New adventure, new boat

Feb 11, 2017
Gulfstar 47 NC
Fantastic... I love those 80s boats. Look at all that room. There will be room on the rail for the grill.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Congratulations! Where is located now? Is she going to Ottawa or down on the St. Lawrence?
Currently in Whitby, Ontario, going to Ottawa for now. There are a few projects to work on that will be easier being in town. The plan is to move the boat to Kingston in about 4 or 5 years. She was hauled out Wednesday and I prepped her for transport. The previous owner has been incredibly helpful, lending a hand, helping winterize and walking me through systems on the boat.
20190926_104412.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
That’s an awesome boat and you will love KIngston as home port. I’d be happy to share local knowledge if you require.
Yes, sharing local knowledge will be helpful, especially about dangerous places like the Kingston Brewing Co. or the siren like attraction of Pan Chancho bakery. :rolleyes:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Yes, sharing local knowledge will be helpful, especially about dangerous places like the Kingston Brewing Co. or the siren like attraction of Pan Chancho bakery. :rolleyes:
I haven't been to the Pan Chancho bakery but I like the beef dip at the Portsmouth Tavern across the road from Portsmouth harbour.
I have sailed out of Kingston many times over the years but unfortunately it will be a few years until I move the boat there.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I haven't been to the Pan Chancho bakery but I like the beef dip at the Portsmouth Tavern across the road from Portsmouth harbour.
I have sailed out of Kingston many times over the years but unfortunately it will be a few years until I move the boat there.
I think this is a situation where you will need first hand knowledge of these dangerous places. :)

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Sounds like the PO still loves the boat. You got a beauty.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
AKA zero tolerance. What may also happen is when the belt fails, bits of it end up inside the engine, clogging the oil ports and channels, thus starving the engine of lubricating oil. How do I know this...?
Terry,
FWIW I have owned many VW diesels & several VW gas engines including an 81 Rabbit diesel, same as the boat in question. Currently we have just one VW gasser. I have changed many VW and non VW timing belts. I have never seen one capable of getting bits inside of the engine. A plastic sprocket for a chain or a fiber gear sure but not a belt. What often happens is the valve stem seals fall apart and clog the oil pickup, but I never seen this on a VW. When the timing components on most diesels fail it destroys the engine, this is also true for modern automotive gas engines.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
When the timing components on most diesels fail it destroys the engine, this is also true for modern automotive gas engines.
That depends on if they are interference or non-interference engines. I used to have a car with a non-interference engine. The timing belt broke and the car simply stopped running. Replaced the timing belt and kept on driving. Simple. Interference engine - lose timing belt, replace engine.

I've never heard of the bits and pieces getting into the engine, but on an interference engine, it doesn't really matter. Break timing belt - replace engine.

dj

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
dj, aren't almost all diesels interference engines? Most modern automotive engines are interference, as far as I know.

You are correct. You never want the piston to meet the valve.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I believe the diesel in my Mercedes is a non-interference engine, but as I write this I realize I'm not 100% sure. It may well be I don't worry about it as it runs a timing chain, not a belt. I don't really know anything about the modern gas engines. I haven't driven a gasoline engine vehicle in over 20 years. So my experience with them is clearly dated. You very well could be correct.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I'm going to repeat myself - Beautiful boat!

That's the kind of clean-up you like to have....

dj