macgregor 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I think the biggest thing the 26M and X do is open up so many more launching areas for people. I wish I could launch my boats in the minimum depths they can, and not have to back my trailer so far into a ramp. I think it is awesome how many places they can launch.

That said, I really like my boat, and I am happy that others love their boats too. Getting out on the water is what it's all about and if you are doing it and enjoying it, more power to you!
One other difference is that those of us that have a Mac S or D can launch in the same skinny water, but top speed for us is maybe 6 knots. No problem for Ruth and I as we are retired and take long multi-day/week trips. I can see that for some of you that are paying for our Soc. Sec. (thanks :)) and still have to work that the X and M have a real benefit with the "big outboards". They can put in at a ramp on Friday night and in an hour be 10-20 miles from it and anchor at a remote area, sail all day Saturday and part of Sunday and then late in the day run back to the ramp at 10-20 mph and load up and go home.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
I haven't got the money for a new boat but I am intrigued by the Seward 26. The near fully retracktable bulb keel gives access to thin water and it's roomy and trailerable. Th "shippy" look isn't my favorite (you can't beat a Hanse for looks) but it has clean lines. I don't know what your budget is but it might be worth a glance.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
I am interested in that boat too. Seems like alot of the advantages of the 26s or d but nicer and hardier...they are alot more expensive though. Also looking at some corsairs.

jwa

Jan 31, 2010
Balboa Balboa 20 #123 backyard
The Seaward 26rk and 32rk are beautiful boats, but are not cheap. The 26 fully loaded would be the perfect trailerable boat if you wouldn't miss 80k. When I retire I might pick up a used 26rk. Until then I'm waiting for the lottery to come in. Check out the web site: http://www.seawardyachts.com/
jeff

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
The Seaward 26rk and 32rk are beautiful boats, but are not cheap. ........Check out the web site: http://www.seawardyachts.com/.........jeff
They are very nice and I like the way the keel works. I wasn't able to actually find out what the 26 weighs. Ballast weight yes, but not total weight with the trailer, no. With a 8-4 beam they look to be max. width for towing without permits in most states. The 32 looks like it is too wide to tow without permits.

Also of interest all other boats like the Macs state there length as just slightly longer than their true overall length. With the 26RK if I remember right it actually has an overall length of around 28 feet. It seems that over 26 feet has bearing on insurance options and other things. In Florida now if it is over 26 they can classify you as a houseboat and then you have to meet a lot of sanitation requirements that aren't required if you are under 26 feet.

I wonder how much and how many of these boats are trailered by their owners and how far. I don't mind trailering, but once you get over a combined weight of 5000 lbs. or so for boat/trailer I would like to have a heavier diesel pickup if I was going any distance. I would think the 26Rk and trailer is under that, but it is a big boat.

I've noticed with the Macs I see a lot more X and M's in slips than S and D's. I wonder if that has something to do with the S and D's being lighter and easier to tow or if the X and M owners have more money and can afford slip fees vs. us poor S and D owners :);).

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Might be due the S/D's having better sailing characteristics, so their owners are actually out sailing instead of in their slips. :)

They are very nice and I like the way the keel works. I wasn't able to actually find out what the 26 weighs. Ballast weight yes, but not total weight with the trailer, no. With a 8-4 beam they look to be max. width for towing without permits in most states. The 32 looks like it is too wide to tow without permits.

Also of interest all other boats like the Macs state there length as just slightly longer than their true overall length. With the 26RK if I remember right it actually has an overall length of around 28 feet. It seems that over 26 feet has bearing on insurance options and other things. In Florida now if it is over 26 they can classify you as a houseboat and then you have to meet a lot of sanitation requirements that aren't required if you are under 26 feet.

I wonder how much and how many of these boats are trailered by their owners and how far. I don't mind trailering, but once you get over a combined weight of 5000 lbs. or so for boat/trailer I would like to have a heavier diesel pickup if I was going any distance. I would think the 26Rk and trailer is under that, but it is a big boat.

