Oday Javelin Motor Mount

Apr 14, 2016
Oday Javelin Lake Monroe
I have a 1979 Oday Javelin that I would like to install a motor mount for a Minnkota trolling motor. I am having a hard time finding a motor mount that I think would work due to the location of the seating in the boat. Has anyone out there installed a motor mount on a Javelin? I'd like to know what mount you bought and any tricks for a good waterproof install. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
O'DAY designed and built the transom of the Javelin (as well as the Widgeon, Day Sailer and Mariner) to allow clamping an outboard right to the transom, no need for any mounting bracket. Simpler and easier. With an electric the shaft will be plenty long enough to get deep into the water while clamped to the transom. Transom has a plywood core across the ful lwidth, outboard can be mounted either to Port or Starboard of the rudder.

May 25, 2016
Oday Javelin Perry Lake
Mounting directly to the transom causes cracks in the fiberglass and the slippery finish won't hold the motor. Lost a 5 horsepower to the bottom of a deep lake from mounting directly to the transom.....suggest installing wood mounts inside and outside of transom with ledge to keep the motor clamps just off the top of the transom. Easy to mount the motor, clamp tightly so it won't slip but protects the transom from cracking.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
When I mentioned clamping direct to the transom I should have added that advice about either wood pads to protect the fiberglass and/or to use a set of those round ring-pads that screw to the inside of the transom with a metal ring around them to catch to clamp pads. I went one better due to the reverse rake of the DS II transom and bolted a mounting board with wedge to the transom then clamp my outboard to that. Originally, I just had a piece of 1/2" marine plywood screwed to the outside and those ring pads inside. I found a picture, not the best, that shows one of those ring pads on a Mariner (there should be 2, maybe this owner was using an outboard with only one clamp, like the old 2hp Johnson/Evinrudes).
Oh ,just to clear up any confusion, I added an afterdeck to my DSII, similar to the one on a DS I.

Attachments