Main sheet twist

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Mainsheet position is a direct tradeoff between performance and convenience. The farther forward, the more convenient. The farther aft, more performance. You can of course make anything work, but you're not changing the underlying rule.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Nailed it, Jack. Short and to the point.

BTW, anyone else here ever ponder the leading of the sheet thru a a 6 part Harken set of blocks.... and have to finally look at their diagram on-line to get the end of the sheet to come out the the correct sheave??
:)
Yeah, it's probably just me....

Attachments

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
My Traveler is on Bimini top and Mainsheet do ocassional gets twisted as shown by Mark M. Not really an issue. Just untwist it if it becomes a restriction to sheeting. Not a problem.

Ken Y

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
So as far as the line construction goes, was the core braided or straight line fibers? Was the end cut fused together with heat? Had you ever washed the line? My thinking is that the braided line was supposed to be better than three-strand to reduce twisting.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I ditto the recommendation to switch to New England Salsa, its a soft line, easy on the hand and impossible to kink or twist. Plus having a Dyneema base, you can downsize to 3/8" width which greatly reduces the friction in the block system.

Salsa is discussed here

Feb 22, 2015
Catalina 30 Redondo Beach
I too have a C30 that for years twisted. Spent many a quality hour untwisting it. Then an old salt pointed out the block's set screw. That was 6 years ago, no more twisting. Block slides on the bail relieving strain.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
looked into salsa and it‘s a little pricey. My main sheet is 75’ long. And I’m not sure I would want 3/8 line. Seems kind of small in the hand for size of boat. 3/8 is largest available for salsa. There are other “high tech” ropes that are also pricey. I tried another tact with the admiral on moving the traveler back where it should be. Didn’t get very far there. So, I emailed Samson with some questions, criteria, boat usage. Their reply was within a day and they highly recommended XLS 3. I use this for the Genoa sheets and really like it. XLS is where I’m leaning right now. Kudos to Samson for quick response at 10:00 pm last night. We are on same time zone.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I made my own line using 3/8 dyneema 12 strand and then where my hands pull on the line, I used the outer jacket of an old double braid line. I just had to fish the dyneema inside.