems. I had a '71 V-222. What year is she and what's hull #. If she's an earlier model You can find hull number under starboard cockpit. Holes drillied in board. New have VIN # on stern starbord hull. Can't see it in the picture. One thing I discovered that galleys, sinks, reefers, etc had to go. A plastic bus tub worked as a sink. A portable ice box could be moved out of the way. We had the original Thetford Portapotti. The cabin was just too small for any fancy amenities in my humble opinion. We used to spend a week at Catalina Island on Penny Sue Too every summer. Like camping out only more fun. Outside view looks pretty good. Preety beefy trailer for a 22. You'll be making a lot af great memories for the scouts. Keep us posted. Fair Winds and Full Sails...

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
looks pretty nice for $300...
did it come with a rudder assembly ?

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
The trailer alone is probably worth twice what I paid. I have a smaller one at home, 4 bunk single axle, that I may put it on and sell this one to fundraise with.

The rudder came with - it's just in my truck. Nice kick-up model, looks pretty new compared to the rest of the boat. 2 sails in bags, and the cockpit cushions, and a swim ladder, are out there too.

I didn't get the hull number before I parked and covered it - we're expecting snow this week, and there's enough water in there now as it is. It's a 1972, though. Vent hatch is not on the forward deck, but in the forward part of the cabin roof and a bit off to port. It's nice, it swings wide open, and has a smaller screw-held pop up vent hole that looks pretty rainproof.

I need to wait until it's thawed out and pumped out before I can fully inventory the work, but the obvious stuff includes rebedding the bow eye and a couple of deck fittings which are loose, replacing all the foam with new foam and coverings, replace the dinette table, lose the sink/fridge and sort out an upper bunk and pantry space there, improve the head situation, inspect and repair wiring, and contemplate stanchions. As far as I can tell, there's no running rigging at all on board, so the standing wires are all that came with it. New halyards and sheets all around, yippee. And sails, if these are atrocious when I pull them out for inspection. The teak handrails need replacing, and the top hatch guides are missing altogether. I have plenty of woodworking tools, and friends with woodworking tools, so I'm sure we can fab up our own replacements easy enough. I gave my best friend a canoe yoke to replace, as the bolt holes in the old one had rotted through - and his replacement looked better than factory, and a perfect fit. Nice to have such friends.

The pit in my stomach says this boat hasn't sailed in a great many years. It was last titled in July 2009, so someone went to the trouble of doing the paperwork, but there are no registration numbers on the hull. The state of the inside looks like some of my grandparent's stuff, stuff that's been sitting there for a while.

One other thing I just noticed today, is that I don't see the fitting that locks the keel in the downward position. I see what looks like a hole for something, but no knob or button or anything... just the pivot bolt. The winch looks fine, and when I put some pressure on it, it felt connected to the keel itself. This will need sorting out before we go in the water.

My process will be to divide work into three categories: Essential, Important, and Cosmetic. While they won't all be done in that order, it's good to prioritize, especially when deciding how expensive to go with something. We'll pay good money for the things we need, and dumpster-dive the cosmetic stuff if we can make it look good with just our labor.

Again, I appreciate the support of this site. Just the bits I've read in the last couple days has taught me so much, and I am dearly thankful there are those out there who understand the world I just dove head-first into.

r.oril

Oct 29, 2008
MacGregor 26D and Catalina 30 26 - 30 Lancaster, CA
Nice find. Make sure to do a photo record of the restoration. Have Santa bring me the trailer.LOL!

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
If you are looking for the keel locking hole it's under the forward dinette seat near the mast support. When The keel is down there is a hole in the keel which "should" line up with the hole in the hull. You'll need a stainless steel bolt about 3-4 inches long, a matching nut, two rubber washer and two stainless washers. It appears you are on a lake. Be cautious running aground as this will bend the stainless boat and tear out the keel housing. This happens on Lake Mead. I found that an oak dowel as big as will fit through the hole packed with plumbers putty will do the trick and will break upon impact. Keep an extra supply handy. What is the extra spar section next to the mast? Looks to long to be the boom. A boat is a hole in the water into which you pour endless amount of money.:D Keep us posted and we'll advise when asked. Fair winds and full sails...

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Awesome Smithy

If you are going to be sailing in fresh water, I'd recommend a Briggs & Stratton 5 HP 4-stroke. They are simple, air cooled, reliable and CHEAP at $690 new. I went that way and really like it.

I noticed your ice box. My V222 came with a cooler in the V-birth. It is a cleaver arrangement. A hole cut in the V-birth the size of a medium cooler and then some nylon straps (like seat belt straps) draped into the hole and secured to the V-birth top side. The cooler sits in the hole and rests on the straps. Adjust the straps until the top of the cooler is flush with the top of the v-birth. The cushions can sit on top of the cooler and none-the wiser. You have a place to store your food and you recover the room.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Good tips, thanks.

