May be selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
What is a C-30 worth after you net out brokerage fees etc? How does that $$ translate over 30 years of mortgage? Does it really put you that much further ahead month over month? Can you stick her on the hard for a couple of years and then re-launch when the family is ready to sail again... Our daughter LOVES the boat and has been sailing since 14 months old.

If the boat does not owe you anything, and the money there is not a huge month over month dent, then it may pay to keep her in storage until you are ready again. When you do get ready again the dent buying and re-fitting a new boat will likely be much worse than your already known commodity. The re-entry costs, with a new boat, may be more than you are willing to spend compared to a couple years of sorage.

Some of the best family memories will be made sailing with family & friends.

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
good post Maine...great comments and foresight...

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I hear what you are talking about Mainesail. The issue is the continued expense.

It is cheaper to sell a boat then pay for a divorce. Especially if she is willing to allow me to get another boat in the future that is a little bit nicer.

This decision has troubled and hurt me greatly. I have thought and thought about it.

I have made most of the arguments that you guys make. I even made the argument that if I didn't have the boat I would still be spending money on other things. They didn't work. I never thought that this would happen. I guess we all make sacrifices for the ones we love but this one is a huge one.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I'm always uncomfortable chiming in on personal financial issues but this strikes me as more than financial. Maine opened his post with the finances in a nutshell and I'll add that my monthly expenses all inclusive, slipped year 'round amount to about the same as a new car. I'd choose the boat over a new car any day.

If it were me, a factor that has not been discussed and perhaps rightly so is the possibility of long term resentment. I speak from experience. The Westsail I built was sold for domestic reasons a few years after completion. The circumstances were different than yours except for the similarity of the boat being sacrificed. The relationship (no kids) was sacrificed as well. Following that I was without boat for 15 years raising my new family but mentoring others with their boats. It kept my hand in it.

My current wife understands fully. She is not a water person but accepts that I'd be miserable without the boat. Several years ago I even spent a week in BVI with a group of friends on a bareboat charter without her but with her blessing. She understands. I think I'll keep her.

If the argument is financial, what costs more:
A boat or a psychiatrist?
A boat or a bartender?
A boat or a mistress?

It's very delicate territory Bad, best of luck.

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
there is no tomorrow except for that micro second just at the strike of midnight....

and when one sacrifices for another the other as well must feel equally the pain,

otherwise it is like removing the hand from a bucket of water, when the ripples settle it was like the hand was never there...

D

dcande01

Ouch!

Bad, it sounds as though you've been handed an ultimatum. With that in mind, do you really think you'll be allowed to go off sailing on somebody else's boat? The comment then will be that you'll be abandoning your family. Think long and hard before you do something you'll be sorry for.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
WADR, we don't know this lady, and Bad O is in love with her. Please, please, please stop the lady-bashing, it's counterproductive and has nothing to do with boating. Please. Bad O's a great guy, respect his taste in ladies. I sure do.

Some of us have commented on the "possibility" of future resentment, but that's our take on his relationship and potential feelings, not his choice of who to marry.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Guys, I know this girl and she is SWEET and a LOVELY person...I even got to dance with her at the wedding.

Matt, I might be selling Java in about 5 years when I hang up the tiller. Make me an offer. Jackie can run her hair dryer. :)

BTW. talked to Honey and John who were anchored out in front of us at Cobb the other day...

May 12, 2013
MacGregor 25' Venture Clarksburg Ca
Sell or not to

I do not know your money situation, let me ask you if you smoke, the reason I ask is a friend of mine wanted a Harley and he smoked he found out if he quit and added 50 more he could get the bike(and that was before cig.went up so much in price) so he quit and got his bike. Also I had a Harley for along time and took many long ride's with my wife sometime's for a week, she decided one day she did not want to ride anymore and like you I do not like going by myself, so I sold the bike after it sat in the garage for about 2 years, and my uncle said I would regret it someday and I still do because things can change in life to where I will never be able to get another one. I have my boat though. My point is you need to REALLY look into trying to find a way to keep your boat. And I do not mean getting rid of the wife, the next one maybe worse than the one you have. And from what one person has already said she sounds ok. I think it would be a f good idea to sit down and see what you can give up to keep the boat.Also going out on someone else's is not the same,even renting one is not the same. I hope this will help

May 12, 2013
Sell or not too/maybe selling

When you look at my post that f in front of good is not suppose to be their:naughty:I need to start previewing my post's before I send them and not after

May 12, 2013
Sell or not/ maybe selling

Just a little history to selling maybe, I was married for a year a half many years ago, she left me because she liked every Tom Dick and Harry we even think a Jane she just did not like me, number 2 left also we just could'nt get along but I have two wonderful kid's and grand kids number 3 is still here and she the one that rode with me on the Harley and after going out on sat sun mon we got married on tues and that was 32 years ago and she is the one that bought the boat, my point in all of this is don't get rid of the wife, you might end up with my first wife:naughty:

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I think this thread has run its course and is getting way too personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.