New Owner with absolutely no experience sailing

JAYNV

Dec 7, 2017
Macgregor Venture 25? South Lake Tahoe
Hello everyone,

My name is Jay. I am getting ready to pick up a sailboat which I am acquiring for free. Here’s what I know:
It’s a Macgregor...... Venture 25?
The mast, main, and jib are all there. As well as all the rigging. (I sure hope I’m getting all these terms correct)
It’s on the original trailer (needs tires)
Cushions are all there.
Head is in place (not sure of it functions)
Did not look for rudder as I didn’t know what I was looking for when I was there the other day.
Interior of cabin is dirty but otherwise intact.
Could use some cleaning and some love.

I have a small aluminum boat, so I have a 40# thrust minn kota trollIng motor. I also have a 7hp mercury outboard, but it is a 2 strike so I will never be able to use it on Lake Tahoe where I plan on using the sailboat.

Back story (acquisition)
My wife is a veterinary technician at the NV Humane Society. The building is new, but the property has been owned by the Humane society for a number of years. Within the last 3 years the owner of the boat passed away and his wife donated it to the Human Society thinking that they would sell it. Instead it has been sitting on their property collecting dust for who knows how long.

The director of the Human Society Has offered the boat to me for free. All I have to do is get it off their lot and she will give me the title. I get paid next week so I am going to buy new tires for the trailer and take it as soon as possible.

I have only ever been on a sail boat once when I was 12 in the San Francisco’s bay. It was my dads friends boat.

Note: I will not be taking this boat out until I have at least some training. My uncle is a recreational sailor. I am going to try and talk him into taking me out a couple of times and teaching me. If he won’t do it, I will be taking some lessons.

That being said, I am hoping this community might be able to help me identify this boat and tell me a little bit about it. I have included some pictures and questions.

Can anyone her identify this boat by the pictures?
Where can I find identifying markings on a sailboat?
Would this boat be good for someone with no experience?
What should I be looking for as far as damage?
How do I know if the sails are in operable condition?
Any advise?

Note: pictures will be in reply message. I cannot seem to figure out how to upload from my phone so I am emailing them to myself to save on the pc and upload.

Thank you all in advance for your time.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
First, welcome. Find some one who knows how to sail and trade beer for informal lessons. Be sure your spouse is there so she can correct you when you start to go solo. On a humerious note I did have a question

Is the Human Society for dogs and cats so they can control ferrel people humanely ??

Welcome to sailing. Hope you enjoy as much as I do

Les

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Alert the authorities. There's a body in the berth.

JAYNV

Dec 7, 2017
I thought that was the case, but it has some small hinges on it so I wasn't sure it is also triangular. I'll see if I can get a better picture. I will need to get it home to really assess what it has and what is missing. Then I'll need to figure out how everything goes together.

JAYNV

Dec 7, 2017
Ah, I see. Now that I have gone back to look at that picture, I can see that it is in fact the rudder. That is a load off my mind. Those things aren't cheap. The ones I saw online cost more than the boat is worth...

Nov 29, 2017
MacGregor 26M Home
Jay,

Regardless if you find anyone to take you out a few times, find the nearest ASA course, or Coast Guard Auxiliary safety course. There is so much more to being on the water than handling a sailboat, or any other boat. Really, take a course, be knowledgeable, and safe.

Oct 29, 2016
Pearson 31-2 Bras D'or
The form will provide great support, none better than the referral to the significant McGregor sailing community. There is lots to learn before enthusiasm steers you astray. I recall a novice McGregor owner all set to launch for the first time waiting his turn on the trailer for access to the ramp and deciding to see how his main sail looked to pass the time. I won't get into the gory details, but there were no other boats launched that day while a boom truck put the boat back on the trailer. You and your families safety is worth the investment.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Hi Jay,
I think you got a great deal. Consider donating a few hundered dollars to your wife's organization just to pay respect to the intent of the person who donated that beauty.
I even like the name, but, if you feel the need to change it, I have a post that discusses the proper procedures for doing that. There are SOME people in this form who seem to think you can just willy nilly take off the old name and put on the new name and that's that. Don't start your sailing career out on the wrong foot.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...-renaming-ceremony.188929/page-3#post-1417994
I don't have any sage advice that you aren't already getting from all the knowledgeable members on this forum. EXCEPT, relax. You are in good hands, you will learn, your dad will help, many people will offer advice and you will read. As you restore, repair, equip, you will learn the nomenclature.
As Buddha said, "don't believe a thing that doesn't agree with your sense of reason." I'm paraphrasing. Just be sure to think instead of blindly taking advice. No one knows you and your circumstances like you do.
Good luck, smooth sailing, and welcome
- Will (Dragonfly)

JAYNV

Dec 7, 2017
Thanks for the input guys.

Bearings are being purchased with the tires. Just waiting on a play money check.

Jwing, that is great advice. I have been watching lots of videos on sailing for the last week or so and that was covered in one of them.

I know I’ve got a lot to learn and an ASA course is definitely on the list.

I will definitely not be hoisting the main sail and tying it off while on the trailer.

I do have plenty of experience on the water. My dad has always had a ski boat as long as I’ve been alive and I am an avid fisherman. So I at least know the basics of boat safety. Just nothing about sailing.

Can anyone tell me where on a sailboat to find identifiying markings? Year, model, capacities, etc.?

JAYNV

Dec 7, 2017
“Now, what a ship was christened, so let her stay, I says.”