reported sailboat manufacturing plant closures??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
But again, I can't afford anything anyway; even the smallest Beneteau, the First 20, is like $80K. That would probably be where I wanted to be, because it would be a good Portsmouth racer on our lake.
$80k and you are getting into First 25 territory. Figure $45K for a new F20. They are just HOOTS to sail. The one I would get for bashing around on a small a lake is the ASA version with the huge cockpit and small cuddy, called the First 22. Hey, only $35K!!!

http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/5483282166.html

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Interesting conversation we have here. Gotta say, I don't understand the retail boating industry. There is a major power boat manufacturer down county who builds $3M boats that look like 70' hatteras boats and he can't make them fast enough. And while I suppose the owners have little concern about fuel cost for those two thirsty 1,800HP diesels, he did tell me that a round trip to Norfolk would consume 5,000 gallons. Seemed sorta proud of that. I could buy a full suit of suit of sails in Annapolis, throw them away in Norfolk, and sail home on new sails for that kind of jack. And I wouldn't have to listen to two screaming diesels. Even the smaller production cabin cruisers pull up to our fuel dock and dump $2,500 worth of fuel into the tanks, good for maybe two days running. No thanks.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
$80k and you are getting into First 25 territory. Figure $45K for a new F20. They are just HOOTS to sail.
As I continue to think about the rebuild I need to do on my mast step, and yet not start to tear the boat apart (haven't even un-tarped yet this year,) I WISH I could buy any of the 3 low-end Beneteaus brand new. Wouldn't it be fun to wear them out yourself, rather than to fix them up after 20 years of someone else? Of course, stepping up to a 25 would be very nice, except our lake marina caps at 24'. That means I go old skool and get a used First 235! :biggrin: Had a former friend who had the 235 fin keel, and he swears it had the original keel removed and replaced by a J24 keel (or something.) He thought he was good, but I know he didn't know how to make it go fast. He never adjusted his jib fairleads, let alone installed remote adjustable fairleads. And he never played his traveler, either. Man, the things you can do to make a boat like that go faster... :yeah:

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Interesting conversation we have here. Gotta say, I don't understand the retail boating industry. There is a major power boat manufacturer down county who builds $3M boats that look like 70' hatteras boats and he can't make them fast enough. And while I suppose the owners have little concern about fuel cost for those two thirsty 1,800HP diesels, he did tell me that a round trip to Norfolk would consume 5,000 gallons. Seemed sorta proud of that. I could buy a full suit of suit of sails in Annapolis, throw them away in Norfolk, and sail home on new sails for that kind of jack. And I wouldn't have to listen to two screaming diesels. Even the smaller production cabin cruisers pull up to our fuel dock and dump $2,500 worth of fuel into the tanks, good for maybe two days running. No thanks.
Gunni, Gunni... You just don't think like rich people! :poke::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I can't find the original thread on Marlowe Hunter being closed on a Friday afternoon. But I couldn't help but think that maybe it was Friday afternoon and all but four people had gone home for the weekend. Maybe that's a far-fetched thought, though.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
As I continue to think about the rebuild I need to do on my mast step, and yet not start to tear the boat apart (haven't even un-tarped yet this year,) I WISH I could buy any of the 3 low-end Beneteaus brand new. Wouldn't it be fun to wear them out yourself, rather than to fix them up after 20 years of someone else? Of course, stepping up to a 25 would be very nice, except our lake marina caps at 24'. That means I go old skool and get a used First 235! :biggrin: Had a former friend who had the 235 fin keel, and he swears it had the original keel removed and replaced by a J24 keel (or something.) He thought he was good, but I know he didn't know how to make it go fast. He never adjusted his jib fairleads, let alone installed remote adjustable fairleads. And he never played his traveler, either. Man, the things you can do to make a boat like that go faster... :yeah:
Get a 235!! Come on over to our side! There are few out there for sale..... Just sayin.... ;) Also, I am adding a new traveller and adjustable cars in the next few days to mine..... Launch on the 2nd.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I can't find the original thread on Marlowe Hunter being closed on a Friday afternoon. But I couldn't help but think that maybe it was Friday afternoon and all but four people had gone home for the weekend. Maybe that's a far-fetched thought, though.
Thread got closed.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Thread got closed.
It was the author's first post to this forum and the plant is not closed. We speak with them daily. Sometimes people have weird agendas and we try not to support those.

This sure has turned into an interesting thread, though!

