Pearson 28-2 water heater

757guy

May 8, 2012
Pearson P-28 Lake City MN
Good day, folks. Our water heater, apparently original, is starting to rust. It works fine, no crud in the system, but the outer cover is in tough shape. Here's the problem: The lazarette opening is 13 3/4" and the heater is just over 14" in diameter. Other than employing the 'bigger hammer' method, how does this thing come outta the space? It is installed in such a way that the labeling is not visible so I'm unsure of the make/model. It's cylindrical, grey and heats by exchange and electric, 16" tall. Open to any/all suggestions on removal method AND a replacement unit in the 4-6 gallon range.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@757guy welcome to the fun world of parts replacement. It is a place that requires creativity.
You say it is:
Opening is 13 3/4" wide. Heater is 14" in diameter. 16" tall.
You could cut the unit in half to get it out. Or ty to take it out other than the lazerette. A bigger opening.

As far as new. If you want to stick with the cylindrical unit. Here is one that is 12" in diameter. 6 gallons. I hope the price doesn't scare you.:yikes:
It meets the criteria, price was not mentioned. :biggrin:
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/isotherm-slim-electric-engine-water-heaters

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Can you repair or replace the outer cover? It is just protecting the insulation. Maybe some pictures?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
If you remove the engine (Rather Drastic Solution) you might be able to remove the WH in one piece. But since you can't easily repair the outer cover, cut it off. The rest might come out. At least it did on my '79 H30 C.
I then bought and installed an Isotemp WH that would fit in the opening I had. Their cover is plastic or SS, depending on the model.
YMMV

757guy

May 8, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions. Getting the cover off might do the trick--little downside since it will get junked anyway. Yanking the engine---ummmm, no. Replacing the cover would mean knowing what's in there and I can't see any make/model plates for the way it's installed. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Kuuma line in this size?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Does anyone have any thoughts on the Kuuma line in this size?
Yes, it is the bottom of the barrel. If you're going to the rectangular model, use Seaward. Same footprint, better longevity. Kuuma goes for six years, Seaward 10-12. I shopped around and got a good price in 2013 out of Sure Marine in Seattle, best price by almost a hundred over some others!!! Shop carefully.
Your boat, your choice. :)
Good luck.

757guy

May 8, 2012
Thanks to all. I managed to get my iphone wormed into the space and a plate says it's a Raritan R6. The current version measures slightly larger than I had it, so if it's gonna come out, it will be in pieces. Since the boat is an '87 and they apparently built the hull around the heater, it's remarkable that it has lasted this long. Being a freshwater boat can't have hurt.

Dec 28, 2015
I guess I'm not understanding why the idea of building something to place over it to protect it isn't a option being that it works and can't be removed other then destructively. Maybe something out of starboard or at worst plywood.

757guy

May 8, 2012
I guess I'm not understanding why the idea of building something to place over it to protect it isn't a option being that it works and can't be removed other then destructively. Maybe something out of starboard or at worst plywood.
The cover/shell has started to rust and, once that process has started (paint protection breached) it's a done deal. The unit is well protected overall but the rust on the lazarette floor has left red stains. Yeah, it could be covered and the stains painted over, but they'll likely be replaced by new ones. I'm not anxious to spend big bucks but the boat goes out in charter and it looks kinda ugly. If there's and easy and aesthetic way to get the job done that I haven't thought of, I'm all ears!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Can you get the cover off and out in one, reusable piece?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Well, we now know you have a Raritan R-6 6 gallon water heater. That is a good brand.

I think some are suggesting that if it is only the outer jacket that is bad, you may try recovering it to salvage the inner tank. The outer jacket really just keeps the insulation in place and protected. Removing it and replacing it with some roof flashing material or something similar could save and the hassle of replacing the unit.

If it is that bad (photos certainly don’t show anything amiss), and you have the $$ to put into a new one, cut the jacket off So you can get it out of the locker opening and buy a replacement that fits.

Greg

Dec 28, 2015
Well, okay. These don't show the deck and rust stains but you can see some of the compromised paint on the heater cover. Does this take us somewhere?
Not really. I was attempting to get some ideas to cover it.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Call Raritan. You have the serial number They will be able to help you.

jsl3

Nov 7, 2011
Pearson 28-2 Edgewater, MD
I have the same boat (Pearson 28-2) and same original Raritan water heater. I've had the boat for 12 years since I bought it in 2007. When I bought the boat the heater had visible signs of rust on the outer jacket. Today, 12 years later, it shows more rust but still works like a charm. I've debated replacing it but figure I'd just wait until it gave up the ghost and started leaking. I had a friend with the same boat who did just that. When his finally started leaking, he had to sawzall it out of the lazarette and replaced it with a physically smaller model. I believe his new water heater had a 3 gallon tank as opposed to our 6 gallon tank.

757guy

May 8, 2012
Yeah, that's pretty much where we are. If it were just us, I doubt this would be a concern but the boat goes out in charter so appearances become more important. What ever possessed Pearson to put something in and then build the boat around it?? Maybe, back in '87, this was the only heater in this size. To all who replied--thanks for your input.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
I bought and installed the Isotemp (isotherm) SPA25 model this spring... 6.5 gallons... 12.7" diameter... all stainless inside, and polypropylene on the outside (no paint/rust). I've only had it for a few months, so that's not a very thorough test... but it was easy to install, well reviewed, and seems to work great (my old heater was leaking, and not easily serviceable). For what it's worth, mine has been excellent so far. They're a bit pricey (though ALL of them are IMHO) but I got mine at a decent discount back during spring sales... The model I got was this one (though it is available elsewhere as well):
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234308|2234311&id=2357713
I was replacing a cube with a cylinder, so I had to reroute a few things on my boat that were in the way in my specific space/installation, but other than that, installation is dead-simple, quality seemed great. I personally keep my boat at a mooring, so I've so far been heating water only through the engine/heat-exchange, rather than through the electrical heating element other than one quick test on the day I installed it (before spring launch) to ensure it worked. The water stays hot for a LONG time... I haven't actually measured how hot or how long, but many many hours later the water is still very hot... probably still warm enough a full day after running the engine. The one I bought came with an installed mixing valve/regulator to adjust the output a bit if it is too hot. Most important for you I think is that it is small enough to fit into your locker, without sacrificing capacity (if the rest of the shape fits your layout). The outer stainless mounting "bands" slide off if needed during your install process if they stick out enough to interfere with your lazarette opening, though I suspect you'll be able to get it in without needing to remove the bands. Good luck!