May be selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Ugh....I never thought that this day would come. I have spent 7 years pampering my boat and getting things the exact way I want them. I have spent this spring getting ready for the season.

After many talks with my wife and promises made, there is a good chance I may put my boat on the market. For the first time in 9 years I will be without a sailboat.

The reality is that I wish I didn't have to do this but it is something that I probably should do. It would go a long way to a down payment on a house. I also feel that with the thoughts of starting a family in the near future my boat will be neglected.

Still, this is a hard decision and I am very sad about it. Sailing has always been a part of my life. I guess it always will. I will miss the long Chesapeake Bay cruises. The thing is, it sucks to do it by yourself.

I don't plan to be boatless forever. Years does seem like a long time. I also don't like the idea of down sizing to a cheaper boat because I am use to a certain standard when it comes to cruising. I would rather wait until the right time and get a nicer boat.

I hope that I will find some friends to cruise with some from time to time. I don't think that I could ever give this up totally. It is too much a part of my life.

Damn bad luck and this bad economy. I guess I should just be thankful I have an okay job.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
maybe the key part of this is 'The thing is, it sucks to do it by yourself'. If you could connect with someone else who would like to go out more and doesn't because they don't have crew, then maybe you have solved most of it. I know amongst our friends, so many of us now have our own, so we rarely go out together in one boat. I don't know anyone with a boat that wouldn't jump if a friend said, 'lets take your boat out!'. So, hook up with another sailor with a 30 or so and see if that helps calm your obsession:)

I sure can sympathize, I would hate to give up our girl.

jimmyb

Feb 12, 2010
Precison 165 NA
Sailing is sailing.

Seems to me if its really a part of your life and in you soul to sail, boat size certainly shouldn't matter so much. You might be surprised to learn how much fun can be had on a trailer sailor, pocket cruiser or dingy. Oh and how much extra money you will have for other interests.

What if one day you were not physically or monetarily able to afford you big boat? Would that be enough to stop you sailing...not me. As you get older priorities do change and finances must be devoted to other interests but if you REALLY want to sail you will find a way.

Your "certain standard" may have to change. If not willing to accept a more modest ride, it may not be as big a part of your life as you think.

Good luck to you, jimmyb

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
if your going to start a family you are only a few years away of having one of the best pastimes a young family would enjoy and create tremendous bonding

...that's sailing

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Maturity is looking at the facts straight-on, and making the hard decision. Family is of course the top priority.

I also don't like the idea of down sizing to a cheaper boat because I am use to a certain standard when it comes to cruising. I would rather wait until the right time and get a nicer boat.
I agree with Jimmy. There's sailing and there's cruising. I'm sure that cruising on a smaller boat would feel like roughing it since you're used to your 30'. On the other hand, with our 19' boat we SAIL. Alot. And we can stay on her for a few nights without being unhappy. So don't sneer at a cheap trailer-sailor; it's still a boat, fun to sail, and easy to buy and sell. We're currently shopping for a larger boat, but I have no intention of selling the 19' boat. It's just too much fun for the tiny price and it will hopefully be our last boat as well as our first.

Also, every club and marina seems to have its share of sailors who can't get out as often as they like due to illness, age, or work commitments. Most of these would be happy to meet someone who'd enjoy sailing with them, and help out a bit with work and costs.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I'm of the same frame of mind as JimmyB..... you don't have to own a 30 ft. boat resting in a nearby marina to enjoy sailing. I've spent most of my sailing life on other people's larger boats or my own dinghies and beach cats. My son and I spent many hours of quality time together on my Lido 14..... many small boats before I acquired one that I could spend the night on.

You don't have to give up sailing just because there are more important priorities in you life than maintaining a medium size coastal cruiser in a marina. We all face that choice, but sailing is sailing..... the truth is....... downsizing to a small, inexpensive, easily maintained daysailor will probaby improve your sailing skills.

Another exciting option is to hook up on a racing crew. There are crew lists at every yacht club.... go visit one and ask. When I was crewing beer cans on a Cal 29 we were aways looking for crew, especially for the longer/overnight races. I crewed once on a New York 35 in a massive one day regatta called the "Hot Rum". I worked the pit, but besides the 5 or 6 other experienced crew there were 6 or 8 guests to act as "rail meat".... it was crowded but so much fun. The skipper was so happy with the number of people who showed up because when the wind piped up and he yelled out "EVERYONE on the RAIL!!" the boat actually straightened up with the 10 bodies sitting on the gunnel with their feet hanging over the side.... what a blast.

