Our 2003 C310!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So after our adventure of looking at a C34 and deciding it was too dated we decided to move on and not really look. Then I was told about a C310 for sale on our lake and got the details and will check it out next weekend.

My wife liked the pics of the inside, and the Vberth should be a big selling point when she sees it in person. Condition is everything and on the surface looks well maintained.

The details are seller is the second owner since 2014, always freshwated in KY and now AL. Factory air and heat with new water pump, new batteries and charger, 600 hours on motor, everything works and owner has made sure nothing is broken. They are selling since they are not as active on it and mostly used it to motor around the lake. Sails sound original, he wasn't sure if original owner replaced them. I'll look but what was the manufactor of OEM sails would be helpful.

Done some reseach, know about chain plate leaks, compression post being short, and the exhaust elbow being too close to the bulkhead. Will keep reading up this week to get smarter. Price seems high to me at $59,500, especially if sails are original and need replacement. Still could be fun and it is close so that is a major plus.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, been looking around and reading. Great info and looks like a very interesting boat. Given the logistics of moving a boat to our lake finding a good option local is a big selling point.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I just replaced our sails last year after 17 hard years so if they only motored and hardly sailed then I would say the sails would be OK for the next few years. Hours on the motor are low for 15 years that also would state low usage. You can also check the log meter on the st4000 and this will also show total trip miles for example our 2000 310 has over 18000 miles.
Best of all if your wife is like mine when she sees what's below, the boat will be yours.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
The compression post issue was only early models so a 2003 won't have that concern.

The price actually seems low to me but condition is everything. Some of the 2001 models still sell for over $60K in good condition.

For sails you can buy factory replacements from Catalina Direct. I think it was around $5k for a full batten main and 135 Genny. We just bought a Yankee cut 115 from Precision Sails from their best cruising cloth with extra reinforcements, radial cut and rope luff for $1800 on the black Friday sale.

Let me know if you have any questions

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That looks like a good price from Precision. I'm very pleased with my 115 I got last year for my O'day 25.

The market on the lake is limited, it could be a good buy if the sails are lightly used, but I got spoiled with new sails last year.

I'll take lots of pics for sure and keep reading posts. Haven't seen any big issues like wiring connectors, he did tell me the boat hasn't been out of the water since 2014, so probably due.

Last edited:
May 2, 2012
Catalina 310 Toronto, Ontario
Hi John:
We bought a Catalina 310 - 2003 three years ago. We paid $60,000 Can. Fresh water boat. Just love it. We've been offered just last summer $70,000 Can. We have put a new Full Enclosure and Batteries totaling roughly $5,500 into it sense we purchased it. Maybe some numbers to work with.
Cheers :beer:
2 Old Pirates

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Haven't seen any big issues like wiring connectors, he did tell me the boat hasn't been out of the water since 2014, so probably due.
I haven't had any issues with wiring connectors, other than Catalina's use of spade terminals. Jesse could update you on any known wiring problems. A lot of older C30's had issues with connectors and undersized wiring, but not so much on the C310's.
Sounds like you found a nice boat at a good price. I hope the purchase works out for you. I'm sure you will be pleased with the C310.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
Just curious: Does it have a roller furling main? Fin or wing keel? Based on the 2005 C310 I purchased in 2014 the price seems OK. You have nothing to lose by negotiating
The first thing I did was change out the jam cleat for the main sheet. Check the fresh water pump on the engine.The second thing I did was replace the OEM Sherwood (assuming it is a Universal 25M) with an Oferdorfer. Check the Hurth ZF 5M transmission. Reports on this forum indicate they can have issues. Other things I did:

