New O'Day 25 owner

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
My oday 25 has a deck pipe and the anchor rode is stored in the cabin forward of the v berth. There is a panel that separates the v berth from the anchor locker. I added an 8 inch 4 bolt cleat to the foredeck between the factory installed bow cleats then replaced the factory installed bow cleats with 6 inch 4 bolt cleats. I have a 20 lb CQR pinned to the port side of the foredeck aft of the bow pulpit right at the toerail. My primary rode is 80 feet of 1/4 inch chain and 120 feet of 3/8 in nylon line. The rode fills the anchor locker. Took my boat to the Bahamas last winter so it needed to be beefed up.

May 8, 2011
ODay 25 Cambridge
My oday 25 is a 1978 model. My 20 lb cqr anchor is pinned to the port side deck aft of the bow pulpit at the toerail. I have an anchor rode with 80 ft of 1/4 inch chain and 120 ft of 3/8 inch nylon line. My anchor rode is stored under the deck forward of the v berth. There is a panel that separates the v berth from the anchor locker. There is a deck pipe thru the deck to the anchor locker below. I replaced the factory installed 2 bolt bow cleats with 6 inch 4 bolt cleats. There is a third cleat located on the foredeck between the 6 inch cleats. It is a 4 bolt 8 inch cleat. There is a bow roller used only to hold the rode when the anchor is set. This prevents chafing. I rebuilt the foredeck with 3 layers of 1/4 inch marine grade plywood. The cleats are backed with 1/4 inch aluminum plate. Last year I took the boat down the icw from MD to FL and then across to the Bahamas down to Thompson Bay, Long Island.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
SV - sounds very beefy, I'm pretty much lake locked for the foreseeable future, although Lake Guntersville is a very large body of water feed by the Tennessee river so it can get exciting. I see the use of that space forward in the V-berth, just not too excited about holes for water in an area that is dry as a bone. You description is excellent and sounds like the proper approach for serious anchor holding and setup. I really wonder what most people did with the stock configuration, this boat has been in this configuration and on this lake it's whole life.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
SV - sounds very beefy, I'm pretty much lake locked for the foreseeable future, although Lake Guntersville is a very large body of water feed by the Tennessee river so it can get exciting. I see the use of that space forward in the V-berth, just not too excited about holes for water in an area that is dry as a bone. You description is excellent and sounds like the proper approach for serious anchor holding and setup. I really wonder what most people did with the stock configuration, this boat has been in this configuration and on this lake it's whole life.
A danforth-stype anchor, 10 feet of chain and 150 foot of rope rode. You're golden.

Keep it all in a big canvas bag and store it in a locker. Bring it forward when you need it.

Any attempt to keep the anchor at the bow will be unsightly, still hard to use, and snag on sails.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Jackdaw that is a easy one to do now, thanks. I have an old Army Canvas bag I can use and the rope, have to check the length and then add some chain.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I hit my boat history jackpot today. Looking at all the old paper work I found the name of the owner before the one I bought it from and connected with him on Linkedin. My wife said I'm a stalker, but his professional background was impressive and although I don't know him my work and his are very related to Huntsville area.

He was the third owner and bought it in 1982 or 83 and owned it till 2016! So for all practical purposes he was the true owner of her history. He was funny about trying to remeber the years and such for items so usually gave them in terms of decades.

He invited me to call and chat about her. I learned all major maintenance and repairs were done at marinas still in business today. He took care of her but elected to have the marinas do the annual work as needed. He raced her for years and was even T boned once that resulted in an above waterline penetration. It was professionally repaired and the entire boat repainted, he told me how to look for it as I couldn't tell but a repaint in the 90s explains the paint quality. Standing rigging is less then 10 years old, OEM hull through holes were replaced in the mid 80s and maintained by the local marina, valves look great and no evidence of leaks. Bottom coatings done every year during annual haul out. Teak was maintained by his wife up till a couple of years ago. Rudder was replaced in 85 or 86 with O'Day replacement. He never ran her a ground but believed the second owner did that resulted in the rudder breaking a year or so after he bought her. He remebered dealing directly with O'Day when they were still in business.

