Mast Climbing

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
why not just get some young guy to go up the mast and fix whatever is wrong and you tail the safety line for him

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Mast Mate set free (no slugs--just tension tightly).
Either Cinch of Gri-Gri on a safety line. Sides up as I climb without attention.

To descend I either rap off a separate line (I always have a spare line rigged loose at the top for hauling up stuff, like my tool bag) or work the Gri-Gri down about 3 feet at a time. It goes fast.

The exact hardware depends on the lines and what fits. The haul line is climbing rope. Full body harnesses are only for people with no waist, which is why OSHA has to spec it that way... in which case you really should stay on deck.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Full body harnesses are only for people with no waist, which is why OSHA has to spec it that way... in which case you really should stay on deck.
...................... or risk going through the deck on the way down :yikes: !

Jan 4, 2006
The exact hardware depends on the lines and what fits.
Thanks again to EACH and EVERYONE who replied to my original post. Every post has given me some new and different insight as to the best way to approach climbing the mast on my boat. I will post (with the usual number of pics) whatever seems to fit best for my setup. I have the workshop to build whatever it's going to be, with a factor of safety of at least a few dozen. And even if it does disintegrate into little pieces at the top of the mast because it gets hit by a bolt of lightning, I know my independent safety line and body harness is going to save my a$$.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
...................... or risk going through the deck on the way down :yikes: !
I once had an argument with the personnel department when I restricted people over 310 pounds from climbing in certain areas because the tethers and jacklines were designed to that limit. Their (weak ass) argument was that we should provide accommodation. My argument was that it did not affect job assignments and that it was safer and better for everybody to respect who people were and to let the little guys climb and the big guys move the heavy stuff. It made sense to the guys.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
why not just get some young guy to go up the mast and fix whatever is wrong and you tail the safety line for him
This will be my approach for sure. I will probably buy a Mast Mate with the harness and hire some young monkey to climb up. With having occasional bouts of vertigo, I won't even climb a 20 foot extension ladder at my house. Climbing a 38' mast while rocking on the water will surely send me to my death.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
If you supply the climbing gear and direct the work you assume liability for injury to that young guy. Just bite the bullet and hire a rigging pro to show up with her gear and skill set and have her do the work.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
So what do you reck'n a pro rigger would charge to use his own climbing equipment and change a masthead anchor light bulb?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
So what do you reck'n a pro rigger would charge to use his own climbing equipment and change a masthead anchor light bulb?
I would work with the rigger to find and replace that anchor light with one of the improved, sealed LED lamps so that you never have to pay to have it done again. The fixture will cost you about $100 ($0.10 Boat Bucks) and the rigger will charge you mob and time/materials, $100/HR in Annapolis.

Jan 4, 2006
Just bite the bullet and hire a rigging pro to show up with her gear and skill set and have her do the work.
Might as well make it a pretty one, in shorts, and get a show as well for your money.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Like you, I would like to be able to climb the stick with no help....but short of adding mast steps, I don't think I can. Have not tried ascenders, but I think is harder than it looks.
It is not that difficult. I cannot say it is overly quick, but anyone who can crouch or get up from laying down, can do it.

mdz

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
Use
That is my biggest curiosity as to how you can keep the safety line snug without someone continuously taking up the slack as you ascend.
Use the 3rd ascender on the second line. If your first line fails, you would be sliding down 10-20 cm. If you carry a light bulb, it may break, but you shouldn't.

mdz

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
One line climbing is safe if you know what you are doing
When you are climbing (i.e. in the mountains), you accept the risk of using a single line. As you do e.g. sailing off-shore (where you cannot count on specific weather). When you work (e.g. climb the mast to make some repairs), there is no need to accept that risk. Hence the second line for safety. Especially, that it is easily accomplished (3rd ascender on 2nd line or a 2nd person on 2nd line and the winch).

mdz

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
With all the expensive equipment required, and my age issues, I felt it best to hire a monkey. Sold the maste mate. Would prefer a monkette but they don't exist for some reason.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Trust your gear... One line climbing is safe if you know what you are doing.
My concern over this is that I can't inspect every inch of the line I am going to trust my life to as a large part of it is inside my mast. I also can't see the sheave that it runs over, and don't often take apart the various blocks that it runs through to get back to the helm...so, in short, I don't necessarily trust my gear. Hence a safety line of some sort is in order...

Greg

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
Line safety.

Had the same concerns. I tie a bowline in my safety line, shackle to the Jib halyard and the spinnaker halyard to raise above the deck before attaching my ascender. I've inspected the safety line, it's double hung from the mast. If you believe either halyard may not hold half your weight, why would you use them to raise your sails?

At the end of the day, jerking the mast to rewire and replace a bulb isn't all that expensive. You always have the backup to jerk the mast and inspect ail components before attempting your fist ascent via bosuns chair.

Good luck, enjoy the view when you get up top.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I pretty much made my own home made copy of the ATN climber and use the topping lift on my Selden Inmast furling and use my spinnaker halyard as safety backup.
I have gone up a few times to change my anchor light to Led.
Nick

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="Head Sail,... Would prefer a monkette but they don't exist for some reason.[/QUOTE]
In my condo developement there was a middle-age lady. Weighed 90 pounds if she carried her purse. A sailor, she was the go-to person to haul up the mast. She thought about starting a company called "Up Yours". Kinda catchy, eh?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
If you are so concerned about the safety of a 6,000 static climbing line that you want a safety line I would suggest that you not then rely on a halyard shackle and a bowline loop, and instead join your ropes with a proper climbing knot.