Replacing my electric stove

Jun 26, 2015
Catalina 36 MK II Burred Civic Marina
Hi I purchased a 1976 Catalina 27' last summer that came outfitted with a two burner electric stove. Why on earth anyone would want an electric stove on a boat of this size is beyond me. I've been looking around and from what I've read so far it looks like the easiest and cheapest option would be to replace it with a Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove. Has anyone done this swap out? I live in Canada and I'm not sure where the best place to purchase the unit would be.

Also if there is anyone here that has photos or advice on how best to go about this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
First, I'm sure you've heard the jokes about alcohol stoves: the pressurized ones are good for converting your boat to an insurance claim, and the non-pressurized ones are... well, let's say you could probably boil water faster if you drank the alcohol and rubbed two sticks together... ;)
Where in Canada are you located? I'm sure Steveston Marine has Origo stoves, or my friends at Martin Marine in North Van.

druid

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Propane is a pain on a boat - SO many ABYC hoops you have to jump through if you want insurance (I talked to one guy that insisted his insurance company would NOT insure him at all if he had propane on board). That said, I've used propane on all my boats for over 30 years with nary a problem (And the Insurance Investigator I talked to said he hadn't seen a propane-caused fire in all his 25 years). But.. if you want to go the propane route, be sure it's installed up to ABYC standards if you want to be able to get insurance.

druid

Jun 26, 2015
First, I'm sure you've heard the jokes about alcohol stoves: the pressurized ones are good for converting your boat to an insurance claim, and the non-pressurized ones are... well, let's say you could probably boil water faster if you drank the alcohol and rubbed two sticks together... ;)
Where in Canada are you located? I'm sure Steveston Marine has Origo stoves, or my friends at Martin Marine in North Van.

druid
Hey Druid. Thanks for the reply.
I live in Vancouver but the boat is out at point Roberts. I figured the alcohol stove would be easiest because it's a size match and I could just do a straight swap. I'd love a propane option that would take the small threaded canisters. Have you seen anything like that around?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Hi I purchased a 1976 Catalina 27' last summer that came outfitted with a two burner electric stove. Why on earth anyone would want an electric stove on a boat of this size is beyond me. I've been looking around and from what I've read so far it looks like the easiest and cheapest option would be to replace it with a Origo non-pressurized alcohol stove. Has anyone done this swap out? I live in Canada and I'm not sure where the best place to purchase the unit would be.

Also if there is anyone here that has photos or advice on how best to go about this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
First of all, the Origo stove is a great choice. Ignore all the nonsense about them not cooking well. They work very well. Plenty hot for boiling water, pan frying, etc., etc. Cooked a great pasta meal on mine last night and made scrambled eggs and coffee on it this morning. I can tell no actual difference between it and the Force 10 propane cooktop that it replaced. If it's not fast enough for you then probably you should go with a blowtorch.
Installation is very simple because there are no tanks, plumbing, etc. You can get the dimensions on line. When I replaced my Force 10 cooktop it was essentially a drop in replacement.
Oh, and here's a hint for filling the canisters (that I got from a listmate on the Ericson list): Drill a 3/16" or 1/4" hole in the bottom of an empty soup can. When it's time to fill the canisters (cold and outside of the stove, of course), just set the soup can over the opening and pour the alcohol into it. The small hole controls the rate of flow and it makes a great funnel. No mess!
Edit: To be completely accurate, I should mention that my stove is a Cookmate, which is an Origo knock-off. Both the stove and the canisters are virtually indistinguishable from an Origo.

Last edited:

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Hey Druid. Thanks for the reply.
I live in Vancouver but the boat is out at point Roberts. I figured the alcohol stove would be easiest because it's a size match and I could just do a straight swap. I'd love a propane option that would take the small threaded canisters. Have you seen anything like that around?
I did that on my Cal 25 and on my Venture 22. Propane campstove bolted down with the screw-on portable tank. Unfortunately VERY non-ABYC and if the surveyor sees it you won't be able to get insurance (and hence, moorage!). You could remove it while the survey is done, tell him you use it in thc cockpit. But down below it wouldn't be "legal".
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-2-burner-camp-stove-0762012p.html#.Voh_p9QViko

druid

Jun 26, 2015
First of all, the Origo stove is a great choice. Ignore all the nonsense about them not cooking well. They work very well. Plenty hot for boiling water, pan frying, etc., etc. Cooked a great pasta meal on mine last night and made scrambled eggs and coffee on it this morning. I can tell no actual difference between it and the Force 10 propane cooktop that it replaced. If it's not fast enough for you then probably you should go with a blowtorch.
Installation is very simple because there are no tanks, plumbing, etc. You can get the dimensions on line. When I replaced my Force 10 cooktop it was essentially a drop in replacement.
Oh, and here's a hint for filling the canisters (that I got from a listmate on the Ericson list): Drill a 3/16" or 1/4" hole in the bottom of an empty soup can. When it's time to fill the canisters (cold and outside of the stove, of course), just set the soup can over the opening and pour the alcohol into it. The small hole controls the rate of flow and it makes a great funnel. No mess!
Edit: To be completely accurate, I should mention that my stove is a Cookmate, which is an Origo knock-off. Both the stove and the canisters are virtually indistinguishable from an Origo.

Yupp I think my mind is made up. The Origo seems to be the way to go. That or the Cookmate. Thanks for the pro tip!