Mast Raising Systems

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Hello All,

In a recent thread, the usual discussion of the various methods for raising the mast on a Catalina 22 came up.

At the suggestion of member "w4swk" I have started a thread specifically for discussion of mast raising systems that people use.

If you use a mast raising method, other than sheer muscle power, please post the info here.

A) What method do you use on your Catalina 22 ?
B) Can you do it alone with that method ?
C) Could you do it when the boat was on the water ?
D) What Pros and Cons do think it has ?

-------

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I'm using a gin pole. I've only raised and lowered the mast 3-4 times in the front yard. I'll let you know how how it goes in the parking lot at the lake. I'm able to raise and lower it by myself. Total cost is $35-40 with $22 of that the winch from harbor freight. This is the only pic I have handy. If anyone would like a close up let me know. Russ

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
We have a MK-II version, and the factory came up with a genious mast raising system. No tools required, baby stays attach in a second, gin pole gives it plenty of leverage, and the cam cleat on the block allow you to safely stop at any position if something hangs up. It's not the cheapest system, but it's hands down the best in my opinion. After a shoulder injury almost two years ago, I was able to raise and lower the mast with only one arm, it's that easy to install and use. It's properly engineered by the factory so you know it's safe. We trailer our boat extensively, and if I drop the mast due to a homemade mast raising system failure, and we're a thousand or more miles from home, guess what, the vacation is over.... :cussing:

Don

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Russ do you have baby stays? My only worry is the mast going sideways this is why I use my method this way I have a hand on the mast for that moment. Plus the time to set up a gin pole. I may use some other system but for now I will stick to "muscle" and spinnaker halyard.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
I don't have baby stays, I only used it a few times but going up was no problem. Going down is a little tricky but I was able to "steer" the mast down straight with one hand on the mast and one on the winch handle.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Don: So the factory setup is basically a gin pole system that uses a block system with a cleat instead of a winch ?
Does anything keep the mast stable from moving sideways ?
How does the plate on the end of gin pole attach to the mast ?

Aug 11, 2011
catalina 22 Islamorada
Everyone loves their system cause it works for them and I love mine. I'll admit that muscle power if your capable is WAY faster than any system. And I used to use that system. 7 back surgeries later I like easy and keeps me sailing.

I've posted pictures of my system before it did cost me a few hundred dollars so it isn't as inexpensive as others but I can solo my mast up with no more than 1 hand on the mast to steady and another on my remote. I also love being able to stop 3/4 way up and adjust lines and such if needed for any amount of time.

I also leave my roller furling and head sail attached during the process so I don't have to mess with that.

I can NOT however use it while the boat is in the water.
It IS probably I'm guessing a more expensive option but easy was more of a concern for myself.
You WILL need to engineer a bit to adopt to your trailer and either be proficient with a welder or know someone that is.

Anyway here it is.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Allen-deckard: Great post ! Informative and with photos. :)

I am considering a similar system.
I like the ability to use a remote for the winch. That would allow me to hand stabilize the mast without having to deal with a winch crank. As you say though, it's not usable on the water.

Since I have already made a steel ladder for access to the bow of the trailer, which is mounted like the square tube for your winch roller. It would be simple to add a roller to the top of it.
As for the winch cost, there's a 2,000 lb 12volt boat winch available locally for $15.
http://www.tooltown.ca/12V-2000lb-Power-Winch.html

I'll pay $30 for a hand winch for a gin pole. LOL
So your option isn't so expensive. ;) Go figure.

------
I'd still like a system where I can do it on the water and it takes up little room.
Something like Don's oem setup with a pole made of nesting square aluminum tube with locking pins would be the way to go for that. With the right block ratio it would be easy to hoist the mast.

James has some plan for use on his boat during his trip on the great loop. Not which method it is, but he said it could be used on the water and had a way to stabilize the mast.

Nov 19, 2008
Don: So the factory setup is basically a gin pole system that uses a block system with a cleat instead of a winch ?
Does anything keep the mast stable from moving sideways ?
How does the plate on the end of gin pole attach to the mast ?
Yes, just a couple fiddle blocks, one with a cleat so you can stop at any point to clear a snag. Baby-stays have a "T" fitting on one end, and pelican hooks on the other. The "T" fitting slide into the mast,(90 degree turn and they are secure), and the pelican hooks attach to the top of the turning blocks on the cabin top for the halyards routed aft. The gin pole simply slides into a hole in the base of the mast. It's so simple, quick, and easy, I'm going to modify the mast on our "new design" C-22 to accept the same method. By the way, all the MK-II mast came from the factory already set-up for the factory system.