So, my brother, it's not the end of your sailing life.... it's just a transition. Embrace it.

Attachments

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
if your going to start a family you are only a few years away of having one of the best pastimes a young family would enjoy and create tremendous bonding

...that's sailing
This is the reason I got our boat.
We got smacked in the face when a doctor said "it looks like cancer!" He was referring to our 2 year old daughter!
My wife and I grew up with power boats and love the water. I want to give this experience to my daughter. I want to make memories that will last a lifetime!

Squeaky beat the cancer! Today she told her mom she loves being at the yacht club. (it's in a conservation area)
By far my sailboat is the BEST purchase I have ever made. It does bring family together in awe of simple things.

Attachments

Jun 14, 2004
Hunter 260 Portland, OR
Douglast is exactly right. I stopped sailing when our first was born. The yen went dormant until about 20 years later when our kids were in college and high school. We got a boat and taught them how to sail. Turned into an incredible bonding experience, with high adventure as we chartered and sailed in great places. Also build a great sense of confidence in them as they realized they were capable of handling a boat in multiple conditions. Believe me, it'll be here before you know it.

May 23, 2004
This hasn't been an easy decision.

Here are some of my facts:
I love to cruise my sailboat. I really don't like day sailing. Having a destination is what I enjoy, even if I am not sure what that destination is. I don't mean to come off as snobby, but that is just what I enjoy. I grew up daysailing and racing, but now what I enjoy most is the cruises and staying out for a while.

The boat is a financial thing. It is the expense of keeping her up. I have been keeping her up on bare bones budget for a few years. If I was to blow out a sail it would cause huge problems. I don't know where I would get the money for a new sail. Some of my equipment will need replacing in the future and I hate worrying about the what ifs if I can't afford them.

This is not an easy decision and I am really struggling with this one. I am trying to do what is right for my wife and myself.

Honestly, this really stings. In some ways it is like giving up on a dream.

Jul 18, 2009
marine clipper 21 ft santa ana Southern Lakes,Yukon
well our little 21 ft has kept my wife and I happily out for up to three days and two nights on the water several times...

but bottom line is we must walk in your shoes to fully understand and just really wish you health, happiness and prosperity and a quick return to the waters if you do step out for a bit..

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't say you're giving up on a dream.... just putting it on hold while you take care of what's important and that's the family.

You must be younger to be just starting a family. I didn't buy my first boat until I was in my late 40's and the kids were much older. You still have lots of time to get back on a boat.

Don't let it be a major stress. It's not worth it and you'll grow to hate it.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Hang in there Matt, it will all work out... Get the house, have a couple of kids. When they get about 7-8 buy another boat and make them crew.... It will be worth the wait...

Good Luck... - Hi Jackie

May 23, 2004
Thanks Jim......
maybe I will hit you up for some cruising sometime. I have heard that I can be a valuable crew member. I have a few years before the mast in anything from a Lazer to large racing boats to medium size hard core cruisers.

I have friends with boats, thank God. I am sure that some of them will we willing to take on a crew member in exchange for some assistance in maintenance. I can do small amounts of canvas work, electrical, some mechanical, some fiberglass, some woodwork, and things like that.

Seriously, it is probably the right thing to do. If I blew out my main tomorrow I couldn't replace it. God forbid the engine went. Dear Lord!

Who ever gets my boat will get one hell of a Catalina 30. She is well outfitted for Chesapeake Bay cruising, well canvassed, and just had all the spring maintenance done, including a new coat of good bottom paint. If I was getting her ready for myself then I probably did a damn good job. Lucky person who finds her.

I will probably take one more trip on her into the Chesapeake Bay in May. I have some time off, a few weeks, and I will probably put her up when I get back.

"Some folks see a birds eye view
Others haven't got a clue
Some will go and some will stay
It doesn't matter anyway

They are changing channels
Crazy girls and boys
They'll be changing channels
Changing toys"--Jimmy Buffett "Changing Channels"

May 23, 2004
Wife isn't into the sailing. I have tried a lot of stuff.

She promised that we will get another boat in the future when we are more established. She said that it kills her that I have to get rid of it but it is a financial strain.

Zephyr

Jun 3, 2011
Pearson 30 Chicago
You should look into using the boat as leverage. IRS laws on on borrowing against a yacht is similar to a home. It seems you should be able to use that to your advantage in some way. Unless it is the cost of owning that is the problem

May 23, 2004
Worried about the cost of owning being a problem. I don't have to funds if something big happens.

The money from the sale would give me good money for a down payment for a house.

It is a crappy situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.