Need your opinion. Help me spend my money

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
OK, Status
I own a 1984 Oday 28. Beautiful boat in very good shape. Truly use it for family day sails (including sons and daughters, son-in-law and daughter-in-law, 3and 5 year old grand kids), but once in a blue moon a local sailboat race (son-in-law as crew). Consider my self to be an extremely lucky sailor to have so much family involvement (they really enjoy the snacks), and I hope you all are lucky enough to do the same.
Question: How to spend my, once in a life time, limited budget for improvements.
Know that every year the boat gets cared for with annual misc. improvements. This is a one time, major improvement program with no additionally major program planned.
My boat budget for improvements is $2,500 to $3,500. Know that the mentioned racing is not a phrf event, but rather a race for fun event with 6, 8, 10 boats involved with two main themes racing/beer. Soo much fun. (Thank you son-in-law and local yacht club). Do I invest in new sails (both main and genoa are currently 1984 OEM) or new self tailing winches.
I do not promise to take your advise, but truly do want your opinion. If you do want to suggest a "micro brewery beer", I will do everything in my power to follow your suggestion. Live in Michigan.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Another vote for sails. They'll help not just with the races but also to keep the boat flatter and better balanced so the cruising crew can enjoy the snacks even more.

Nov 30, 2009
Oday 28 Lake Michigan
OK. love the opinions-votes, but maybe additional request. What is your reason? Don't Island packet 35's have self-tailing winches already? Owner of a J/boat voting for sails. Now there is a surprise!!!!! Beneteau 37 totally understand your vote. Alden 50, you understand why I'm asking the question. I think thay are both GREAT improvements, but can only afford one of them.

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Sails this year; selftailers next year.
Get a main with full battens and Genoa on a furler.
Third year: asymmetric spinnaker with sock or on a top down furler off a bowsprit?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Many winches can be upgraded for self tailing with a moulded rubber fitting atop the drum that you can by from Defender Marine. I had these on the primaries of my P-30 for 6 or 7 yr. They work well enough for the highly reduced cost compared to new dedicated self-tailers.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Self tailing winches are real nice when sailing single handed or minimal crew. Sounds like you have plenty of crew to tail winches so.......
After 34 years it is time for new sails. They got to be blown out. When a gust hits, the old sails make the boat heel and it will slowly pick up speed. New sails just get up and go. They will also give you some trim options that just did not work with the old sails.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
OMG... SAILS! 1984? Eeek! You are gonna LOVE new sails! Frankly, if you don’t buy the new sails, we are gonna beat your @$$!

Aug 3, 2012
Kermit, what you are referring to is spelled wEnches... and you cannot keep them after you have spent your money!

Aug 3, 2012
Spend the other $800 on plane tickets for my wife and me to come up to sail with you.
I think Kermit should pay for all of us to come up and sail with you! I will trailer my Tri up there.... maybe... after I ask my wife.

Aug 3, 2012
Like Kings said... grabbers can convert a couple of wInches for 100 bucks.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Definitely sails. I don't think you have an option. If you don't use your budget to replace your 1984 vintage sails now, you'll be in for another big expenditure very soon.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Don't Island packet 35's have self-tailing winches already?
Yah, deh do. I'm now looking at a Sailrite machine to help out the current sails' condition.
It friggin' never ends...