Main sheet twist

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
This is my main sheet. How would I keep this from twisting around itself? I have taken the line out of the blocks and re threaded after laying it out flat. Line is sta set X. This is not the original traveler setup. Some PO moved the traveler from the bridge deck to cabin top. I have wanted to move it back, however the admiral countermanded me. If it is on the bridge deck, the dodger would be severely compromised..
03F518AF-5ED4-4E11-B4F1-BCC8C0D93CBD.jpeg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Looks like that block on the upper right is rotating on you. There could/should be a little slide piece to lock the block in a fore and aft alignment. If it does not, you need to get one.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
That block does rotate 360 By design. I cannot seem to locate one in the right direction Without swiveling. I have never heard of locking a swiveling block in one orientation.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
That looks like a Schaefer block, contact Joy and ask if there is a solution. I had a block doing the same and found some blocks didn’t swivel. I remember washing the line and running it differently through the blocks and cured the problem.

Try from the traveler to the aft block, back to the traveler and up to the mid block, then back to the traveler and on to the fore block.

BTW is that smoke in the background?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Would the twist be corrected by changing the threading of the block on the traveler? Try to thread the line differently by switching the side (port or starboard) that the lines go through now.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The mainsheet has probably developed a natural twist in it over time, much of it induced during coiling and uncoiling. One way we used to eliminate it on small boats was to let the mainsheet drag behind the boat for a few minutes. Also we would switch the mainsheet end for end occasionally.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I remember washing the line and running it differently through the blocks and cured the problem.

BTW is that smoke in the background?
Purple Haze, All.
Don't know your line size, but to give you an idea, this is on SBO chandlery. Schaefer Marine 60 mm 7 Series Block - Aluminum Sheave This one changes by a set screw, while others have a slide switch. BUT, come to think of it, If you can find a block that does not even swivel, you'll save money since you really do not need the swivel. Also, once a year if you strip the boat for layup, launder the lines and reverse them, end for end.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mark, good advice here.
The blocks should never rotate, not a single one. In the old C34s, like mine, they didn't "get" the problem until after the first few years. My PO used thin string wrapped around the swivel on the block to keep them straight. I've since replaced the blocks.
Stay Set X is absolutely the wrong line to use there, because who is worried about stretch on a sheet? Besides, SS-X simply sucks in all other regards. Whether you use Jack's idea, or just use Sta Set regular or some other Samson line, the stiffer X isn't helping and could be developing its own memory, "like a rock." :)

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Having lived with a traveler on the bridge deck for more than 15 years, I also thought it was good … when sailing alone. My wife hated it. Now we have a traveler in front of the dodger. My wife couldn't be happier. It's your life, your wife, your choice! ;) I know which is making sailing better for me (now)!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Having lived with a traveler on the bridge deck for more than 15 years, I also thought it was good … when sailing alone. My wife hated it. Now we have a traveler in front of the dodger. My wife couldn't be happier. It's your life, your wife, your choice! ;) I know which is making sailing better for me (now)!
I read it as permission to buy a new boat.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I can see where I think the block needs to swivel. Will play around with it at the dock. Perhaps some salsa is in order. I lied bout the rope type. It is only sta set...and YES that is smoke in the background. 1/2 mile visibility. Sometimes less. Sailing by plotter, AIS, and radar...Supposed to be getting some rain end of week.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark, If you get any extra rain please please please send a bit south... We are coughing down here.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to join up in the San Juan's. Maybe next time.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We had that problem with our main sheet, too. Took it out and trailed it behind the boat under power for 15 or 20 minutes and the line relaxed and never did it again. I've had other lines that required a couple of these operations, but unless it is just too old, braided line should relax being towed.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I have a block in that location on my C30. It doesn't need to swivel, just swing a bit side to side. Locking the swivel will work. Garhauer blocks can be locked so they don't swivel.
My problem was the line was over wrapping on the lower block when it was slack. Locking the block in the fore aft position solved the issue.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Could you please explain why?
My fixed blocks are all on bails on the boom.
Sorry Stu. I wasn't clear. The bail provides a swivel. Mine is set up like that too I didn't see why the block couldn't swivel as well. I see that much less strain on the block if it could.

Last edited: