Measurements of the Cutlass Bearing?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
A new shaft may be the way to go…you don’t want to doing this job again :(

If the prop was colored by the acid, and is bronze still shiny with a little polishing, maybe it is OK. Other than the colors, it looks ok. No corroded edges.

Greg

Feb 16, 2023
Hunter 27 cherubini 832 Lake Travis
A new shaft may be the way to go…you don’t want to doing this job again :(

If the prop was colored by the acid, and is bronze still shiny with a little polishing, maybe it is OK. Other than the colors, it looks ok. No corroded edges.

Greg
Actually Greg after I'm finished with this setup the shaft from the u-joint back to the prop will be easy to change out. The only struggle will be removing the prop. Then undo the set screws on the u-joint and the thrust bearing and it should slide right on out. Of course that's just a hypothesis. I have been inaccurate a couple times in my life. I've got so much heart and soul into this vessel I may never be able to get rid of it. but I do need to find a blue water boat for... well, blue water.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Actually Greg after I'm finished with this setup the shaft from the u-joint back to the prop will be easy to change out. The only struggle will be removing the prop. Then undo the set screws on the u-joint and the thrust bearing and it should slide right on out. Of course that's just a hypothesis. I have been inaccurate a couple times in my life. I've got so much heart and soul into this vessel I may never be able to get rid of it. but I do need to find a blue water boat for... well, blue water.
Oh right…I forgot you are using the u-joint set up…so you will be cutting the shaft.

Does the u-joint accept a shaft key? You can’t rely on just set screws to hold the shaft.

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Can I suggest that you heavily dimple the shaft under the two set screws ?

1694707026416.png

Why does the shaft look yellow ? I was under the impression it was SS or am I behind by a dozen or so previous posts ?

Feb 16, 2023
Can I suggest that you heavily dimple the shaft under the two set screws ?

Why does the shaft look yellow ? I was under the impression it was SS or am I behind by a dozen or so previous posts ?
Yes I will definitely be drilling dimples for all the set screws. Yes you must be a little bit behind Ralph. I've had the brass shaft all along.

Feb 16, 2023
To the Moon Ralph! Lol️
By the way Ralph, you misspelled "color". You guys also misspell words like flavor, behavior and honor. I don't even know why they call the language English. LOL

Yes, I can be a bit cheeky from time to time.

Feb 16, 2023
With the high % of Oriental population (including my beautiful daughter-in-law) here in British Columbia, we prefer to call it Chinglish, thank you very much :laugh: .
Here in America, it is improper to refer to people as "Oriental". We say Asian, when we refer to people and Oriental when we refer to things like a rug a piece of furniture... lol anyway I was just giving you a little Barney.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Here in America, it is improper to refer to people as "Oriental".
Oh yeah ? And what will you call me if and when I finally decide to make the transition over to a house plant, as I've always wanted to?

I advise you to choose your pronouns and ethnicity VERY carefully at that time :facepalm: .

• Ha
Feb 16, 2023
Oh yeah ? And what will you call me if and when I finally decide to make the transition over to a house plant, as I've always wanted to?

I advise you to choose your pronouns and ethnicity VERY carefully at that time :facepalm: .
Someday Ralph we'll have to get together and have a cold one. I appreciate your sense of humor. As I hope you do mine.

Feb 16, 2023
I figure it'll be cheapest if we meet somewhere in between B.C.
and Lake Travis. BTW, where is Lake Travis ?
Yeah I don't know if it would ever happen. You often give me a laugh. Anyway Lake Travis is in Austin Texas.