Nov 8, 2010
OK I need another boat like I need another hole in my head, but if I DID.... I'd be on my way with a $8K check to buy this beauty. It's a baby BlueJ. The same hull as the new First 20 with a backstayed rig.

http://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/5472903796.html

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Timely. From today's marine trades:

Sailboat sales declined 25.3 percent in 2015, returning to 2013 levels after seeing a spike in 2014, when new sales rose 33.9 percent.

Corresponding retail sales were down 24.2 percent and totaled $195.3 million. The average retail price of a sailboat rose 1.5 percent, to $34,876, in 2015, according to new data released by the National Marine Manufacturers Association.

The bulk of sales last year were in the 12- to 19-foot range, followed by 11 feet and smaller.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Good info. Speaking of used boats, I just referred a friend who owns an H240 to you. I hope he calls!

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
"I have the original receipt (from PO) for our S2 36 and it cost $88K brand new back in 1978"

In 1978 I could buy a brand new Pontiac Trans Am (Smokey and the Bandit) for less than $8K which is 11 times cheaper than the 1978 S2 36. Today I can buy a 2016 Camaro V8 for about $35K. Now 11 times that is $385K so a $200K sailboat should seem cheap!:biggrin:

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
just so you can have another comparison i bought a brand new 1965 chevelle ss for $2930.34 in 1965 off the showroom floor on an amex card ...and ran like hell to the bank to get it financed.....

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Woody,
You should have kept the Chevelle; probably worth 50 thousand today!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just a few comments:
Happy to hear that Hunter is still in operation. Again, they have been innovative thru the years & hopefully remain viable in the future.
Sorry to hear that IP has stopped production. Hopefully they can reorganize & make a go of it again. If I could afford/justify a 370 or 380, they would be on my short list of desireable boats. But I am not going to spend $200-250K for a ten year old boat.
Regarding European boats, I presently own a Beneteau and I am generally happy with the boat that was 6 years old when I purchased it. Still doing upgrades after 3 years; however, after looking at seven boats of the same vintage, most of the owners were "upside down" on the mortgages compared to the boat values. Glad that I purchased a used one. I wouldn't consider a late model European boat because the exterior as well as interior designs have no appeal; they don't look like a boat---just my opinion.
Still believe that the economy has a major impact on middle class families since the recession. People don't feel secure enough to purchase expensive toys. Oil & gas companies have shed over 100,000 jobs in the past 18 months; this doesn't include jobs lost down the supply chain. Bet these guys aren't looking for a new sail boat.
Finally, I have read about the evolution of the American male. Boomers and older generation "X"ers tend to be more hands on types. They sail, collect & refurbish classic cars, hunt, fish, enjoy boating, ride Harley's, etc. younger "X" ers and millennials tend to be more into working out, triathlons, computer games, fantasy football, etc. they spend their leisure time & discretionary money much differently. Not many of these guys are into sailing nor boating. Unfortunately there is a major downward shift in the recreational industries that were (are) supported by middle aged and older individuals.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Unfortunately there is a major downward shift in the recreational industries that were (are) supported by middle aged and older individuals.
so what happens when us old farts are gone ....do they take a trackho and smash all the boats..... if that's the case i may never die....... somebody has to keep the light burning

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
so what happens when us old farts are gone ....do they take a trackho and smash all the boats..... if that's the case i may never die....... somebody has to keep the light burning
I don't know Woody, perhaps there will be many "junk yards" with old sailboats, Harley's, & classic cars! Or maybe some of these younger guys will start having mid life crises and buy all of our "old fart" toys!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Or maybe some of these younger guys will start having mid life crises and buy all of our "old fart" toys!
Oh, yeah. :yikes:

By then, however, I don't think it'll be high on my priority list. :)

Nov 8, 2010
"I have the original receipt (from PO) for our S2 36 and it cost $88K brand new back in 1978"

In 1978 I could buy a brand new Pontiac Trans Am (Smokey and the Bandit) for less than $8K which is 11 times cheaper than the 1978 S2 36. Today I can buy a 2016 Camaro V8 for about $35K. Now 11 times that is $385K so a $200K sailboat should seem cheap!:biggrin:
This is the truth of the situation.. For the most part the relative cost of new boats has actually gotten better. What HAS changed is a depression in true middle-class incomes, and a change in priorities.

When my parents bought their sailboat in the 70's (28 foot Ericson) they re-arranged their entire life priorities to make it happen. We ATE differently to accelerate gathering the down payment. Very few young families would do that now. Way too much other things to distract and spend money on.

When I heard a lot people say that they can't afford it, it often means that don't want it bad enough. No problem with that, but let's call it what it (often) is.

Status
Not open for further replies.