And if you tie a little section of 1/4" line through the lower rear lowers and side stay turnbuckle toggles, you won't bend them. :dance:

Don

Attachments

Last edited:

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
I am enclosing a couple of pics of my gin pole. It's important to note that the I struggled with the strength of a 2x4 until my son sat me down and drew lines, angles, and triangles and explained that the "bending" pressure is only between the 2 eybolts (which is a span of about 2 inches. The remainder of the pressure is in compression. Also note that I sandwiched 2 layers along the "foot" of the pole to provide a larger contact area with the mast. All wood to wood is glued (gorilla glue)and screwed.

I think that with the addition of a bridle, the gin pole could be used while the boat is in the water. The beauty of the gin pole (and other methods) is that there is absolutely no rush in raising or lowering! As mentioned in another post, this "mast raising" stuff was easier 30 years ago!:eek:

Ken

Attachments

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Very informative and the pics really help, too. Well done guys.

I use a similar 2x4 that connect to the jib halyard on top and the trailer winch on bottom. I attach the wood to the mast via a 4 bolt/wing nut clamp, using a rolled piece of carpet to protect the mast. I'm always looking for a more efficient gin pole-mast connection though. I'm reluctant to drill into the mast, but I like the shaped pieces of wood from your (W4swk) pics.

Attachments

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
What a GREAT idea...comments like this make these forums priceless!:thumbup:

Thanks Don!

And if you tie a little section of 1/4" line through the lower rear lowers and side stay turnbuckle toggles, you won't bend them. :dance:

Don

Apr 26, 2010
Captdon, thank you I have been trying to come up with a way not to bend the turnbuckles great idea .

Apr 26, 2010
Don, do you leave those pieces of rope in the turnbuckles or just put them in for mast raising?

Nov 19, 2008
Don, do you leave those pieces of rope in the turnbuckles or just put them in for mast raising?
Depends on how long I'm going to leave the boat in the water. If for, say the weekend, I'll just leave them installed, they don't hurt anything, or get in the way. They are easier to install when the boat is rigged, so I make sure they are installed before I break the boat down. Just another thing I don't have to do the next time I rig her.

By the way, I had an article in the MainBrace on this issue. Just another reason for becoming a member of the National C-22 Association. You'll be able to download all the previous issues of the mainBrace, and download your own PDF copy of the Tech Manual, and the updates. Over 400 pages of maintenance and repair methods and ideas, rigging, tuning, just a GREAT collection from over 40 years the associations has been around.

Don

Apr 26, 2010
I didn't video my stepping this past sunday as I do not use a gin pole just my shoulder and my spinnaker halyard. But took me 3 minutes from mast support to full up with forestay attached. Un till I become unable to do so this is my way.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I didn't video my stepping this past sunday as I do not use a gin pole just my shoulder and my spinnaker halyard. But took me 3 minutes from mast support to full up with forestay attached. Un till I become unable to do so this is my way.
I'm trying to visualize how you are doing it.
So you pull the halyard with both hands and simply rest the mast on your shoulder and walk forwards. What happens when you climb on the cabin top ?

Apr 26, 2010
I start on the cabin top, lift the mast with one arm rest it on my shoulder then pull the halyard with both hands but it is very easy with the halyard. there is a video on youtube of a much older man doing it this way. When I get the mast straight up I cleat off the halyard then go forward the attach the forestay. From stopping the truck at the ramp to backing in the water is about 15 to 20 minutes.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Ok. I've been working on improving my gin pole, at least where it hugs the mast. I don't think I'll change from using the trailer winch, though, as right now it a 2-person process. In short, i just like working with my wife on setting up the boat. I think she likes being involved.

The only question I have is how secure the baby stays will be if connected to the main halyard with a wrap around line to keep them close to the mast. Hard to explain, but I think I saw someone else's post that used a similar baby stay setup. Any opinions?