macgregor 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2004
- - -
understand and pretty much agree Phil. Though I would think much of the materials, construction methods, and rigging procedures would be close to the same? I did mention that I don't know anything really about the 26M previously in this thread...prob should have mentioned it again.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I have stayed away from this conversation until now, but I have to point out something. A 26M is a totally different boat from a 26S. The prime similarities are that they are boats and they came from the same plant.

The 26S is a sailboat designed to carry a small auxilliary power plant for motoring to and from at displacement speeds only.

The 26M is a hybrid "power-sailer"with lifting strakes, hard chines and a much larger power plant, designed to operate at, (almost?) planing speeds.

One cannot apply experience and impression of either boat and apply it to the other. The rigs are different, the helm is different, the dynamic loads are different, the ballast is different, the hull is different.... keels, rudders, where do I stop??

I will stop short of penning my comments from experience with either boat. I just feel the need to point out that biorapper and drbeer are writing about two completely different boats. I do this just in case someone is reading this in an effort to determine which boat is best for their needs, as per sandman's original post.
To bad more people who often post very opinionated views of MacGregor boats don't realize the differences in the Classics (26S & 26D) vs. the powersailers ( X & M) as you have pointed out. If they did the quality of dialog would be much better while discussing the differences between them and especially the differences between the two Mac types vs. boats of other manufactures.

We have a 26S and love it and bought it over the D and the X for various reasons. It fits us very well, but I can certainly see where the X & M would fit a lot of people over the S or D or other manufactures boats.

We are retired and live a long ways from water. When we go out it is for multiple day trips usually multiple week trips. A lot of people are not retired and live by large bodies of water and I can see where the X and M would really appeal to them. They could put in on Saturday morning. Motor for an hour or two and escape the congestion around a harbor and head to a more secluded area. Sail for the day, stay in the boat over night (lots of room for 4 people), sail some more on Sunday and late in the afternoon motor back to the crowds and take out and be at work Monday morning.

There must be a lot of people in this situation as from what I understand they still can't make M's fast enough for the supply. If you have an X or M would you still get a satisfying sailing experience? I say for most people that have no intention of racing the answer would be yes. With our S that is suppose to be a better "pure" sailboat than an X or M we are usually on a lake by ourselves and haven't a clue if we are faster or slower than someone else. We just know that the motor isn't running, our sails are full and we are moving along and enjoying it.

If you are someone who won't be happy until you get the last 1/2 knot out of your boat and that you can point into the wind 10 degrees further then get something else and pay the slip fees or buy a big enough vehicle to haul your 4000-8000 lb. boat and forget an X or M. If you just want to get out on the water and relax with the wind taking you along do you really care if you are going 5 knots or 6 1/2 knots? Would you buy one car or another because one would go 2 mph faster if your goal was to just get from point A to B?

As I mentioned at the first of this rant we have an S and love it, but I wouldn't recommend one to anyone sailing with more than 2 people unless it was just for the day or the weekend or anyone other than the 2 were pretty small.

One last thing. If I was looking and reading comments from people who have never sailed in a particular boat or maybe even if they have I would throw out the comments that are extreme in one direction or the other. I've known people that have been really polarized about a product or service, usually in a very negative manner. Then you observe that they seem to find fault with everything. Go out to eat with them and they never tip because they always find something wrong with the food or waiter, they get a motel room and usually try and get their money back the next day since there was something screwed up with the room and worst of all they either take someone to court or they are threatening to do so.

Now saying that I've never sailed in an X or M, only looked at them, so disregard all my recommendations for or against them :).

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
I have stayed away from this conversation until now, but I have to point out something. A 26M is a totallly different boat from a 26S. The prime similarities are that they are boats and they came from the same plant.

The 26S is a sailboat designed to carry a small auxilliary power plant for motoring to and from at displacement speeds only.

The 26M is a hybrid "power-sailer"with lifting strakes, hard chines and a much larger power plant, designed to operate at, (almost?) planing speeds.

One cannot apply experience and impression of either boat and apply it to the other. The rigs are different, the helm is different, the dynamic loads are different, the ballast is different, the hull is different.... keels, rudders, where do I stop??

I will stop short of penning my comments from experiece with either boat. I just feel the need to point out that biorapper and drbeer are writing about two completely different boats. I do this just in case someone is reading this in an effort to determine which boat is best for their needs, as per sandman's original post.
For the most part my comments were not meant as a counterpoint to biorapper. The original poster asked for opinions and experience with the MacGregor so I gave him mine.

So my comments only pertain to my experiences with that boat and Phil's point is well made.

