Preparing to Launch

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
My wife and I are preparing to launch our 'new' O'day 20 this weekend, weather permitting, for her first trials (and ours). This will be a weekend of many 'firsts' hopefully we can figure out stepping the mast on our first O'day. While getting the mast set up is a concern, my bigger worry is launching the boat at the ramp... I've been watching too many videos of launch mishaps on YouTube.

Jan 22, 2007
Oday 23 Cedar Creek Marina Bayville NJ
Take your time at the ramp. I find retrieval is always a bit more difficult. Depending on the slope of the ramp, I don't think I have ever gotten it back on the trailer the same way twice. I made modifications and adjustments to the trailer after the first half dozen times or so and now it is not too bad. Take your time and don't get stressed out, try to hit the ramp at a time when it is not too busy. Enjoy

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Check out the site to make sure there aren't power lines above the launch area.
Make sure you put the plug in.
Take the strap off the transom before you approach the ramp.
You are going to get wet. Wear a bathing suit.
Ramps can be very slippery. I pulled a hamstring on one once. Four years later it is still a problem. Wear good water shoes, keep your weight evenly distributed on your feet. DO NOT RUSH! It's best to launch when there isn't a boat behind you and someone tapping their foot.
Have a block for under one of your launch vehicle tires.
Pre release the trailer winch at least a little. If there is a safety chain release that first
I like to have two lines on the boat. One to the transom cleat and one on the bow. They are tied on before the launch. You can control the boat with those.
Don't launch when there is much of an onshore wind.
If you can have a helper it is very good. Even if you can do it yourself, you still have to tie the boat off somewhere while you move the launch vehicle off the ramp, park it and then move the boat to where ever it's going.
These are a few tips. Not a complete list.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Make a list of steps in preparation for launching. It doesn’t have to be too long, just things like: remove all straps from the boat and trailer; I always keep the trailer winch line connected and tight until the back of the boat is afloat; a bow line to hold onto when the boat slips off the trailer; something to put under a rear wheel of the car or truck to keep from sliding; someone on the dock with a boathook to grab the boat or a line on the boat. I’ve been trailering boats for 49 years and last year I tried to launch my 13’ Boston Whaler without removing the straps from the transom eyes to the trailer. Kept wondering why the trailer was floating :). Slow and steady, think about each step. Be sure you don’t tie up the ramp any longer than necessary. Load your equipment into the boat before you block the ramp. If you perform each step in your launch routine in a specific order each time you’ll get faster and more comfortable. If you’re new to trailering go to an empty parking lot at night and practice backing into a specific spot.

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
Haven't located any drain plugs for an O'day 20... on the boat or online.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
Probably doesn’t have one. My O’day 22 and 240 as well as my current boat doesn’t have one. I believe only small dinghy style sailers have them but probably some exceptions.