Our 2003 C310!

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I don't remember if we got the LED or not but next time it goes out we will use the link Rob provided.
Wonder why green instead of red?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Mine is green as installed. I could use some of my background in Human Factors design to say that green is a positive indicator of something functioning correctly and red is usually for faults or issues that need attention.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Mine is green as installed. I could use some of my background in Human Factors design to say that green is a positive indicator of something functioning correctly and red is usually for faults or issues that need attention.
They also come in red and yellow. :)

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Yes. In my mechanical/electrical engineering experience, green means energized, red means alarm or de-energized (many alarm triggers are programmed or hard-wired to de-energize the device and/or system).

However, in situations requiring night vision (sailing, for example), red light affects night vision less than other colors. I don't know if the green panel indicator lamp that is being discussed would have a significant effect. I also wonder how touch screen navigation affects sailors' night vision. All my night sailing was before that technology was common. Cockpit instruments and cabin were illuminated with red lamps. We used red headlamps for moving about or to illuminate task work. Do the touch screens color-shift at night?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
Do the touch screens color-shift at night?
Things like iPads and iPhones can go into a night mode where the blue light is lessened. Not sure about built-in touch screens. My Navionics app doesn't seem to have a separate night-mode, which is odd because Waze and other car navigation apps certainly do.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Well green light installed, also got the bimini adjusted and boom seems to clear it now! Tomorrow is a sail day and club pig roast that we are joining. Should be fun day!

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I bought a 2002 2 years ago for $50k, about $10k below his asking. In mast furling and about 650 hours on the motor. Owner included everything in the boat except a French Press, also included his dinghy and motor as well as a new magma grill. The couple had hardly used the main, so it is still in good shape. I made a decision to upgrade the Genoa, as it was showing signs of wear. Like you I got it from Precision. The boat is perfect for our needs, wether it be a weekend day sail or overnight trips to eastern shore of Chesapeake Bay. Good luck and hope that we see pictures of you behind the helm soon.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, we have had it out on day sail trips 5 times as of today. Today was stronger wind 5-10 gusting 15+ so more sporty then we have seen. She did great and I finally have the bimini adjusted so my main is not hitting it.

Felt more comfortable and the goal is to be ready for next Great River Race in September. I used the autopilot when everyone was resting below to trim her and it worked pretty good.

I always forget pictures, but did get us heading back in. My son keeping us in the channel and the girls sunning on the bow!

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2011
You could try adjusting the gland nut a little at a time...If tightening the gland didn't slow down the leak initially, the packing is probably old and dried out. If so, you should remove the old packing and put in new stuff.
I may be at the point where I need to replace the packing. Last season I had a drip every 30 seconds or so at rest but I just launched and I am having a drip every 10-15 seconds at rest. Last year I did purchase two wrenches specifically for adjusting the gland nut.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Nice @SawyerCurt , I assume you have enough room with those too. Those look like 2", I thought the nuts were 1 7/8"?

Only one issue, the knot meter wasn't working this time. I would have dived but the area was pretty rough so I guess I try the heart stopping remove in water. There are plugs so I'll clean them and check o-rings before I try. Too bad it was working great the last several time out.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Nice @SawyerCurt , I assume you have enough room with those too. Those look like 2", I thought the nuts were 1 7/8"?

Only one issue, the knot meter wasn't working this time. I would have dived but the area was pretty rough so I guess I tty the heart stopping remove in water. There are plugs so I'll clean them and check o-rings before I try. Too bad it was working great the last several time out.
Pulling the speedo in the water isn’t a big deal. I do ours routinely for cleaning. Usually it’s little live critters-dunking the paddle wheel in fresh water makes them exit pronto. Many of the thru hulls have a flapper valve that minimizes the amount of water that gets in. Just remember to have the part that’s going in in your dominant hand during the switch!

Dec 16, 2011
I have room for about a quarter turn before I have to reposition them. They are 2", which is what fits mine well (hull #48). Not sure if there were different sizes at different times.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For sure true in a multi-state indicator. But for a simple binary (on/off) indicator, the choice of color is often a cosmetic one, and left to marketing.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Weekend sail went pretty good despite the 90+ deg temps! Dang we skipped spring and went right to July already in the valley. Did a bit better with my sail handling, wind was light with 5-10 and gust 10-15. A couple of casualties of the weekend were the mono filament line for the Dutchman, snapped them both. They were worn and I figured they weren't going to last and I honestly still don't have adjusting them correctly. My big frustration is the sail cover isn't designed to have them set. Sail cove is original and not in bad shape, so a couple of zipper or Velcro slits could solve it, but I might just order an entire Mack Pack instead and be done with it.

I do need to do some investigation, every now and then I get coolant / AF under the motor. Not a lot and easily cleaned up with a couple of paper towels. It is funny because I've been out a couple of times and nothing collected then this time after the boat sat for almost 2 weeks there was a small pool. The overflow tank is fine, maybe a bit low because of the amount of sitting in the engine bilge and the hoses seems pretty good. HX might be the issue so I'll need to get in and take a closer look with some mirrors and camera to check when I replace the 2 original hoses.

I also seem to every now and then get a pool of clean water in the after bilge section. The hot water tank doesn't seem to be leaking since that area is dry. Seems to be coming from the fridge, which I do leave running on shore power to keep drinks cool when we get out to the boat. I ran the shower sump pump and saw water being sucked out, but I wonder if the long 2 weeks stretches causes some condensation that overflows to the bilge? I get AC condensation in the forward bilge because the drain line is routed there. I've done my research so I'll eventually get the Defender kit to tie it to the discharge line with the check value system that others seem to like a lot.

My wife really likes the AC on shore and really wants to consider having it while we try a few of the planned cruises this year. The club format is usual to cruise to a location and stop for food or tour and then raft up together. I've never down a raft up before so I was wondering if I picked up a Honda Generator would it be too much noise and bother other boats next to us? An installed generator would be cool, but probably not financially practical right now.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I do need to do some investigation, every now and then I get coolant / AF under the motor. Not a lot and easily cleaned up with a couple of paper towels. It is funny because I've been out a couple of times and nothing collected then this time after the boat sat for almost 2 weeks there was a small pool. The overflow tank is fine, maybe a bit low because of the amount of sitting in the engine bilge and the hoses seems pretty good. HX might be the issue so I'll need to get in and take a closer look with some mirrors and camera to check when I replace the 2 original hoses.
I have the same issue. A little bit of AF shows up after the engine has been off for a while. I had changed out the over flow tank but that wasn't the problem. I just went over the whole engine and couldn't find a leak anywhere. This has been going on for perhaps 10 years or so. Maybe you will have better luck.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I have the same issue with a slight bit of AF under the engine on occasion. A few weeks ago I ran it up to temp at the dock and noticed a bit of steam around the thermostat cap. I looked closer and realized it was actually coming from the brass elbow that connects the overflow hose to the manifold/reservoir. It’s so slight I haven’t messed with it yet.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Installed my new traveler lines today. I had $50 in WM credits so they were free, and that is the story I told my wife. Since this is an area of issue with the old short lines I went long enough for them to reach the helm. Will see how it works out in practice.

20190530_153153.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2012
Installed my new traveler lines today. I had $50 in WM credits so they were free, and that is the story I told my wife. Since this is an area of issue with the old short lines I went long enough for them to reach the helm. Will see how it works out in practice.

View attachment 165467
Very nice color choice! :)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Dumb question, can I leave shore power (AC) connected and start and run the motor as long as I shut the battery charger off? Wanting to do some investigation but really like having air conditioner on while working.