New Forums: Questions, Suggestions, Comments

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Nice clean, fresh look, eze to navigate, no issues here (from laptop)....Well done!!!

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Yesterday a thread refused to accept a reply. Today another one did so.
And, what is a "reaction score"?? (There was some sort of number associated with a member site name, and it is gone now...)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
A reaction score was called Likes in the previous iteration of the software. It is still there, just not visible. Put your cursor over your avatar (or anyone's avatar) and you will see the reaction score. Don't click (you can if you want), just hover.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
New discovery. There is a time limit on how long you have to come back and edit your post. 15 minutes. I swear I did not leave the computer for 15 minutes.. Well maybe to make a little more coffee. But...

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
Phil,
I used to filter for recents and if a post wasn't pertinent to my interests or I couldn't be helpful I could "mark post as read". I don't see a way to do that now in the PC version.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Uncledom. It is being worked on. I think it appeared then it vanished then reappeared now again gone. Something about the software link not functioning like it did in the new software version. I suspect it will come back. I liked the feature as well.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
There are two ways to accomplish that in the New World Order. First, you can go to the forum you want to follow and click the Follow button, on top of the list to the right. Or, you can configure a Custom Forum to contain only the forums you want to see by hiding the ones you don't. That won't get you email alerts but figured it's worth mentioning. :)

There's also a feature that will send you a daily email with the five most popular topics from the prior day, but the link for that seems to be MIA. I'll follow that up.
I think I got it set back up. Thnx

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Hi,
I just wrote a loooong post which required a lot of editing after I posted it. The system cut me off after 15 minutes of editing. Can you check that setting please? I can’t organize my thoughts that fast!

Thank you for all you do for us

Regards,
Judy

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Is there an equivalent to this link that can be used for bookmarking purposes?
Somebody probably answered this already but I haven't scroll to the end of the thread. :)

Code:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/whats-new/

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@isaksp00 I seem to be able to post from my Android phone, earlier try with a PC and both Chrome and Edge failed. How do we get the app - what is it called?
The apps will be a few days yet.

Login using safari on an ipad is strange. Attempt to log in results in default to “Looks like you are already logged in” page. Then re-try finally results in a true log in.
Yesterday I attempted to post a reply with quote an it would not post at all
@DougM I suspect that will go away; you no doubt had a cookie or two set from the old board which caused that.

Yesterday a thread refused to accept a reply. Today another one did so.
And, what is a "reaction score"?? (There was some sort of number associated with a member site name, and it is gone now...)
@FastOlson As Brian D said, it's "like." I'll change that label.

Phil,
I used to filter for recents and if a post wasn't pertinent to my interests or I couldn't be helpful I could "mark post as read". I don't see a way to do that now in the PC version.
@uncledom We're working on that but it may be a while. The old version had a great plugin for that; the new one redirects you to the end of the thread you're marking read, which is ridiculous. So we may have to write something to replace it.

The system cut me off after 15 minutes of editing. Can you check that setting please? I can’t organize my thoughts that fast!
@DrJudyB Sorry about that, extended to 1 hour.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
New member, I have a 30hp 4 cylinder universal engine in a Pacific Seacraft 37ft sailboat. Motor runs great at all speeds and loads however it is hard to start if starter fluid is not used in the start procedure. It has heaters on the injectors and I let it heat up the required 1-2 minutes before trying to start it. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks David
Welcome to the best sailing forum on the globe.
I suggest posting this under "Ask All Sailors" which is found under "Shared Forums".

Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I miss the go back link in each individual post. Example from a post in "Ask all sailors" the link takes you back to the "Ask all sailors" index.
Unless I missed something (highly likely).
Ken

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It seems we have the first multi-generational forum here.

Must be saving the date in the wrong format, but at least it doesn't read 12/31/1969.

Edit: this is fixed now.
You have a lingering issue with something from 1969? :)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Phil,

Is there a way to create a link to "New Posts" or "All forums All Discussions"? I can't seem to create one that works a second time??

My old link to "All Forums All Discussions" was:

Is there an equivalent to this link that can be used for bookmarking purposes?
Exactly what I was going to ask.
I'll keep reading this topic and see what happens.
Thanks to all for the upgrade and all of you who worked with Phil on this.

Feb 26, 2004
New discovery. There is a time limit on how long you have to come back and edit your post. 15 minutes. I swear I did not leave the computer for 15 minutes.. Well maybe to make a little more coffee. But...
John and Phil,

This is just plain wrong. As in WRONG. Both Maine Sail and I are proponents of never-ending editing, and don't like forums without it. Sometimes things change, and sometimes edits in the future can make the original post better.
Please, please, please, make NO TIME LIMITS on editing.
Dr. Judy B's issue is important, too.

Feb 26, 2004
@Stu Jackson, this should work for you:

Code:
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/whats-new/
*Just leave that number off the end.
Thanks, Phil.
What number?
I used the whats-new c&p and now I understand.
Just not the side by side of the old legacy page, which many of us liked.
Thanks again.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Stu, I am the same. All Forums All Discussions was my home. I keep jumping between Recent Activity and What's New. I found Recent Activity does not update correctly, so now I am on What's New. It is the closest thing to All Forums All Discussions.

Phil reset the edit timer to 1 hr. That should help.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Stu, I am the same. All Forums All Discussions was my home. I keep jumping between Recent Activity and What's New. I found Recent Activity does not update correctly, so now I am on What's New. It is the closest thing to All Forums All Discussions.

Phil reset the edit timer to 1 hr. That should help.
I set the edit timer to indefinite. Brian, I'll PM you about All Forums All Discussions.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Good job on the posting fix, Phil! So far I like the new format. One question- there used to be a symbol on a post that indicated that I have replied. Is there any way of implementing that? I see that any post I just look at or reply gets a "eyeball" symbol. If the eyeball was put just for posts that were replied, that would be fine.

BTW, the response on uploading a file seems to have gone supersonic!! Excellent!