However WRT one of biorapper's comments I thought I had previously noted that my wife and I were not new to trailerable sailboats. We'd had a West Wight Potter 19 for many years. We know how to setup a boat so it can be quickly rigged for sailing from the stowed for towing state and vice versa. We had all kinds of things setup to make this speedier and with respect to the 26M had reviewed several check lists posted by people to bring ourselves up to speed wrt differences between the Potter 19 and the 26M.

We also met some other people who had 26Ms. One day we even set ours up in the parking lot at Winter Island right next to someone who'd owned theirs for several years. We got ours done in about 1/2 the time he said it usually takes him.

So I don't have any reason to think our times were poor. Our times however are likely only applicable to the 2008 26M model we owned. There are differences between that model and other 26Ms as well as other MacGregor models that certainly could have an impact on setup times.

Jay H

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
BTW to those chiming in about the 26S, the original poster did ask specifically about the 26X or M and that's what I was addressing.

WRT to not being able to make Ms fast enough, I had heard that they drastically cut back on production of them. Don't know if that's true or not but it was a dealer who I was talking to in spring of this year about brokering mine who told me this.

ttfn

M

Mac Owner

Dr Beer

I felt for you right through the long, drawn out ordeal, Dr Beer.

However, there are a lot more satisfied MacGregor customers than not. And your dealer, who is no longer an Authorized dealer, was definitely one of a kind. I cant help feeling that if you purchased it through a better dealer, you would still have your boat and be very satisfied with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
I felt for you right through the long, drawn out ordeal, Dr Beer.

However, there are a lot more satisfied MacGregor customers than not. And your dealer, who is no longer an Authorized dealer, was definitely one of a kind.
Your userid shows you as a guest user and doesn't have any info about your actual identity. I assume this is by design. Since I don't know who you are I'm not sure how you would even know who I might have purchased the boat from.

In settling the lawsuit with the dealer that sold me my boat I signed an agreement not to publicly mention their name. I did, however, reserve the right to discuss the boat's problems privately with prospective buyers. Perhaps you were one of those people and if so you are under no obligation to keep what we discussed confidential. I, however, can neither confirm nor deny your statement in this forum regarding who the dealer was.

I did just check the website of the dealer I purchased from. It still shows them listing themselves as an authorized dealer. Based on how they treated me I would hope you are correct and they are no longer authorized but if that's the case then they are incorrectly claiming they are.

I cant help feeling that if you purchased it through a better dealer, you would still have your boat and be very satisfied with it.
I don't disagree that the circumstances under which the boat was delivered and the dealer's behavior significantly contributed to the negative impressions I had of the 26M.

Leaving aside the differences between the dealer who sold me my Edge (Russell's Marine in Maine) and the great support Hunter's customer service group has provided, after buying the Hunter 27E Edge I do stand by many of my opinions regarding the differences between the two.

The Edge is only 6 inches longer and 6 inches wider, but I find both the cockpit and cabin much roomier and easier to get around in. I've had 6 people on board the Edge and everyone was able to get up and move around both the cockpit and cabin with relative ease. If you had 6 people on the 26M they'd have to climb over one another to get into and out of the cabin, and do the airplane aisle shimmy inside the cabin to move about.

To me the manufacture of the Edge seems more solid and the finish on it much better than that on the 26M. There is no place on the boat, even in the unfinished holds behind the aft berth, where there are fiberglass shards sticking out upon which one might cut themselves as I did. The hull material is thicker and the fittings used are better quality.

I've been very pleased with how the Edge handles. I find that because of the extra weight it is easier to maneuver at low speeds on windy days into and out of the dock and comes about better on days with light wind. Also, even though it weighs more, I've gotten it going faster under sail than I ever had the 26M. I think the difference between the keel & daggerboard has a lot to do with that.

This isn't to say the Edge is a faster boat, that's an overly broad statement. Just that in my personal experience I've been able to get more out of it.

Although the two boats are in the same market segment in my mind they are not necessarily direct competitors. Even after doing an apples to apples comparison between the two boats configured almost identically (I made up a spread sheet) the Hunter Edge costs several thousand more.

In addition the extra weight changes certain considerations.

I found that compared to my West Wight Potter 19 the 26M was a lot more cumbersome to set up and take down. So after the 1st season I gave up on trailering the 26M for every use. However if you intend to do a lot of trailering then the lighter and slightly shorter 26M is probably a better choice than the longer and heavier Edge. I don't anticipate trailering my 27E more than once a year in addition to taking it to/from its summer mooring.

