Rebedding Side Windows 40.5

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
It's rained a lot in Seattle in the last couple of weeks, and i found a source to collect fresh water on the boat... The port side windows is leaking profusluy, so time to rebed.

I bet that's it's happened before to many of you, any tips on best way to proceed?

Many thanks as always

Frederick
Pardon My French
IMG_5827.jpg

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
DOW 795 (about $8 a tube from Amazon) is specifically made for that type of application. Your method of install depends greatly on how your windows are set onto the cabin side. Are there screws at all? Are they set in a recess? The materials are inexpensive, but the will be some sweat equity in removing the windows carefully and getting off all the old silicone. When you reinstall you want to carefully mask everything off. Whatever securement method is used, you want to be sure the windows are not pressed too tightly so that all the silicone is squeezed out. There will always be expansion and contraction with heat, so you need a thick cured bead and room around the windows for them to move (slightly).

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Thanks Cloud driver this is helpful. The windows are recessed and screwed in. (And large). Another good project.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Thanks Cloud driver this is helpful. The windows are recessed and screwed in. (And large). Another good project.
For screws the install is pretty easy but there are a few things to keep in mind.
When tightening the screws you don't want to turn them down too tight so you don't squeeze out the bead and make it too thin.
After it cures overnight, then remove the screws. You have two options;
1. Leave the screws out, fill the holes with a dab of silicone. You'll barley notice it, and trust me when I say the window will hold just fine. I did my own boat this way.
2. Put the screws back in, but you MUST slightly over-drill screw holes one size larger than the screw size. This is critical, it allows for expansion and contraction of the plastic glass. The factory probably did not do this which is why they leaked to begin with. Only over-drill the plexiglass, don't over-drill the pilot hole into fiberglass/core material. When you put the screws back in, put a nice dab of 795 on the screw and in the hole and turn them in firmly, but still by hand.

BTW, when I store 795 after opening I put a long deck screw in the tip then wrap just the end tightly with plastic wrap for several turns. Store in the fridge, can last weeks.

Last edited:

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
Just did 4 windows on my 35.5. Had the local glass shop cut new plexiglass. Used the DOW 795, take your time and prep. I put some small spacers in between the window and the window track. This kept the sealant from all pushing out when I compressed it. It is so so nice not to have leaks! Good luck and feel free to reach out with any questions. Its a lot of work! : -)
IMG_3154.jpg
IMG_3247.jpg
DSC_3691.jpg
IMG_3254.jpg

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
NFG....nice work..I have a couple of questions.....did you do anything with the white background before installing your new glass and if not does that show thru the smoked glass?

what kind of pressure did you put on the glass while it was curing?.....does the glass stay in place or do you need to apply outside pressure to hold it there and if so how do you keep that equal across the entire surface?..thanks.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Thank you. I used a lot of sealant, I filled the "gap" between windows with sealant just like Hunter did. When I set the plaxi and pushed it into the sealant it did not move again. I had read in many of the forums that I may not need any pressure on the windows while they cured and I did not. I am very happy with how they turned out and have 4 new widows. The old ones were crazed, cracked and leaking. (25 years old). Two full days of work and $300 in materials.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
make sure the 795 you get is well within it's expiry date! tends to not set up if it's out of date or has been mishandled

Jun 13, 2010
Hunter 1994 Hunter 35.5 Legend walker, mn
Couple more
how long did you leave it setup before removing the paper off the glass and the tape on the outside
was there much of a mess in the inside from calking squeezing out or were you extra careful not to allow that to happen?...
Thanks for your response..I'm purchasing a 35.5 that needs that repair...

Lastly how many tubes of 795 will I need for both sides...and what did you use for spacers?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Two tubes should do it. Advise against using screws. Drilling can easily crack the plastic, try it on a scrap piece. Besides it looks nicer without the screws. I did mine and posted pics and materials used in the o'day big boat forum.
3m vhb tape gave the perfect spacing and helps hold the window in place while curing. Painting the areas over the fiberglass with silicone spray paint also helps the finished appearance.
Sail magazine has a good article on line. Btw, my forward hatch as a steep curve to it and the 795 has held the flat panel to it without leaks for four years now. I kept a pile of bricks on it while curing.

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
I would get a tube per window, they only cost me $7 a tube, better to have more then not enough. I pulled the paper off the glass the same day and then started the clean up 24 hours later. The spacers are 3m vhb tape as njlarry mentioned above. Good luck.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
nfg2u- in your pic one- all black- is that all sealant that you had to clean off- as in the following pic 2- now all white?
I have o do my big side front salon window in my H42!

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
@eianm Yes all the sealant had to be scraped out and off. Its wasn't horrible but it took some time. I sanded some of the area as well. The better you prep the better your results will be. I re-filled the entire area with sealant just as it was before. Hope that helps.