I'm on the Potomac river, in the tidal section just south of DC, so the water is officially "brackish".

Thanks for the info on the bolt-hole - I thought there was to be a piece of standing hardware there, but knowing it's removable puts me at great ease. I like the oak dowel tip, too, for surprise aground moments without breaking anything.

And the idea of mounting a cooler under the V cushions is just slick. Once it's thawed and pumped out, I'll get a better look under there with better light and pictures, and get some measurements so I can start planning new bits to be put in place.

That piece attached to the mast is the boom. I've not measured it, but it only extends about a foot forward of the pulpit, and ends at the cabin.

Jan 19, 2010
Smithy

I've been thinking about your sea scouts use for your sailboat and wanted to share some experiences I've had camping in my V222.

Last summer my son and I spent 4 days and 3 nights out on the boat in the Albemarle sound. It was too small for the two of us in it current configuration. The V-birth is useless for a bunk for anyone over 5'3". I tried to sleep in it the first night and the top of my head hung over the edge and I could not turn over in it. My chest hit the cabin top. Around 3 a.m. I crawled out into the cockpit. My son slept fine in the quarter birth (port side)

On the second night my son slept in the quarter birth again and I slept in the converted galley. It was better but not great.

A second problem we had was that our stuff seemed to be everywhere and never at hand when we needed it. If we had been more than two people it would have been impossible.

My renovations for this summer will include (like you) taking out the galley. The pot I use to boil crabs will double as my galley sink. I will then set it up so I can put supports across the salon walkway and make the entire cabin into one big bunk. I've measured it out and it looks like an inflatable queen mattress will just fit. I'm going to rig tote bins up in the V-birth and secure them. The V-birth will be used to store sails and totebags etc and that should get all of the stuff off of the floor and out from underfoot.

BTW I'm only a few hours south of you and a former scout leader myself. If you ever want to do an outing at Smith Mountain Lake contact me. The state park has slips that are free on a first come, first served basis to all park patrons (I have a life pass).

Have fun planning,

r

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
I'm hoping the sardine-pack will work, because we're only going to be aboard for 36 hours. Don't need much stuff, a bit of vittles, and I've seen them pack in tight in wilderness shelters before... Otherwise I'm not taking nearly as many kids out this year as last.

I'll definately keep you in mind for your offer. Thank you.

Feb 8, 2009
Macgregor 22, 26S Norfolk
Smithy--way to go. Great deal. The only way to beat it would be free (I friend gave me a 1980 V-22.
I also spent my time with the scouts. Have 2 and a half eagles amongst my children.
By the way am parting out my Mac if you need something.
Bill

Feb 8, 2009
Macgregor 22, 26S Norfolk
Smithy---be SURE to inspect the keel--the winch, the cable, attachments, the pivot pin, and the keel itself, esp where the pivot pin goes through. I did alot of of prep before my first sail with my 22. Except, assumed my keel was okay. In the middle of the lake under sail with the keel down, power boat wakes cause it to start rocking, then it left us forever. The pivot pin was still in, so can only assume the keel cracked where the pivot hole was. Mine was cast iron--yours is probably fiberglass encased steel.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
I just went over my list of things to do. I've yet to inspect the sails, and I know we need new running rigging all around. And a cheap 2 stroke engine. I may be calling you in a month or two.

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
What's the suggested manner in which the keel should be inspected? There's no room on the trailer to lower it, and I'm not sure how to do that in the water... do we jack the boat up on the trailer to make room and check it?

Oct 24, 2008
Macgregor 25 (1984) Wildomar, So. Cal.
What's the suggested manner in which the keel should be inspected? There's no room on the trailer to lower it, and I'm not sure how to do that in the water... do we jack the boat up on the trailer to make room and check it?
You'll definitely want to make room to lower the keel (at least the front portion) so that you can inspect around the pivot and lock bolt holes.

Do a search on this forum for removing the boat from the trailer for ideas. You might be able to get away with jacking up the front end of the boat, then using 2x6 and blocks to bring the hull off the trailer just enough to do the work. Just be sure to be careful in this work.

Jan 19, 2010
Smithy

I saw old guy's mention of a mac he is parting out and it reminded me that I have a friend who is converting a Mac 21 into a power camper boat. All of the sail rigging and hardware is on the block. His is a 1969 and as such all of the deck hardware is SOLID stainless instead of extruded and thin. He also has a new Genoa (still in the bag unopened). If any of this stuff sounds interesting I'll put you two in touch.

r

Smithy

Dec 13, 2010
Smithy

I saw old guy's mention of a mac he is parting out and it reminded me that I have a friend who is converting a Mac 21 into a power camper boat. All of the sail rigging and hardware is on the block. His is a 1969 and as such all of the deck hardware is SOLID stainless instead of extruded and thin. He also has a new Genoa (still in the bag unopened). If any of this stuff sounds interesting I'll put you two in touch.

r

Please do. That sounds like an excellent opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.