Moisture in rudder

SamRy

May 4, 2017
Oday 322 Grand Bend
I'm in the process of purchasing my first sailboat. The boat is a 1988 32 foot Oday. I'm told there is elevated moisture in the rudder but expected for a boat this age. Is this something I need to be concerned about and have repaired immediately or is it something I can monitor and have it repaired only if it gets worse?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I would look at a fix with the freezing temperatures you have up north. Water expands when frozen and might start causing serious structural damage that leads to a failure. If I had a big boat like that I'd probably remove the rudder now and repair before sailing.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Wet rudders are pretty common. Typically water enters through the joint between the rudder and the rudder post. The repair is not all that difficult and can be done by a reasonably competent DIY boater. Here's a good video series on it.

You live in a cold place, eventually there will be enough water in the rudder that it will freeze and split open along one of the seams. So a rudder repair is in your future. But I wouldn't avoid the boat because of the water. My boat had a split rudder from freezing and I bought it anyway. Of course the prior owner paid for the repair.

Edit: Oops, forgot to post the link! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV97GZkHhpHMfaW24ZBR-xitL-TN2si9A

SamRy

May 4, 2017
Oday 322 Grand Bend
Thanks guys great feedback. Is this something that would normally be negotiated in the final price of the boat and if so, what's a reasonable $$$ value ?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Yes you can use it a negotiating chip. How much it is worth is hard to say, probably not the cost of the whole repair, depends on other factors such as current selling price, the price you negotiated, how much other similar boats are selling for, etc. etc. Materials cost is pretty low, maybe $50 US, it is the labor that will add to the cost. Check with a few yards around you for their ideas.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Rudders often contain water, especially 30 year old rudders, the question is has it done verifiable damage - bulging, splitting, loose rudder-to-post connection. When you haul the boat at the end of the season drill a hole in the bottom of the rudder and see what you can drain out. That will also reduce the chance of freeze expansion.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
a professional rudder rebuild can be VERY expensive. this can be worth 1 to 5K off the price in the negotiations . if you do this job yourself, you'll have to consider if the steel 'skeleton' inside the rudder is still salvageable. if the fluid coming out of the rudder at its base tastes like vinegar (acetic acid) it means the rudder material is delaminating and the rudder needs to be rebuilt. (then again, you could sail with a dripping rudder for years.... the worst case is it breaks loose from the rudder post , and you need to be towed . )

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd start with B.O.A.T as a negotiation point:)
BOAT Blow Out Another Thousand (boating slang)
BOAT Bring Over Another Thousand (boating slang)

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Not usually an issue unless you find rust streeks. Find a moisture meter and check all the rudders in any boat yard. Bet you a six pack you will find moisture in most every sailboat rudder over 5 years old. Drill a 3/8 hole near the bottom on one side, does a small clear drip come out or a gush of rusty water? Usual fix is as easy as drilling a few holes and filling with epoxy.
On o'day boats the water usually comes from the emergency tiller connection not the shaft rudder joint.
If that is the only issue in a 30 year boat you have found a very well maintained one.

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Familiar world. When I bought my Hunter 34 14 years ago it had a bulge in the stbd side of the rudder about 2/3 up from the bottom and the size and shape of a football. Stuck out about an inch. Probably had come from moisture freezing in the rudder. Boat was from Chicago area.
The quote from Bristol here in TO was $1700 if I remember right -and another $1500 to remove the rudder!. I tried digging a hole under the rudder while on the hard but winter storage is on a landfill site and too much concrete. I ground out the bulged area and down to where the foam filling was white- about an inch down from rudder surface- built it back up with epoxy and matting. wrapped the whole surface ( after sanding down to gelcoat) with another layer of epoxy and cloth. Added two 1/4 inch holes in the bottom which I drill out every fall at haulout and fill with bedding compound before each launch.
Has worked just fine for 14 years. cost me maybe 50$