Mid-Ship Cleat

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
We've had the Schaefer's for several years now, excellent quality and easy to move. Good addition to the boat.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
On our Catalina 310 we installed a jib track cleat, slid it all the way aft, attached a line there and using a docking stick adapter the Admiral simply loops the seaward cleat on our slip as I slowly slide forward. Always works and I just step off the boat and tie up the rest.

Another option from Amazon $39.95 for 2

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
We've had the Scaefer's for several years now, excellent quality and easy to move. Good addition to the boat.

I added this to our last boat O'Day 34. LOVED IT.

Feb 22, 2015
Catalina 30 Redondo Beach
Fell in love with mid-ship cleats when sailing with a cantankerous engine. Mid-ship cleats took the stress out of dead engine docking. In one memorable docking with a small-craft wind blowing me out of slip, the mid-ship cleat saved my butt.

The book Stress Free Sailing by Duncan Wells has pages of illustrations using mid-ship cleats for docking and getting underway.

Having an extra tie point sure feels good when the occasional gale blows in. Nothing like having a dock line chafe to the last strand to appreciate additional lines.

I sail pretty much every week, and yes a few times a year a jib sheet gets caught. Mostly because the crew - me - got sloppy. Easy to clear. The spin sheet never has been caught.

I used to use it as a preventer tie point. Only good in light wind, as the forces are too great at the angle of boom to mid-ship cleat to be safe on any sizeable wind. MorganCloud's blog has a convincing article on this point.

• Helpful

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
If Catalina gives you the option, have them install the cleat a couple of feet aft of midships. This is a much better location for the single handed docking maneuver mentioned earlier. The location is also unlikely to catch jib sheets compared to farther forward.