mast raising pole attachment

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
can anyone affirm that the pole simply inserts into a one inch hole
drilled into the mast?
It looks like, from researching other posts, that my gin pole should attach to a stainless bracket in front of the mast. my boat is a '98 and Hunter was scrambling because of Z-Spar leaving. Masts were assembled from Z-Spar, Dwyer, and Charleston Spar, some with parts from multiple vendors. I will modify my Z-Spar pole when it comes to use the hinge bracket in front of the mast. In the meantime I will make one from a 2x4 in order to get the mast up. Thanks for all the input. You guys are invaluable.
Update
The mast raising pole arrived to day. It is beautiful but it has a bow in it. I may use the wooden one I made instead this one. I assumed that for $210 it would ship in a wooden box to prevent bending. Very sad. It may be stiff enough to use regardless.

I took a 1" brass plumbing fitting (solder to thread adapter) and drilled the tread end cross ways with a 3/8" drill. I suspended it between the mast raising brackets with a 3/8" bolt and pushed the mast raising pole end into it. We had no problems raising the mast. I will save the parts.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Not on all 240's or 260's. Both my 1998 240 and now my 1998 260 use a different mast base that has 2 vertical "tabs" on the front with holes. No hole in the mast. The mast raising pole on this style attaches to the tabs with a pin that goes though a hole in the base of the pole, and rotates on that. There is a picture of the type I have in this thread: Mast Plate | Sailboat Owners Forums

Jun 12, 2021
Hunter 240 Aqualand Marina, Lake Lanier
Not on all 240's or 260's. Both my 1998 240 and now my 1998 260 use a different mast base that has 2 vertical "tabs" on the front with holes. No hole in the mast. The mast raising pole on this style attaches to the tabs with a pin that goes though a hole in the base of the pole, and rotates on that. There is a picture of the type I have in this thread: Mast Plate | Sailboat Owners Forums
I have a mast raising pole on order. if it doesn't have a hole in it I will drill one. thanks. I have fabricated a pole from wood. It is a framing stud cut 1 1/2 x 3 inches. I have ring attachments on one end and an eye screw on the other to attach to the deck bracket on the front of the mast base.

Last edited: