New adventure, new boat

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
After about 20 years with my C&C27 I decided it was time for a bit more room. I haven't raced my boat in 5 years, I only race OPBs (other peoples boats) these days so I went looking for a cruising boat. It took a couple of years and I enjoyed the process of getting to learn more about various brands and builds, driving across the province, poking around in boats. A little over a month ago I stepped aboard an Islander Freeport 36 and found what I was looking for. I didn't know much about these boats a couple of months ago, other than they are a Perry design.
We took the boat for a sea trial, maybe it was the beautiful weather but the hook sunk deeper. The survey went well and now it's official, I own Integrity 1 - for now, we are working on a new name :)

Tomorrow I am driving down to haul the boat and prepare for transporting her to her new home.

20190831_150113.jpg

DSC01546.JPG

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good looking boat. Congrats on your acquisition. Did you get the A or B layout?

Like the big windows. They will be nice on a cold foggy morning.
Sounds you got a solid motor if she still has the Perkins working.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Nice! Have always liked Perry designs. :plus:on the Perkins. Congrats!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Very Cool! Bob Perry has a pretty active Facebook site and you should let him know you are the new owner.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Did you get the A or B layout?
The B layout - the layout is one of the things I really like about this boat.
:plus:on the Perkins
This is a 1981, they had switched to the VW Pathfinder diesel by then. The engine seems to be in good shape, some smoke when cold, only 1360 hours on the meter FWIW. The boat was unused for about 10 years before the current owner (now previous?) bought it so it could be real hours although it seems low. It sounds like the original owner used the boat lightly even before it was stored.
I love the design and the build quality seems very good. The family I bought it off has made some upgrades and has been keeping it well maintained for the past 9 years. Still, it's an old boat so I have a few things to attend to.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Congratulations! Where is located now? Is she going to Ottawa or down on the St. Lawrence?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Congrats! Perfect for a growing family. That 9 extra feet is in the middle. Makes a big difference. Did you sell your old one yet?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Is this the Perkins or the Pathfinder engine? Sorry, didn't seem clear to me in the thread.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Smoking when cold may simply be cured by changing the injectors. Those engines like to run, not sit. It's not a big deal to change the injectors. Does it have a turbo?

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
No turbo. I was thinking of getting the injectors tested. I will see how it runs next year and, if I'm not happy with it I may have them tested. The engine ran fine for the sea trial so no immediate work required.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
They run a
No turbo. I was thinking of getting the injectors tested. I will see how it runs next year and, if I'm not happy with it I may have them tested. The engine ran fine for the sea trial so no immediate work required.
If you don't have maintenance documents showing the timing belt being changed I would put that on the hot list to get done. This is an interference engine and if you loose a timing belt you destroy the engine. Also check the cooling pump. Then just run the engine... These are incredibly efficient diesel engines!

dj

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
This is an interference engine and if you loose a timing belt you destroy the engine.
AKA zero tolerance. What may also happen is when the belt fails, bits of it end up inside the engine, clogging the oil ports and channels, thus starving the engine of lubricating oil. How do I know this...?

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
These boats are very well-favored in the pacific northwest. Of course, it's Perry country anyway.