New Forums: Questions, Suggestions, Comments

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Good job on the posting fix, Phil! So far I like the new format. One question- there used to be a symbol on a post that indicated that I have replied. Is there any way of implementing that? I see that any post I just look at or reply gets a "eyeball" symbol. If the eyeball was put just for posts that were replied, that would be fine.

BTW, the response on uploading a file seems to have gone supersonic!! Excellent!
I'll see what I can do with that. In the process of updating the forums we also moved to a newer database platform and upgraded php, both of which speed things up considerably.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Is there a way to mark all recent posts as "Read"? Maybe I just haven't found it yet.....

OK, I just found "New Posts" under "What's New". That might work fine for me.

Last edited:
May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
here used to be a symbol on a post that indicated that I have replied. Is there any way of implementing that? I see that any post I just look at or reply gets a "eyeball" symbol. If the eyeball was put just for posts that were replied, that would be fine.
If you look at the list of posts each one has the avatar of its creator on the left side. If you've replied your avatar will be superimposed over the corner of the OP's.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I like the new look. As I explore, I am sure I'll find more things I like. Any chance there might be links to great sailing videos, in the future? And I don't mean bikinis and drunk seens. Looking for more informative, DIY helpful and how to do this correctly. Plus a few delightful sunsets!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
@Rich Stidger - there is a link under the Forums item on the left that will mark everything read. I will try to add that link to the new activity pages in the next few days.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Any chance there might be links to great sailing videos, in the future? And I don't mean bikinis and drunk seens. Looking for more informative, DIY helpful and how to do this correctly. Plus a few delightful sunsets!
The Media section of this site is largely undiscovered, and I believe we can set something up in there to embed good videos.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Good job restoring the "Mark as Read" button, but there's a bug. Not only does it mark the entry as read, it also takes me to the entry that I didn't want to read. Did I say "Good job with the forum upgrade?" Tks again!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
HaHaHa,

@mainesail, I FOUND the old LEGACY page.

Go to HOME, then forums, new posts. Ther word llegacy has disappeared, but the page is there.

Lovely.

Bookmark, or triple click to get there:

The URL I c&p'ed just converted it.

Text is >>>>>>httpsXXXX://sbo.sailboatowners.com/recent-fx.php>>>>>>

Would be nice to simply have a button or tab on every page that appears.

Like buying a new boat: you learn something new, and find cool things! :)

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
FYI... I am aware that the "Mark Read" button is doing a weird redirect when you click it. We're working on it!
That redirect was also in the old iteration of the software. I think that is normal. It might be "normal", IMHO.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
That redirect was also in the old iteration of the software. I think that is normal. It might be "normal", IMHO.
Interestingly, the author of that code snippet says it's a bug. One that we made use of for a long time! We're having that modified so it will do its thing without any redirect or page reload.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Was it really a bug? LOL I got used to it and, meh, it did what it did and that was that. ROFLMAO. See? What is "normal" my shrink used to say.

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
I regularly log into SBO using an iPad.
It used too automatically recognize me on login, but now I need to login with id and password each time.
Not sure whether this is an iPad issue or change in the new SBO website?
On login, it takes me automatically to new Catalina 22 posts. Unread posts were clearly highlighted in bold text. Now I find little distinction between bold headings (unread posts) and regular headings (posts I have already read) . Could these be better differentiated?
After reading the new posts, there used to be a Catalina 22 tag line at the bottom of the page, to take me back to the other unread posts in this category. That now seems to have disappeared! I now need to use the up arrow to go back to the top of the page to find that tag line! (not a major issue, but nevertheless annoying!)
Lastly, I was unable to find the new SBO app in the App Store! What is it called?