I'd also think that there is likely a difference between the two for operations under no ballast full power configurations. I have a 50HP and have gotten the Hunter up to 15mph with it without ballast. With (literally) the exact same engine I had the 26M up to around 20mph and might have been able to go a little faster. I personally wasn't comfortable with how it handled at those speeds as it felt to me like it was hard to keep centered on a course.

All things considered though I think that for me personally the Hunter is a better boat. I'm the type of consumer that knows that sometimes it's worth it to me to pay a little more for certain features on a boat, car, etc. I feel fairly certain that had it been available at the time I was first looking at a larger boat I'd have chosen the Hunter over the 26M.

There is so much variation in boats and what people want and need in them. I have found the Hunter Edge suits me better and would encourage people considering a Power Sailor to check it out along with the 26M and decide for themselves what works for them. If any people reading this in the Boston metro area are interested in checking one out I'd be happy to take them out on my Edge when sailing season comes back around.

Also, I do know that one person who lives locally and looked at my 26M but ended up buying one from someone else. He moors his boat in Salem. Maybe he'd be interested in a head to head sometime next summer :).

Gotta run, it's still ski season where I live and the slopes are calling...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 1, 2004
MacGregor 26D Parry Sound, ON
This from a Catalina 27 owner???

I think those things are an ugly joke played on unsuspecting newbies like you and your wife. I don't even think they have a place on this forum... because this is about sailing. That video of the 26m out in gale force winds only proves that a good sailor can sail just about anything. The problem is.... good sailors don't buy boats like that cause they know the danger. In fact I doubt they would have taken that thing out there without the 54 foot mother ship hovering close by.

You're not getting more for your buck.. you're getting something you can't get rid of when you realize the boat's major limitations.

If you're really serious about the joy of sailing. If you want to have own a real sailboat that you can enjoy daysailing, racing, weekends, coastal cruising and still trailer it you should look into the Catalina or Hunter products between 22-26 ft. Do not limit yourself to new boats. Older boats are a much better value.
Dude, a Catalina 27 owner should not call down another boat.

At least a Mac Power Sailor can drop ballast and motor better than most real sailboats.

What is a Cat 27 better at compared to real sailboats? SFA!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Dude, a Catalina 27 owner should not call down another boat.

At least a Mac Power Sailor can drop ballast and motor better than most real sailboats.

What is a Cat 27 better at compared to real sailboats? SFA!
Geez, DUDE, you are responding to a 3 month old post... check the header. You're a little late to the party.

FWIW, I was commenting on the 26x or m, not the d or s, models. The earlier d and s models were pretty decent trailerables. The x and m are completely different and not good sailboats.

Oct 2, 2008
Macgregor 26s bozeman, MT
I know it's late to reply, might not even be relevant now. Just a FWIW. I don't have a huge allegiance to the Mac although I do own and sail a 93 Mac 26s. I got interested in sailing in 2007 having been a power boater for 30+ years and never having sailed a day in my life. I researched for a year and found a 26s in summer 2008. Being a stubborn self taught fool all my life I am proceeding to teach my self to sail with lots to learn still. I've made many newbie mistakes and learned much by experience. This site has taught me many things also. My only comment would be is "get a boat and sail" it's freakin awesome!!! The 26's classic has been good to me. I also enjoy working on her in the off season, making my personal mod's. I'm sure there are many good boats out there. That's all I got to say about that.

May 26, 2004
Macgregor Venture 25 Trailer Sailor
Party?

Geez, DUDE, you are responding to a 3 month old post... check the header. You're a little late to the party.
:naughty: I didn't realize there is a time limit on the posts. Hey Phil do we need to fix this?

Jun 1, 2009
Macgregor 26D Mayfield Yacht Club, NY
We have a 88 Mac 26D. I had a O'Day 23 before and wanted one with more sleeping room and still fun to sail. The under cockpit bed is a real winner for us. I suggest you go to the Mac Owners form and read, after I did I found one and sailed it. It was only $5k with the trailer and all great sails, GPS, real head, real clean. Make a short list of boats, find them locally to you (many sailors are friendly) & go sailing, see if you like them, different types of boats feel differently. Don't get blinded by stuff on the boat, think about what you would want to live with for a while. Sail boats are easy to buy and hard to sell. Good luck and take your time. -- Jon

Jan 25, 2008
Hunter 25 -
I own the 1993 Hunter 23.5,water ballasted,swing keel (14inchs keel up 5'6"down),and a very easy trailered boat. I tow with my explorer p/u 6cy over hills of NWArkansas no problems.
I have a friend who just sold his Mac 26.His old boat was nice but didnt have the room of mine even though it was a little longer. The H23.5 was hard to beat on down wind
reach.
Cost under 10k in excellant condition everywhere....check out this sweet fractional sloop
Your first mate well love the comforts of home in comparison to others of this size.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
I don't know much about the 23.5 hunter...but find it difficult to accept that it has more room inside than a 26..is it because it is beamier?

