The practical renaming ceremony.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nicely said Will.
Middle School/Junior High kids are such fun yet at the same time such a pain. When I coached, ad substitute taught math, that was the age that engaged me.
That you taught "Industrial Arts" explains the present wood working projects.:biggrin:

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That you taught "Industrial Arts" explains the present wood working projects.
I was a long term sub. They told me I could treat it like a study hall if I wanted. I chose to teach what I knew. They were horrible but fun too. I was also teaching high school auto cad with only 6 working computers. They learned hand drafting instead.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hand drafting got me one of my fun jobs back in 1973.
Then I left it and moved. That turned out alll right too. Still have good stories of working for Leco Labs in St Joseph MI

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
'73, that was a good year for me too. My family sold our house and moved aboard a sailboat that year. Lived there for the next 3+years. From age 10 to 14.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
I didn’t do a proper renaming ceremony with either boat I renamed.
Yeah, but you’re a frog , so...

Will (Dragonfly, not related to Tempest)
Will, the problem with your approach for circumventing the actual (“versus the “spirit”) of the ceremonial rules for changing names is that Posidon/Neptune now has access to the internet, has read your post, caught on to your ruse, and may well denand full and complete actual sinking of the vessel - under either name! Bummer!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Posidon/Neptune now has access to the internet, has read your post, caught on to your ruse, and may well denand full and complete actual sinking of the vessel
I'm betting that Poseidon/Neptune/et al understand symbolism as fundamentally symbolic beings themselves.
I seriously doubt such beings could truly be enticed to "forget" a vessel's name just because some mortal poured alcohol into the ocean. Maybe for a short time but, when the hangover was past it would all come back.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Ok. Let me just get this straight. It is a fact that maritime tradition holds that it is bad luck to rename a boat. Whether or not one may be superstitious, there is a tradition surrounding this process. In answer to a question about that tradition and what one must do to "properly"rename their boat, I posted this description originally on the mariner association Web site. I reposted here because I thought others might like a simpler way of satisfying that concern than the libation wasting, red tape fighting, pagan process described on BoatSafe.com and you are all saying you went through no such ceremony?
My heavily researched, natural-based, traditionally symbolic methods have not been observed by any of you? :badbad:
I am very sceptical! :meh:
- Will (Dragonfly)
Navy tradition is not to rename warships in respect for those who have served and died on them. They generally rename vessels they acquire. Their vessels are always renamed when sold to other navies. Commercial vessels are almost always renamed when sold.
In short there is no maritime tradition against renaming, certainly not for recreational boats.
I hope someday this old wifes tale nonsense will fade away but I won't hold my breath.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
In short there is no maritime tradition against renaming, certainly not for recreational boats.
I hope someday this old wifes, (sic), tale nonsense will fade away but I won't hold my breath.
C'mon, don't be such a Debbie Downer. It's all in good fun. But, then again, you...never...know. Do you?

ps, my apologies to all the Debbies out there.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I hope someday this old wifes tale nonsense will fade away but I won't hold my breath.
You know, out is also considered bad luck to have a woman on board, that is, unless she is unclothed. That is why figure heads are usually topless. I suppose that is a superstition you might like to s done away with too? :cowbell:
- Will (Dragonfly, phobioid)

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
Having performed the denaming and renaming ceremony on 3 boats, I can honestly say that we have been blessed with good luck on all 3. Our Hunter 25 taught us big boat living in a small space, the Chris Craft runabout has been a joy to use, and we had the good luck to not sink when the drive shaft came disconnected from the transmission. Our Hunter 28, was always the prettiest boat on the lake.

As to luck or lack there of, All I can say is when performed properly Posieden and all in attendance had more than enough food and drink to enjoy. The libations shared with the gods felt in proportion to the event and did not feel like wasted effort. Its all in what you make of it. Good food, Good luck and Good Friends all make for a Good Time and that is what we all look to enjoy.

What ever you do, nothing, a little or a lot, as long as you do it with good cheer I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy your boat and the times on her.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Unfortunately, and with respect to the person who thought up the original name, we subscribe to no such historical symbolism, ie; nonsense. Acetone and a good cut polish remove the vestiges of sun damage, and we're good to go. The superstition, however, is unfounded, we understand completely that if you manage to flip the boat on Wabamun, you simply hop off and wade your way to shore.
I removed the lettering and detailed the hull. It sat nameless for 4 days waiting for the letting to come in.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Alright I think I have a system worked out..... I paid to expunge the name from record, I have removed all traces of the name from the boat while letting it sit for 4 days and although I put the new name on it prior, we will drink dark rum the first night while giving Poseidon equal share while smoking cigars on deck. I'm forgoing any speech because actions are stronger than words and the previous name was Wind Spirt and it was terrible (no offense to anyone who had that name) .

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You found the right thread on renaming.
Neptune is best served.;)
Jim...