Mid-Ship Cleat

Sep 6, 2020
Catalina 315 74 Barrington, RI
Hi all,

Long-time sailor, but new to cruising and cruising boats (new to inboards, slips, etc.). I'm considering the purchase of a Catalina 315. It does not come with a mid-ship cleat. I can add one, but I'm told it may interfere with safe travel from stern to bow and back. Is it worth it? I'll be doing a lot of solo sailing, and I'm concerned about coming into a slip without one. I'm also wondering why Catalina doesn't have it standard, as they do on the larger models. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I believe for a smaller boat it may not be necessary. However it would be nice when docking. We always throw the midship line to the dock first. It is also a convenient place to tie the spring lines to as well. Just my thoughts. 31 Feet is not long and you can make it from one end to the other pretty quickly. May not be worth the trouble to install them. IMHO.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

A mid-ship cleat is useful when docking as you can motor up to a dock, attach a dock line to the mid-ship cleat, then loop a cleat on the dock, set the helm over and step off. The boat would sit quiet and secure while you casually set your fore and aft mooring and spring lines. That maneuver will impress your marina neighbors with your docking skills. That is how we always dock our sailboat.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
We added the type that slides onto the Genoa track and usee it only for docking. Midship cleats are very useful for docking for sure. Otherwise we do not use it and only have one which we can move to whichever side we are docking.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Different boat, but a PO installed mid-ship cleats on my O’Day 322. I am happy to have them, but I have stubbed my toe on them a few times.

My Hunter 280 did not have mid-ship cleats, and I missed them.

Greg

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
Mid-ship cleats are also very handy for tying off a boom brake system or boom preventer when sailing downwind.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Second Star has outboard genoa tracks that we never use when sailing, so we installed Schaeffer rail mount cleats and use them for docking and for spring lines. They work well and are out of the way, no stubbed toes.

Garhauer also make rail cleats and I have used them on another boat, Schaffer's are just more attractive and a little more expensive.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Remember, Phil is coming up with a new toe rail cleat, even if fot Hunter rails. Might fit others. My B323 came with a fairlead opening in the side rails, but no cleat. I got 2 B OEM cleats like the bow and stern. It has been great- especially for spring lines, as my club does alot of rafting.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you are worried about interference install one of these
24981E54-0411-4AF7-A47C-0EE591826DAE.jpeg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our Hunter 30 has no midship cleat, but I tie off to the toe rail. That's what those holes are for. It works great.

Ken

Tomusa

Feb 28, 2018
Catalina 310 295 South Portland, ME
Our Hunter 30 has no midship cleat, but I tie off to the toe rail. That's what those holes are for. It works great.

Ken
Hi all,

Long-time sailor, but new to cruising and cruising boats (new to inboards, slips, etc.). I'm considering the purchase of a Catalina 315. It does not come with a mid-ship cleat. I can add one, but I'm told it may interfere with safe travel from stern to bow and back. Is it worth it? I'll be doing a lot of solo sailing, and I'm concerned about coming into a slip without one. I'm also wondering why Catalina doesn't have it standard, as they do on the larger models. Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony
On our Catalina 310 we installed a jib track cleat, slid it all the way aft, attached a line there and using a docking stick adapter the Admiral simply loops the seaward cleat on our slip as I slowly slide forward. Always works and I just step off the boat and tie up the rest.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
On our Catalina 30 we've been looping a dock line around the aft winch when docking and using that as you would a midship cleat. I'm not sure about the 315 but on our boat this slows us down and pulls us in with out issue, then we tie off on the bow and stern cleats.

Sep 6, 2020
Thanks so much, everybody! I really appreciate the guidance. So, I'm likely buying the boat new from Catalina, and they will install mid-ship cleats for ~$500 extra as they build the boat. They won't cut the toe rail, but will raise the cleats above the rail. I asked Catalina about the toe rail options, and they said the toe rail is strong enough to get the boat safely against the dock, but not strong enough for long-term docking especially in any heavy-weather. I forgot to ask them about the jib track option. It seems to me, that for $500, it's a no brainer to have them install them - I can then use them for single-handed docking assistance, and for long-term spring line docking. Only downsides I've heard so far are are possible toe stubbing, and possible jib interference. I'm a bit worried about the jib interference. Any further thoughts on the prevalence of this?

Sep 6, 2020
Duck21, to you ever find that the spring lines, run to the bow and stern cleats, rub against the boat while docked? Is this a concern?

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
I made a rudimentary drawing of my normal docking configuration.

I think the boat angle in my drawing may be a little exaggerated, but I typically dock with the bow pointed "in" to the channel to facilitate getting on/off the boat. I've never had an issue with the spring line rubbing--that may be mostly due to the mid-ship cleat on the dock being a little forward of the center of the boat. If I have a breeze from the stern the spring line pulls the boat in tight against the fenders before the line can rub on the boat.

The only thing that's a little awkward is that the port side bow cleat has two lines--if you use larger dock lines you may not have quite enough room for both to attach. I don't remember sizing on the lines I use forward, but they both fit (even though it is a little tight).

Attachments

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
It looks like the 315's have a slotted toe rail, we loop a soft shackle on the rail midship and run a dockline to another cleat or winch.