Navigational Buoys Used as Racing Marks

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You are hanging your hat on "constrained by draft".... You were not constrained by draft. You boat has less than 6 feet of draft. You could have easily gone to the land side of that red buoy. Plus the channel is plenty wide where you are talking. You were motoring, you were not showing a constrained by draft indications (which you shouldn't have) - those sail boats were the stand on vessels but apparently you are complaining you had to look out for them... I'm recalling a saying my mother used to use - "You're looking for sympathy? You'll find it right in the dictionary between sh!t and syphilis.."

dj

View attachment 226816
You and others seem to have an inability to appreciate the situation - where you are motoring slowly into a harbor, and suddenly a fleet of fast moving sailboats cuts you off. I assure you, despite my best intentions to give way, I had a difficult time avoiding hitting them.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I once had a similar incident entering Newport Harbor. It's a busy place and you can have real ocean swells with an afternoon wind chop superimposed on the swells. Add to that a lot of traffic and a fleet of YNG's racing out of the harbor, some. AC 12's circling around and you could have a pucker situation. Did I mention the car carriers coming down the bay?
As RC I often specified government buoys as marks as did all of the local clubs. I wouldn't pick a buoy which was adjacent to un-navigatable water - for the reason that you don't want parts of the fleet to ground there. I would always use buoys that had at least 50 yards of water before the shallow water as is often the case.
We would submit our races to the USCG to be published in the LNM for that week. Recreational boaters generally don't look at that publication but we thought it would give us (Our insurance company) a bit of an edge if there was a claim. We did have occasional stare downs with fishermen but when they see twenty sailboats heading at them they would usually leave. I would communicate with them if possible, being nice, and can't remember a problem.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I once had a similar incident entering Newport Harbor. It's a busy place and you can have real ocean swells with an afternoon wind chop superimposed on the swells. Add to that a lot of traffic and a fleet of YNG's racing out of the harbor, some. AC 12's circling around and you could have a pucker situation. Did I mention the car carriers coming down the bay?
Thanks you, I'm glad you appreciate it. Traffic in the bay was not an issue at this time, though there was a 675' freighter coming south when I got there. But not an issue. It was just that this fleet came up so suddenly, right across the harbor entrance, that it was startling and dangerous, in my experience.

By the way, I've been here dozens of times, and this has never happened to me before.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
You and others seem to have an inability to appreciate the situation - where you are motoring slowly into a harbor, and suddenly a fleet of fast moving sailboats cuts you off. I assure you, despite my best intentions to give way, I had a difficult time avoiding hitting them.
A quote from Hamlet comes to mind: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
A quote from Hamlet comes to mind: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

dj
Alright, never mind. Never got the answer to my question regarding the legality of using navaids as racing marks, and no harm was done.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
View attachment 226815

The total width of this entrance, from the point at Fort Adams, on the left, to the bottom Goat Island, on the right, is 2,300'. Between the buoys is probably 1,500' or so.

The small arrow is me, entering. The longer arrow is that fleet coming at me. I don't know where exactly they were coming from, probably from the East side of Goat Island, as I didn't see them until they were on top of me.
Navionics puts it at 0.3 miles between the buoys. If I were a race committee I would probably not hesitate to use buoys at that spacing. The fact that these are sport boats going 20+ knots does complicate things though, and like you said “you probably just had to be there.” I’m sure it’s no consolation but the racers are probably used to much closer passes than you and probably didn’t think you were too close.

Never got the answer to my question regarding the legality of using navaids as racing marks
I’ve also heard that rumor but I’ve never seen it codified anywhere. If nothing else it’s not a regulation that’s enforced to any significant extent. The Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association publishes all of the marks that it uses for every race on the bay at CBYRA RACING MARKS. Almost all of them are government ATONs, and they’re not some little beer can racing club.