Main sheet twist

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Ron had it right. Lock the block. This is a COMMON problem and COMMON rigging error.

No, it does NOT need to swivel to allow for motion. A shackle or two will allow enough movement. Yes, many brands of swivels blocks have locking mechanisms built in for this reason. You may also be able to do this with rigging wire or cable ties.

No, there is probably nothing wrong with the line, although it is possible a winch is adding turns. Lock the bock first, THEN see if the problem persists.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
That block does rotate 360 By design. I cannot seem to locate one in the right direction Without swiveling. I have never heard of locking a swiveling block in one orientation.
Take a closer look at the head of the block. There should be a method to lock it's orientation or allow free swivel. Here's an excerpt I found in Schaeffer catalogue... may not be yours, but is an example of what you may need to do. Harken and Ronstan use a different method for this depending on block size. Perhaps a blow up of the blocks head will give us a clue.

Three way Swivel head rotates 360°, or can be locked in place with the simple set screw adjustment. See page 13 for our 5 Series Universal Adapters increasing the ability to use your block where you need it.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Went to the boat today. Stopped in at West Marine and looked at blocks. Some had locking mechanisms. I learned something today. Went to the boat and looked at the block hanging off the bail on the boom. I noticed a small allen hex head inside a small hole. Turned the block in the right direction and tightened up the hex bolt and it tightened up. This an old block so we’ll see how long it works. I know what to do if it fails. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
Very easy. Replace the Sta Set X. The line was a disaster from New England Ropes and is no longer available. The problem with the line is it had an induced twist in it so if you coil it in the traditional sense rather then fake it, you are inducing more twist. I replaced my halyards with it years ago and it lasted three years on my boat before I had enough

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I would echo the sentiment to replace the line type.
But also, if you can resolve the dodger problem, discuss this with your spouse again, tactfully. Bridge deck travelers have so many advantages over the housetop versions, which evolved to help sell sailboats inside large buildings in January... to the less-enthused member of the household who objected to all those "ropey things" in their way when relaxing in the cockpit. :)
I used to work boat shows and do understand the problem and the "solution".
We have found, over the decades, that most visitors really like the mainsheet adjacent to the companionway because a loaded-up mainsheet is a great handhold when going in and out of the cabin. The line is comfortable to grip and easy on the hands.
Especially in fresh air when the boat is heeling.

Different situation if the boat is used only for dockside living or sailing is done only when wind is under 8 kts.
And do... consider replacing that line.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Locking the swivel will help with your problem, but there’s still the fact that you’re getting twist in your line.
Consider pulling the line out completely and working out the all the twist, which you can easily see with StaSet.
A couple of people suggested trailing the line behind the boat, which I think is a really good idea.
Then flake the line in figure-8s, rather than coiling it, so it will feed into your blocks without twist.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Locking the swivel will help with your problem, but there’s still the fact that you’re getting twist in your line.
Consider pulling the line out completely and working out the all the twist, which you can easily see with StaSet.
A couple of people suggested trailing the line behind the boat, which I think is a really good idea.
Then flake the line in figure-8s, rather than coiling it, so it will feed into your blocks without twist.
Exactly. Locking the swivel treats the symptom, not the "disease"

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I’ve pulled it out and did the twist treatment. Have not towed it though. I do not twist when coiling. The coils end up in figure eights..
I've never seen this problem but I read that Practical Sailor article. It may end up that locking the swivel takes care of it, but there's still the question of "why". Do what ya gotta do and go sailing!

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I would echo the sentiment to replace the line type.
But also, if you can resolve the dodger problem, discuss this with your spouse again, tactfully. Bridge deck travelers have so many advantages over the housetop versions, which evolved to help sell sailboats inside large buildings in January... to the less-enthused member of the household who objected to all those "ropey things" in their way when relaxing in the cockpit. :)
I used to work boat shows and do understand the problem and the "solution".
We have found, over the decades, that most visitors really like the mainsheet adjacent to the companionway because a loaded-up mainsheet is a great handhold when going in and out of the cabin. The line is comfortable to grip and easy on the hands.
Especially in fresh air when the boat is heeling.

Different situation if the boat is used only for dockside living or sailing is done only when wind is under 8 kts.
And do... consider replacing that line.
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt. Shirt now waxes boats..

• Ha
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Shirt now waxes boats..
All by itself, I'll bet!

I have enjoyed my cabintop traveler, because I refuse to be "a slave behind the wheel" and operate my boat from in front of the wheel, which makes using the traveler a piece of cake, with no need to relocate it to the cockpit, where I think it would be in the way. I have great handholds up & down.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mark, I feel your pain when the mainsheet works against you. Perhaps the fiddle block is not enough.

In 2015, when I purchased Hadley, she came with a Shaefer 2 sheave cascading fiddle block on the boom and a single sheave cam-cleat block on bridge deck traveler. Mainsheet was about 1/2" braid. Ok for gentle breezes but a lot of work as a solo sailor to manage in a stiff wind.
DAB70143-8085-415E-B733-8C661C02C9ED.jpeg 7CF29179-0408-4DE4-A81E-3702D5837C8D_4_5005_c.jpeg

While sitting in the cockpit one evening, a boat pulled into the slip next to me. The skipper was a bit out of sorts. He had been out in a light evening breeze and the "heavy tackle" on his main sheet was annoying him. "I just cannot get the boom to open up with this mainsheet rig." Listening to this rant, I asked, what's the problem. He was unhappy with his mainsheet (too heavy) and the blocks (too many sheaves). He had recently bought his boat from an owner who was planning an ocean voyage. Evidently the owner had upgraded the line and rigging to deal with the winds on the ocean. Not the rigging that the new owner wanted.

I told him I had the opposite problem. With out a pause, he said "Give me your rig, the line and $50. We will swap." Looking at the block on his rig, I asked. You sure. His reply, "Never been more certain."

I removed the rig, found the bills & change in the boat. Suddenly I was the happy owner of a rig that meets my needs.
IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1653.JPG
2 three sheave Harken blocks and cam-cleat, and 5/8ths sheet with enough line to put the boom on the shrouds. Sure the line is a bit heavy and there 3 block rig requires a lot of line, but the hand feel is fabulous, and I can easily control the sheet with one hand, as recently proven in 30 kt gusts. A sweet deal. When I installed the rig on my boat I saw that the lines had not been lead through the block properly. The lines were crossing, adding friction to the system, making it difficult to let line out or draw it in. I rejigged the blocks correctly and now they run smooth as silk. Also helps to occasionally rinse the blocks and carefully add a bit of lube to the bearings.

Having the right line for the job, and blocks that ease your work load is critical to making the sailing experience safe and fun.