- Changed out the then five-yr old 4D batteries (one died) with four golf cart 6V batteries.
- Installed a computer battery charger. The OEM charger is what fried the 4D.
If there isn't a computer charger in your boat, you want to do this!!!
- Removed the Wilcox-Crittenden head (pump died and no parts since it is not made anymore) with a Raritan II
- Reworked water input to the head for freshwater flush
- Whisker pole
- Asymmetric Spinnaker
- Swapped out the incandescent lights with LEDs, except for the deck light
- Replaced the 13 yr old chart plotter (screen died)
All were straight forward and there was a lot of help on this forum.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So he didn't say furling main, mention the furlng jib but wasn't sure the size. He did say he replace the water pump with a Oferdorfer and the batteries and charger. It is a wing keel and has maintained the head with service and routine pump out. I doubt the overboard discharge has ever been used since the boat has been fresh water lakes and rivers only.

I asked about the rigging and he didn't know if the previous owner replaced anything. He felt it was all good but admitted he didn't sail a lot.

We are looking forward to seeing her. The marina is a much nicer but 15 min further away. It is higher slip fees but has power and water at each slip and very wide floating docks. Also pumpout is included.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
So he didn't say furling main, mention the fuung jib but wasn't sure the size
The standard genoa is 135%. The sails should be in good condition. The owner said he didn't sail much, so not a lot of wear and tear.
You are right about the wife liking the v berth. The bunk is big and comfortable. It really sold the boat for us.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
only wiring issue on 310 is the euro connectors in the pod under the wheel. Not really big deal, but eventually you will want to replace as troubles arise. I have a 2003 model. No complaints other than I need another 1/2" headroom.

Edit: Also wiring issue with some spade connectors on engine as mentioned above

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
only wiring issue on 310 is the euro connectors in the pod under the wheel. Not really big deal, but eventually you will want to replace as troubles arise. I have a 2003 model. No complaints other than I need another 1/2" headroom.
I would add to this the 3 way connectors wrapped electric tape for the lighting loop. Not a major issue but it can be a pain if you got to do some upgrades. Slowly replacing those with terminal strips and ring terminals. Same with many of the connections at the panel, they used non-heat shrink terminals. Slowly replacing those.

Access for some maintenance tasks could be better. It could be worse in other areas.

Obviously we like the boat. We find it very comfortable to cruise for two. We have done a lot of improvements lately. Posts coming, but we now have 500 watts of solar supplying about 36 amps per hour at peak output, high output alternator, waterwaker, dinghy davits, LiFePo batteries on the way, and lots of little things that improve the livability for us.

We have been living aboard full time for over 6 years now. Many thousands of nautical miles under our keel with many more to come. We are setting out cruising again very soon with the southern Caribbean, San Blas Islands, Belieze and other places in our sites.

Someone posted about the rig. Ours is still original. 18 years and having seen winds over 180 knots and neither of the riggers who have inspected the boat in the last two years have recommended we replace anything except the life lines.

Good luck with your purchase.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
Paul are you going to the Catalina Rendezvous at Roche Harbor May 2-5?

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Someone posted about the rig. Ours is still original. 18 years and having seen winds over 180 knots and neither of the riggers who have inspected the boat in the last two years have recommended we replace anything except the life lines.
Jesse, not to second guess you or your riggers, but 18 years is getting up there for rigging, especially given the use yours has seen and will be seeing. A lot of the time you can’t see any evidence of a problem until it fails. At least that’s what my rigger here tells me.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I think I'd be OK with original rigging on this 2003 fresh water only 310. Jesse's blog and history of living on a 310 has made my wife think that while a bit pricey could be future cruising boat. At least until we can swing a Jeanneau 440:)

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
I think I'd be OK with original rigging on this 2003 fresh water only 310. Jesse's blog and history of living on a 310 has made my wife think that while a bit pricey could be future cruising boat. At least until we can swing a Jeanneau 440:)
How firm is the asking price? When we bought ours the seller ended up accepting a little more than half of what he first started at.

Fresh water is certainly easier on the rigging than salt, that’s for sure...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Not sure, I know another 310 in the marina sold for $48k last year. I plan to make a cash offer below his asking, so finance is not a consideration.