Repairing Mast Foot 95 Hunter 26

May 16, 2020
Hunter 26 Md
Anyone have experience repairing the mast foot on a 1995 Hunter 26? Any advice is welcome.

We tried to raise the mast today and forgot the baby stays. The mast then pitched to the side and ripped out the mast foot. I was going to order a new foot from this sites store but I am not sure how to repair the base of the mast.

Thanks

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!! These threads provide some insight on repairing the mast and foot.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Search the archives for Hunter 26/260. You should find it there. How far is the rivet hole from edge of mast? Then send a private message with phone. Former dealer involved with the design of your boat.

Can anyone advise recent former threads on this? There was a thread on hunter 23.5 broken mast foot about 20-25 threads back.

Crazy dave

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Ouch! Sorry to hear about this. That must have been quite a surprise when she came down. As mentioned, there are a few good threads on this for the H26 and 23.5.

You have two options, and one doesn't look possible. That is, dressing the end of the mast and installing a new foot. It looks like you lost a significant amount of mast material around the base edge of the mast. I dont think cleaning it up is a good option, judging from the pics.

The second option is cutting off the damaged portion of the base (3/4-1") and putting on a new foot. Then you have to either shorten your stays, or raise the mast back to original height with a spacer on the deck. There is usually not enough adjustment left in the stays to shorten them enough. There is a good thread on making a plastic spacer.

Good luck, and let us know of your progress and solution. You arent the first, and you wont be the last with this problem.

Sep 30, 2016
Here is the link to the thread with the same mast problem- ripped out foot- and discussion of the repair. I think the H26 is pretty much the same as the H23.5. Mast Base Rivet Holes Sheared

Has the OP ghosted us? First and only post, then poof.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020
Hunter 26 Md
Sorry for the late reply. I am near Annapolis MD and have found a rigger that is currently repairing the mast.

He is going to cut off about 0.5 - 1" from the base and weld the crack, then reattach a new mast foot. He will then create a spacer to keep the height the same.

The rigger is an very experienced shop that works on offshore sailboats so I am comfortable with his plan of repair.

Sep 30, 2016
Awesome! Sounds like a good plan. Thanks for reposting. Be sure to post up some pics of the repair when you get her all set up!! I’d like to see it.

happy sailing