Need your opinion. Help me spend my money

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
Just wanted to thank everyone on this post from a couple of months ago. Took the advise of 100% of the replies and bought a new set of sails. Michigan's start to the summer has been ridiculously cold and rainy, so it has taken a while to get out to try the new sails. Did one test sail to get everything set up (relearn how to set up the boat every year). Then a local beer can race. WOW......WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Finished ahead of two boats I could not get ahead of before.
If anyone asked me what should I buy new sails or self-tailing winches, I'll advise, no question new sails. The advise here was spot on.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice Dennis. Congrats on the improvement. More practice and you’ll be ahead of several more.

Bring on the Summer.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
#1 place to spend money on a sailboat.
View attachment 160049

#2 place for me, is to fix what's broken.

#3 Maintain what's there (if it's made it this long, it's probably better than a new replacement).

After I owned my old boat for 8 or so years, I had to do an insurance value survey. Much to my embarrassment, it went down in value... :)

But when I looked around at other similar boats - for sale - that had new everything, I realized I'd saved money, a lot of money.

The $$ spent is gone as soon as the check clears, make sure you enjoy the return on what you buy for your boat.

Beautiful shape on those sails, Tom. That's a proper photo showing the shape.
Judy B

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I have self tailing winches on my Capri 22 but rarely use them but manually. A 22 footer does not need much power so I can trim the Genoa under load without using the winch other than to hold the sheet. I don't sail when the wind is up over about 12 mph, I go drink beer and watch others struggling with their sails. Day sail only, you wouldn't want to try sleeping in a Capri 22. My prior boat, Hunter 23.5 also did not require the use of the winch handle, just pull in hard and slowly release until the sail shape is right. On a bigger boat, the winches are necessary and self tailing allows an easier set. Even so, de-power the sails, adjust, then fall off to re-power the trimmed sail. I am not racing thus do not need to keep power on at all times.