• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
Mind giving us amateurs a lesson? What paint did you use and how much did you thin it? I've used perfection and if I didn't thin it, it was impossible and still hard not to get orange peel even with thinning it 10%. I guess thats why you did wet sanding between coats eh?
One of the things I found with Perfection (love the paint, BTW) is that different colors have different viscosities. Don't know why, but when I painted the hull the white was too thin out of the can to thin (does that make sense?) but the blue I used for the cove stripes and boot stripe needed thinning to almost 20% to roll well. Unfortunately with any 2-part urethane it gets expensive to do much testing beforehand.

One thing I did which made the biggest difference was to use 1/4" nap velour rollers. Even a 3/8" nap roller left lots of orange peel. Best I can recommend is to use the shortest nap roller you can find and try thinning a bit more. And if you can, mix the smallest batch you can from the can - use tiny measuring cups - and test :).

For the dodger I used Interlux Brightsides - I tried to find Perfection but it's pretty much unobtanium right now. The wet sanding between coats was just as you said, to smooth the surface for the next coat. I started with 220 grit moving to 320 and 400 before the final coat. The finish is not glass-smooth but I'll hit it with the buffer and compound in a few months to polish it up.

May 8, 2013
Awesome work !
When are you going to take over Marlow Hunter and start designing and building the perfect cruising sailboats ⛵
Hah! Notwithstanding that the perfect cruising boat probably doesn't exist, I'd lose the equivalent of the current national debt on each boat trying to make it perfect :biggrin:.

May 8, 2013
Deck enclosure/hard dodger, Part (insert random number here):

Window time. I had previously trimmed the acrylic to fit the openings and after letting the top paint cure for a few days it was time to start closing it up. I had debated the best way to seal them in. One of the guys on the dock said he did his windows with 3M 2-sided tape. At first I didn't think that would work well but a local surveyor stopped by (he has been watching my progress) and said the same thing about the tape. I then thought, well dummy, this is the same tape that is holding the fender flares and most of the trim onto your recently painted truck. Maybe there IS something to this idea! So after a little more contemplation, the windows went in using 2-sided tape:

the tape will not completely seal the window borders though, so after they were in I taped off the edges and went to town with Dow 795:

And here she is:

Next up, companionway doors!

Cheers,

Mark

Oct 13, 2021
Hunter 40 Legend Oolaga
Wow! Read all 54 pages over the last couple of days - Great Job Mark. I also own a Hunter 40 that had storm damage last year.
Couple questions: Sugar Scoop - Did you add this?
You have any photos of the Mast down and the Mast Plate on the deck? looking how the wires run thru the mast at the deck level.

Many thanks,
CSM

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Deck enclosure/hard dodger, Part (insert random number here):

Window time. I had previously trimmed the acrylic to fit the openings and after letting the top paint cure for a few days it was time to start closing it up. I had debated the best way to seal them in. One of the guys on the dock said he did his windows with 3M 2-sided tape. At first I didn't think that would work well but a local surveyor stopped by (he has been watching my progress) and said the same thing about the tape. I then thought, well dummy, this is the same tape that is holding the fender flares and most of the trim onto your recently painted truck. Maybe there IS something to this idea! So after a little more contemplation, the windows went in using 2-sided tape:

the tape will not completely seal the window borders though, so after they were in I taped off the edges and went to town with Dow 795:

And here she is:

Next up, companionway doors!

Cheers,

Mark
Looks very “stealthy”…

nice.

Greg

May 8, 2013
Wow! Read all 54 pages over the last couple of days - Great Job Mark. I also own a Hunter 40 that had storm damage last year.
Couple questions: Sugar Scoop - Did you add this?
You have any photos of the Mast down and the Mast Plate on the deck? looking how the wires run thru the mast at the deck level.

Many thanks,
CSM
Welcome aboard! I did not add the sugar scoop. When I bought the boat I was told by the broker (or maybe the PO) that the SS was a factory option. I do know from my hull painting process that the hull had to have been painted when the SS was added since the original boot stripe was gel coat - and did not extend to the sugar scoop. So my guess is that either the factory added it and painted the hull or whoever added it later did it. Either way, an expensive option all told. Having said that I love it!

I looked through all my photos and no pics of the mast base - sorry. I did remove and reseal it and can tell you there are two holes in the base for the cabling to pass through and the holes are not big enough for what we want wired through our mast these days. If I had not changed the wiring for the LED lights to 18 gauge there would not have been enough space for all the wiring, coax and cabling. The original wiring ran straight through the base, through the compression post to a junction box in the bilge. I will be changing that and adding a waterproof junction box at the base of the mast for wiring access.

Cheers,

Mark

Jan 17, 2010
Hunter Legend 40 Edgewater
I have the same boat and need to replace the rudder bearings and need information on how to tackle the project. Have you taken a look at your rudder bearings?