Mast Climbing

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm a 35-year climber and have no problem with single line climbing, but...
I know a fellow that cratered because the head pulley broke, dropping the halyard on a sharp edge and cutting it through.

The problems is that you DON"T know the quality of the gear until you get up there. It's not like climbing gear that is inspected with every use and stored out of the sun.

Not sayin' you can't climb a single line, just sayin' you're guessing and the the folks using a safety line have reasons.

Feb 22, 2004
Hunter H340 Michigan City
Absolutely I use a separate safety harness and line that my first mate manages from the deck. I would not go aloft with the safety harness.

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
Thij water is repeating Just the point I was trying to suggest. If you haven't verified mast condition, sheaves, and shackles. why would/should anyone go up?
If you don't feel confident about one halyard or two, you need to verify. I'm also from an old climbing family. the big rule driven onto my head was, " don't climb higher than your willing to fall".

Afraid of what equipment to use? Verify what's safe on your boat before you go. Once you have done that, enjoy the view.