I've noticed with the Macs I see a lot more X and M's in slips than S and D's. I wonder if that has something to do with the S and D's being lighter and easier to tow or if the X and M owners have more money and can afford slip fees vs. us poor S and D owners :);).

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
I kind of figured the head was out there in the open (there is a curtain) and know that the enclosed head on the larger Macs is a selling point for some. Obviously ...............

....as anyone can see not a problem for us, but I can see where some people don't want to deal with a head out in the open.
An enclosed was definitely a selling point for us when we considered the Mac. So of course it was as well when we moved over to the Edge. I prefer the head on the Edge because it is full height (about 5'10"), has a window which opens for ventilation, and has a door that swings fully out to open rather than a bi-fold which opens into the head compartment.

We like the V-berth being pretty much separated from the rest of the cabin though.
For the Edge you can get an optional privacy curtain which separates the V berth. Works OK.

More walls mean more places for shelving and storage.
....and yes the lazarette, where would I put all of the stuff that we have in there. It is like a bottomless pit and will really hold a lot of stuff you wouldn't want in the cabin.

As I said before we don't regret getting the Mac one bit and we have looked at a lot of boats since buying it,
The Edge has tons of storage as well.

Unlike Sum I did regret buying the Mac, but have been very happy with the Hunter Edge. Had the brand new Mac arrived under different circumstances (like actually being ready to use and not needing 2 months and $3K to repair everything the factory and dealer screwed up) I'd have probably liked it more. Even at that there are many things I like better about the Edge.

The each his own....

Dr. Beer

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
Pelagic Sailing Club

BTW I haven't checked it out myself, and don't know if it's only local to the Boston area, but wife told me about something called the Pelagic Sailing Club (http://www.pelagicsailingclub.org/)

The idea behind this club is that you can join whether or not you have a boat. For folks with boats they get to connect with people looking to sail so they get company and crew. For folks without boats they get a chance to go sailing. For either group they get the opportunity to sail on different types of boats.

Might be a good thing for folks who are in the market but haven't settled on what kind of boat they want to look into, assuming there is something like this in your area...

Dr. Beer

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
Sandman,

I'm fairly new to the sailing scene but I've looked and learned enough to have an opinion. Keep in mind that opinions are like eye brows . . . everybody has at least one. The Mac 26 is a nice boat and can be a reasonable value. They are fairly trailerable and you couldn't go wrong with one. However, one drawback (if it's the boat that I am thinking about) is the head room. I believe the Mac26 is a pop top. So, sitting room on the water, headroom in the harbor. Your bride might like to be able to go below and make lunch and stand while doing it. In my consortium, I am the sandwich king while she woman's the helm. But, I stand while doing it, and brace myself against the icebox. With a Mac, you'd have the crouch or something. Before you say, "Hey, Don's got a point" check it out and make sure I'm not lying to you. If you plan to slip or moor your boat, I suggest a Catalina 27. I really like the 84-87 models and you can pick one up nicely equipped for around $12,000. If you're trailering, check out a Seward 26. It has a really "shippy" look, but a 16" draft board up. I like my Lancer 25. 6'-0 of head room, 30" draft. We can have the boat in the water in less than 30 minutes. There's a book out there "The Complete Trailer Sailor" by Brian Gilbert. It has 50 or so small boat reviews, specs and descriptions in the rear. It might make sense picking it up or checking it out.

Keep in mind that MOST boat don't come with trailers. SO, if trailering is your thing, make sure the budget allows. Been there! Bought out boat . . . no trailer . . . no truck to pull it . . . never sailed in my life! But, I'm not a complete moron. Everything was considered and thought out before we wrote the first check. Total out of pocket was about $4000. She sailed right out of the box and had been a joy every time, except for the time that we were surfing the waves back to port.

Fair Winds!

Don

Feb 8, 2007
Catalina 36 MKII Pensacola Beach, FL
I've got a Mac 26S that is outfitted fairly nicely that I will be selling soon. My family of 5 has spent a week straight on it many times, now, but the kids are getting a bit big, now, and we want to move up to a bigger boat.

If you're anywhere near birmingham, I'd be happy to show it to you and sail it with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.