As far as being hard to beat, I do know that I have passed many hunter 26's, on all points of sail, and have never been passed by one. Thus, I do beg to differ with your 23.5 being "hard to beat". Though I do lust after how nice the 26 hunter inside is! If your innards are similiar tis something to consider.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I don't know much about the 23.5 hunter...but find it difficult to accept that it has more room inside than a 26..is it because it is beamier?........

The inside is large for a boat that size and appears roomier than the S and D, but doesn't have the separate head (at least I don't see one) and the sink area isn't as large. Still it is a very nice looking boat and reminds me of the X and M.

I think these boats are great for someone who wants to buy a boat and use it as is. One thing with the S and D if you are someone who likes to modify the insides to your particular needs I think they might be a better starting point. The Hunter and X and M are boats I would feel strange/bad about cutting up and redoing like I've done with our S.

Car guys run into the same thing. Finding a fully restored Model A one guy has no problem cutting it all up and making a hot rod out of it, me I would leave it original, but wouldn't be interested in owning it and driving around at 45 mph. I'd buy a rusted out Model A with no drive-train and make it into a hot rod. I have no problem cutting and drilling holes in our S, but would with the Hunter/X/M.

To each his own. For us if I had it to do all over again it would be another S. We love the combination or weight for trailering and size for livability. Most people like them for the huge aft berth, while for us it is mostly a storage area :cry:.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages
Mac Links

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Sum- the head in the H 23.5 is under the starboard side ofthe Vberth-just on the other side of the half-height bulkhead from the table at top right in your first picture. The 23.5 is beamier, but most of the illusion of greater size is because of the openess (no partitions or screened-off head). If you check the drawings, there is no storage area (lazarette) in the stern, either. Looks like a real nice boat, but only for two people for any length of time. -Paul

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sum- the head in the H 23.5 is under the starboard side off the Vberth-just on the other side of the half-height bulkhead............, but most of the illusion of greater size is because of the openness (no partitions or screened-off head)................ there is no storage area (lazarette) in the stern, either. Looks like a real nice boat, but only for two people for any length of time. -Paul
I kind of figured the head was out there in the open (there is a curtain) and know that the enclosed head on the larger Macs is a selling point for some. Obviously ...............

....as anyone can see not a problem for us, but I can see where some people don't want to deal with a head out in the open.

We like the V-berth being pretty much separated from the rest of the cabin though. More walls mean more places for shelving and storage.

....and yes the lazarette, where would I put all of the stuff that we have in there. It is like a bottomless pit and will really hold a lot of stuff you wouldn't want in the cabin.

As I said before we don't regret getting the Mac one bit and we have looked at a lot of boats since buying it,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
"wana be" sailboats with BIG outboards.

Just because multiple manufacturers build boats that claim to be the "new edge" in tomorrows sailboat doesn't make them the answer to the question most don't ask. It is simply a classic case of "pluralistic ignorance".

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Just because multiple manufacturers build boats that claim to be the "new edge" in tomorrows sailboat doesn't make them the answer to the question most don't ask. It is simply a classic case of "pluralistic ignorance".
What boat manufacture (car or anything else) is going to give you the impression that what they offer isn't the "new edge"?

There is a segment of boaters out there that are very happy with these '" wanna be" sailboats with BIG outboards' as you call them.

Is that hurting you or a problem? Are they criticizing your choice of a 'real sailboat'? Isn't there room on the water for all of us?

c ya and happy sailing,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Well, in the summer time my wife and I do a fair amount of several day cruising trips and have found that the elements are rarely in our favour. If it is not the tides or currents against us it is the wind blowing the wrong way or not blowing at all. So like most other sailboats out there we tend to motor a lot or motor sail. While the real sailboats are putting along at 5-6 knots with their engines going we are putting along at 10 knots with our so called big outboard going and that is only at 3000-4000 rpm, not WOT.
I wouldn't label a 50hp engine as big when there are 225hp outboards out there. In the outboard world a 50hp engine is small to medium at best and the under15hp engines are little egg beaters, BIG starts at 100HP.;)

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I think the biggest thing the 26M and X do is open up so many more launching areas for people. I wish I could launch my boats in the minimum depths they can, and not have to back my trailer so far into a ramp. I think it is awesome how many places they can launch.

That said, I really like my boat, and I am happy that others love their boats too. Getting out on the water is what it's all about and if you are doing it and enjoying it, more power to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.