Great 40 min talk, and invited us to stop buy his lake house which is just up the road from the current marina she is at. I told him we would stop and he was free to come down and check her out anytime. He said he stopped sailing due to age and not being confident to sail her single hand. I hope to keep in contact with him and maybe get him out with me to show me her sailing secrets.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Wow, that is a bonus! Nice to find a good history and to top it off you found that the boat was well maintained!
Must put your mind at ease on many things.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Very pleased, and just amazed he kept her so long. We are planning our first entire family sail on Sunday. I'm excited and nervous because my experience has been with 1 other person only.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Yep, I'm the 3rd owner of our O'day with the 2nd owner only having her for 6 months. While I wasn't able to talk to the original owner, he was local and friends and the marina owner knew him well and confirmed he took good care of the boat.
Enjoy your family outing!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Very pleased, and just amazed he kept her so long. We are planning our first entire family sail on Sunday. I'm excited and nervous because my experience has been with 1 other person only.
Just take it slow, think it through before heading out from the dock, keep your eye out, and have fun. Get everyone involved in some way.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, it went great and everyone had fun today. Wind was very lite today, so not exciting but good to learn on with my wife and kids. Everyone did a little and it was great. Hope next weekend is a good one too.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Only issue I notes today was the outside side stays rub the life line and the jib sheets. Any recommendations?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Looks like the kids are having fun. Glad it went well.
If the outside shroud (side stay) is rubbing the lifeline "hard" try running the lifeline to the other side of the shroud.
Are you saying the working jib sheet also rubs the shroud? If the sheet is also rubbing the life line, try loosening the life line a little. I leave my life lines a little slack.

Nov 8, 2010
Two things:
Your boat has a wide shroud base for a boat that's designed to fly Genoas. Ideally it would be much narrower. So there's always going to be some interference. The fixed sheeting point does not help that.

If you want your kids to keep coming, let them pick out their own PFDs. Those orange things are really designed for emergency abandon ship situations, and not to be worn all the time on an active boat. Take them to someplace like West Marine or Cabellas, and let them pick out their own comfortable one.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Ward, I will move the life lines between the stays. We spent a lot of the day close-hauled so I was really noticing it. the port jib sheet had some visible wear I hadn't noticed before. I only had the jib with me, in hindsight I should have sailed the 150 genoa, or as my family calls it the salami sail.

Yup Jackdaw that is on the list before the next trip. We had them on if they are going forward during the sail.

These shroud protectors work, Davis Instruments Rigging Covers, 5/32 inch.
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|118|2358491|2358503&id=210726
Those look great, placing my order now!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Only issue I notes today was the outside side stays rub the life line and the jib sheets. Any recommendations?
When new, my B323 had the port lifeline between the two shrouds, the stbd was outside of the 2. Reminds me of the movie, "Sail a Crooked Ship". As the stanchions were perpendicular to the slanted deck, the top ends were overboard. So, if you were against the lifelines, you, too, were already "overboard". I rectified this by having all 4 stanchions bent around 2 inches- though each stanchion ended up being differing amounts !

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So my jib on the head has a stainless wire extension attached with shackles that the previous owner attached the halyard. The Tack attaches to the shackle on the deck. I noted the bottom of the jib sail hits the bow railings and sort of looks weird to me. I'm wondering if this stainless wire extension should be on the tack end to get the jib foot up and over the metal bow railings.

I'm probably doing a lot wrong, but we at least got up to 3.5-4 knots having fun under sail.

Nov 8, 2010
So my jib on the head has a stainless wire extension attached with shackles that the previous owner attached the halyard. The Tack attaches to the shackle on the deck. I noted the bottom of the jib sail hits the bow railings and sort of looks weird to me. I'm wondering if this stainless wire extension should be on the tack end to get the jib foot up and over the metal bow railings.

I'm probably doing a lot wrong, but we at least got up to 3.5-4 knots having fun under sail.
Your picture show the tack high above the deck???

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
No it is just the distance the shackle extends from the deck to the tack on the jib. On that picture over my daughters shoulder you can see the sail hitting the bow top railing. Maybe this ok, I just never noticed it much on other boats before, then again this is mine so now I pay attention to a lot more then I ever did before.