reported sailboat manufacturing plant closures??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Its all pretty simple. When you look at middle class families, in what has now become the "traditional family" in America, who has time to sail?? Years ago, the most the kids ever had to do was watch TV. Now with the advent of video games, cellphones, and the glut of social media, sailing has a tough time competing. My kids are not typical, but still had a major battle to get them to enjoy sailing. Even now, they enjoy it, but don't want to take the time to do it. Beyond a 1 week sailing vacation once a year, they will not go. Getting them to enjoy it, took a fast boat, the right lake, the right music, the right video game (Assassins Creed with the sailing ships) and a growing level of maturity. IF you think the average family is going to go sailing, GOOD LUCK! Too much competition. Truth is, most kids grow up in single parent homes, hate their parents, or at least barely tolerate being with them. My kids constantly state how unusual our "normal" family is. So you can forget going sailing, not going to happen.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The primary reason for shipping in containers is the cost is a lot less than a boat sitting on a trailer on top or int the belly of a container ship. If shipping, do not ship the mast on the boat but separate as shipping of a boat is overall length times width. Now that was a rip off. I was considering at one time as a dealer buying boats from Europe shipped over in containers but the deal fell thru due to a lot of loose ends on the other part.

As for the vacations, Ann and I enjoy hiking in the mountains and some of the breathtaking views are beautiful not to mention the 340 degree views from my home. I can tell you it is quite windy up here on the top. We have a 2000 27 foot camper we tow. Sad that I have not sailed in a while but it will come back. A lot to be said getting a way for a while from sailing when you are a long time dealer but now retired

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Its all pretty simple. When you look at middle class families, in what has now become the "traditional family" in America, who has time to sail?? Years ago, the most the kids ever had to do was watch TV. Now with the advent of video games, cellphones, and the glut of social media, sailing has a tough time competing. My kids are not typical, but still had a major battle to get them to enjoy sailing. Even now, they enjoy it, but don't want to take the time to do it. Beyond a 1 week sailing vacation once a year, they will not go. Getting them to enjoy it, took a fast boat, the right lake, the right music, the right video game (Assassins Creed with the sailing ships) and a growing level of maturity. IF you think the average family is going to go sailing, GOOD LUCK! Too much competition. Truth is, most kids grow up in single parent homes, hate their parents, or at least barely tolerate being with them. My kids constantly state how unusual our "normal" family is. So you can forget going sailing, not going to happen.
Maybe true, but IPs were never designed, built, or sold as a family boat. The only kids I've ever seen on one were grandkids.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The primary reason for shipping in containers is the cost is a lot less than a boat sitting on a trailer on top or int the belly of a container ship. If shipping, do not ship the mast on the boat but separate as shipping of a boat is overall length times width. Now that was a rip off. I was considering at one time as a dealer buying boats from Europe shipped over in containers but the deal fell thru due to a lot of loose ends on the other part.
Actually Dave shipping a boat on a trailer RORO (roll on roll off) is generally cheaper than in a container. The downside of RORO is the limited routes the RORO boats run, they typically do the major auto delivey routes. There also is a greater potential for loading/transport damage during RORO. Custom loading on deck is possible but much less common now and usually only done for big 40 footer+ delivery.
True point about the masts! Most masts on container-able boats are less that 40 feet in length and fit inside so no extra cost. If they are longer, they usually are sleeved and shipped in two pieces. All Selden sticks over 40 feet come the the USA in this way in containers.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You have to remember I have been out of the industry for a while but during my time I worked with one exporter who handled a lot of boats. Boats went out of Baltimore, Savannah and a couple of other ports for me. I shipped both ways both RORO and container. Container was cheaper for me if applicable. Shipping to Europe, Middle East, Africa, Australia, Tiawan, China, New Zealand, Thailand and Russia are some of the countries I shipped to. So I am confused what you are saying but again things have changed. As for shipping, there was only one claim with one boat shipped to Australia. The buyer made false claims with the exporter, importer, shipping company, Austrailian Customs and me trying to get some of his monies back as the shipping costs was appx. $15,000. When confronted with this allegation, I sent photos of the boat how it was prepped for transport as it was my policy to always take photos. In that email with the photos, I advised the customer that Australian Customs had called me advising they were going to search and tear the boat apart as he made them mad. They asked if there was any contraband in the boat and I said no asking them not to damage the boat. I then sent another email to the customer advising to apologize to the Australian Customs and pay the addl. storage charges he had incurred. I had told this clown not to mistreat customs which he did. Three weeks later came an apology.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
Nick Hake, the owner of Seaward Yachts has bought Island Packet
Where are you getting that information from? Nick Hake does not even own Seaward and i cannot find any collaboration to your claim.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Slightly off, Nick Hake sold Seaward but still runs it. So Seaward Yachts bought Island Packet with Hake at the forefront of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.