New O'Day 25 owner

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My wife and I have wanted a sail boat for years, this year seemed like the right time with kids now 11 and 13. I started looking seriously a month ago and found mostly trashed boats or twice our budget.

This weekend we found a 76 O'Day 25 local to check out. Unfortunately it was terrible, not used in 2-3 years, rot in all the usual places, and an owner who really just didn't take care of her. The good part was we liked the size and layout, so I added O'Day to my searches.

Then Sunday night I checked new listings and there it was another O'Day 25, it was even in the marina I had decided was the one I would put our future boat in. Pictures looked promising, but so had the others. Price was good but there had to be something wrong with it. Our experience showed boats look better in photos then in real life

Owner was a great southern gentleman and straight told me his issues and listened to my needs. At the end I felt this was promising and worth another 1hr drive. Monday was my best option with the week ahead so we loaded up after work and headed out to check her out.

Owner was great and arranged for us to check her out on our own, time. The main issue he noted was a leaking knot meter transducer in the bow. I did note the compression spar was black at the bottom, about 3/4", but still reasonably firm. Port chain plate bulkhead was solid, starboard was a bit crushed at the top 2 bolts, but dry. Paint was still very good, a fresh polish will make her shine great. Sails are crisp, and neatly stored and careed for, vs is seeing others crumple up and not clean. Everything was as clean in person as the photos. Called the owner back that night and we aggreed on a price and will do a demo sail to check everything out in 2 weeks on the water.

I have a marina lined up for removing and patching the transducer hole and plan to address the wood myself. We are very excited but I want to make sure she sails as good as she looks for her age. Any thing to look out for would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to the forum and Welcome to being an O'day owner. Of course I am partial but I think you'll like the 25. It sounds good from your post. Finding with an open owner who obviously took care of his boat is a good find.
Enjoy!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thank you Ward, I used the forum for my homework on the first O'Day and was very helpful. The plan this year is to address the issues above. We as a family need to learn our boat and then if it goes well plan the next changes.

Oh for the forum, am I a Day Sailor or larger boat?

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I would have a real good look at the compression post and especially that bulkhead. I owned a 25 a few years ago, they are notorious for leaking at the chain plate deck penetration. There should not be any deformation of a bulkhead. Having a chain plate tear out and bring down your mast is a sure fire way to ruin a day. What is "reasonably firm" in regards to structural components?

EDIT: Also check the mast deck plate and core there for water intrusion. Another place that leaks a lot. I recored that area on mine before I sold it. I had to redo the bulkheads over the winter I first owned it as well.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hi John, welcome aboard. The 25 is a beautiful boat. Sounds like the prior owner maintained her sell was easy to deal with. Use the long winter evenings to read thru prior posts in the oday forum. Lots of great help there.
Good luck.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks all, I plan to address the both the chain plate and compression post issues. My comment was given the previous boats I had seen advertised ready to sail and there was signifigantly more damage, so this looked good compared to them.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
John,
Most posts about 25's are posted in the Day Sailor section but you can always post in the Ask An Oday Sailor. In Bigger Boats you will usually find 27 or greater.
Enjoy!

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
Hi John,
I just bought an O'day 25 this week as well. I am in the Mid Atlantic area so won't be doing any sailing for at least another month or so. This is my 3rd O'day. My father had a Day Sailer when I was growing up, and my wife and I bought a 222 some years back that we sailed for a number of years. I think that they are great boats...very reliable and well built. It would be nice to keep in touch with you as a fellow new owner.
Doug

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Awesome and congratulations. We are new at sail boats but really like the layout and condition is great. I have a blue notebook with needs, wants and info I have learned.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
So I know that I will need to address the bulkheads and compression post so I've been doing some research online. Obviously the best approach is to tear out everything, replace and seal any leaks. I'm a bit curious because most of the post I have looked at show large post, in the 4x4 size with 3/4" bulkheads (these are not O'Day 25 BTW). As I recall from my inspection the post in the O'Day is a 2x4 and the bulkheards didn't look that thick to me, maybe 1/2". Is the O'Day Fiberglass significantly overbuilt in these areas to allow the smaller post and bulkheads? I honestly saw very little gel coat cracking in the top deck and nothing around the mast or chain plates.

I know there are a couple of thoughts over do it and add more because that has to be "better", but if this boat is in as good of shape it is in right now and the wood is 40+ years old, I really can't see why not just replace with what was there instead. Our plans are very much limited to learning and sailing on the Lake Guntersville / TN River area. No intentions of any long journeys or significant sailing in bad weather.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
John,
These O'days lasted this long as built so no need to over engineer it now. Just replace with same size. Much easer to do I'm sure.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks, I'm learning it is easy to get a bit carried away with these boats. I have to remember we are learning and seeing how this will work for us this year. Down the road we can either keep her and upgrade or move up. Not sure but sort of depends on where we plan to go in our sailing journey.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Resized_20170211_081107.jpg
Resized_20170211_081052.jpg
Resized_20170211_080955.jpg
Resized_20170211_080905.jpg
Resized_20170211_080902.jpg
Resized_20170211_080847.jpg
Resized_20170211_080833.jpg
A few pictures, taking a test sail on Saturday.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Oday 25 Bradenton Beach Florida
Yep, same boat as I. Glad I was in great shape with all that chain plate and compression post stuff. Seen the window AC in wall over where stove area but I don't see it sticking out the other side, where does the exhaust go, to hot for me to run it underneath here in Florida. 6 foot draft I'm guessing. Looks good, she will fly and you can do Jib, Genoa and a spinnaker. ⚓

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
It vents to the outside under the seat in the cockpit, drains to a bucket to be emptied overboard. Kind of creative install and only used with shore power. I'll probably keep it for now. I also got additional items from the seller last night that include, battery charger, fish/depth finder, Raymarine auto tiller, VHF radio (Uniden) and four new life vests. Sail inventory is 2 mains, a jib, a genoa and spinnaker.

These are close up of the areas of concern.

Attachments

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
I noticed I have three front sail sliders on each side of my boat, front one for jib, middle for Genoa and the big long one in the back that you have for spinnaker. Just happened to notice.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I've never sailed on a boat with a Spinnaker, The seller said the previous owner was a big time sailor in the Guntersville, AL area and raced and took real care and pride in the boat. Still, it will need some attention for my peace of mind and family safety.

Oliver

Mar 16, 2014
Spinnaker for downhill flying, don't let it hit the water, it's like and anchor. There is a couple different ways to sail one, with or without jib. Yes, be real careful with more that two persons aboard, watch rudder handle, figure out how to hold it steady and let go. The boat loves to lay down, don't fall off my friend.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Oliver, pretty sure those front two sliders were added on. All the 25s I've seen are like John's with a single standup block for the jib sheets. It works OK but for fine trimming of the jib a slider track works better.

John, looks good. I like where the AC is mounted. I have a cabinet there but we have wanted a way to install a small AC for those hot nights. I'm going to think about that.
You'll have lots of fun learning on that boat and as Oliver says, it can fly.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Ward, I've been reading too much on chain plates coming out so that has me a bit concern.