Pump for washing the deck

Sep 20, 2018
Hunter 260 Rockwall
We have found it necessary at times to wash the deck, grill, and other parts of the boat while we are out sailing for a few days. Spilt wine and food, fish drippings, and dirty feet marks.

I was thinking of throwing a bilge pump overboard and using the hose. Figure that's better than my current bucket routine, and having an extra bilge pump onboard sounds like a good idea.

What do you guys use?

Size of pump?

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Take a look at anchor wash down pumps. Designed to wash mud off anchors, aim the hose at the deck instead of the anchor and chain.

Also get some adult sippy cups to take care of the w(h)ine problem. :)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I like the portable bilge pump idea for a small boat, but would be concerned with pressure. Those centrifuge pumps move water, but with almost no pressure. Any 'head' between intake and exhaust really slows the water flow down, which is why you should not count on the gallons-per-minute noted in the model number, only about half of that for any rise at all. The wash-deck pumps you see in West Marine or on-line are diaphragm pumps which move less water (3-5 gpm), but build pressure (30 - 60 psi) equivalent to a garden hose. For rinsing mud from an anchor or shooting a stream of water, you'll need that pressure. Personally, I've found for most rinsing, a 1-gallon bucket with a short line is a great way to move water from overboard to deck, and the cost and maintenance are certainly less!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
If you start spraying seawater around indiscriminately on things like grills, you are going to have to replace them much more frequently that you can imagine!
For small cleanups around the cockpit, I'd put in a freshwater shower hose in a cockpit locker and keep the seawater out on deck or on the anchor.
Do remember, whatever pump you choose it should be a 'continuous duty' pump.

Sep 20, 2018
Hunter 260 Rockwall
That's a great idea! I can use the wash down pump to also clean my anchor and chain rode. I have never heard of wash down pumps before. Thanks for the tip!

Any recommendations on brand and GPM? From what I gather, Johnson pumps are made in the USA. They seem to consistently have better reviews than Jabsco, West Marine and some of the other brands. The Johnson 3.5 GPM seems like it should do the trick.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
West Marine pumps are rebranded pumps from some other manufacturer.

Pumps take electricity. How much battery capacity do you have? how are they charged?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
For my O 222, I got a plastic bucket and melted alot of holes in it so it was almost like a sieve. A mfg'd cooking strainer-pan would work. Then mounted a Rule (400?) pump in the bucket. Attached the 3/4 hose and electric wires to the bucket, handle with wire ties. Waterproofed connect with enough lanyard length to reach a cigar lighter outlet. Lowered a few inches into the water and tied off to the lifelines, it worked great. .

Sep 20, 2018
Hunter 260 Rockwall
West Marine pumps are rebranded pumps from some other manufacturer.

Pumps take electricity. How much battery capacity do you have? how are they charged?
I've got 3 batteries and a generator for when the batteries need recharging. Should be plenty for the amount of use for a 3-5 gpm pump.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
The cadillac rig would be to install both a salt water wash down pump & a fresh water shower hose in the cockpit. That way you could use high pressure salt water to get the heavy crud off the deck & then just rinse the salt off with a little bit of fresh water. As was said, the wash-down pumps are made to generate much more pressure than a bilge pump & that can be important. Unfortunately, the high pressure pumps usually draw a lot more current, so you don't want to leave them energized for long periods of time. It is common to install salt water wash down pumps with a through hull fitting for a water source. Always use a sea cock if you do this. Your idea of just dropping the pump over the side is also an option that can work. If you are not going to also have a fresh water pump handy, then it might be a good idea to at least keep a couple of squirt bottles of fresh water on board to knock the salt off of stuff that you have blasted with sea water.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
That link has some errors it says 5.2 GPH but I did confirm the manual at 5.3 GPM max.
I hope you noted it is a diaphragm [5] pump. You might want a suction strainer too.
Jim...

Sep 20, 2018
Hunter 260 Rockwall
That link has some errors it says 5.2 GPH but I did confirm the manual at 5.3 GPM max.
I hope you noted it is a diaphragm [5] pump. You might want a suction strainer too.
Jim...
Hi James,

That's for pointing out the GPH error. I noticed it as well. Title is incorrect but they got it right in the Specs.

You noted that it was a diaphragm pump. Everyone that I looked at has diaphragms. Is there a different style pump (such as piston) that you'd recommend?

This model has a inlet strainer. At least that's what the description says.

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Is there a different style pump (such as piston) that you'd recommend?
I don't mean to dissuade you at all.;)
Both Capta and Parsons have given great advice on their experiences while sailing, in their posts above.
Not a brag, but note their boat lengths and mine. Hose storage for your H260 may not be an issue.

Mine, which was OEM installed, is a very small centrifugal bow/anchor "rinse down" pump. Light duty, low amps, with small stainer, and breaker on my panel. The Admiral, who enjoys anchor duty, almost laughed at its low output.

We are all accustomed to Landlubber garden hose flow and pressure, which is about what your selected pump delivers.

Piston, diaphragm, or positive displacement are best for Pressure delivery and self priming.
Centrifugal pumps for volume and can be self priming or below the boat water line.

For all type pumps...
Flow rate = Amp draw [≈15 amps @12VDC ≈ 5GPM]

My boat has only 3 items that pull that level Amp load [Engine start, windlass and 1500 lb winch]. All use the Start Battery and not the house battery.

These are additional thoughts to consider, but its your boating style and comfort that is the key.:)
Jim...

PS: The USNavy still "swabs" the deck. Their deck and anchor wash pumps are volume and not so much pressure.:)

Last edited: