macgregor 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2009
none none trailer
Looking for feedback etc. Wife and I are new too sailing. Have taken classes and done short day sails. Looking for trailer sailer to practice and hone skills to eventually do longer trips covering more distance. We live close to lakes , sadly no ocean at present. With my research sofar macgreger 26 x or m appears to be the way to go for general enjoyment and versatility. Any and all help appreciatted.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I think those things are an ugly joke played on unsuspecting newbies like you and your wife. I don't even think they have a place on this forum... because this is about sailing. That video of the 26m out in gale force winds only proves that a good sailor can sail just about anything. The problem is.... good sailors don't buy boats like that cause they know the danger. In fact I doubt they would have taken that thing out there without the 54 foot mother ship hovering close by.

You're not getting more for your buck.. you're getting something you can't get rid of when you realize the boat's major limitations.

If you're really serious about the joy of sailing. If you want to have own a real sailboat that you can enjoy daysailing, racing, weekends, coastal cruising and still trailer it you should look into the Catalina or Hunter products between 22-26 ft. Do not limit yourself to new boats. Older boats are a much better value.

Jun 7, 2004
Schock 35 Seattle
I have owned two MacGregors--an X model and a later M model. For sailing on lakes and inland waters in moderate wind conditions they are fine. They don't sail as well as a keelboat of the same size, nor do they motor as well as a motorboat, but they do enough things really well that you can have a great time on them. They are very roomy and can double as a trailer when you have it on the road to some distant lake. They have positive flotation and will not sink even if you make major mistakes while learning. Trailer sailors are a friendly lot and you will make lots of friends on the water and ashore. I sold my first Mac which I bought used for the same as I paid for it and lost nothing on the second one which I traded in for my current Schock 35.

These boats handle a bit differently than a traditional keelboat. Suggest you check out the Mac forum and see if anybody in your area will take you out for a cruise before you buy.

You will also find out that many "traditional" boat sailors do not like Macs. You will usually find out they have never owned one, and usually never been on one. Check out a friend's Mac first and see if it will work for you and your wife.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Easy there, Joe. The Mac 26X is the best-selling boat with sails of all time. Roger's boats clearly have plenty of fans and no shortage of potential buyers.

Mar 16, 2009
2 260 Lake Pleasant
Match the boat to your needs, where you will be sailing and your budget.

If you are going to trailer sail make sure you are comfortable with what it takes to step the mast, launching and retreiving. Water balast boats are the easist to launch and retrieve. Macregors are one of the easiest in this category, Hunters are a close second like a Hunter 26, H240 or H260. You should also look at the older macgregors like a Macregor 26S. These are not as roomy but are more of a true sailing boat and can be bought pretty cheap. We have a Hunter 260 and we love it for lake sailing and an occasional coastal or Harbor sail, weather permitting.

If you are looking for a family boat that can act as a sailboat, a power boat for pulling the kids around on tubes and roomy than the mac26x/m is a good choice. It does none of these things well as there are compromises in all categories to provide this range of flexibility. The macregor 26X as gives you the best range if your sailing grounds are large lakes and want to cover a lot of territory in a single day, under power.

Again it is about you defining what are the important to you and matching a boat to your needs.

Tim

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Easy there, Joe. The Mac 26X is the best-selling boat with sails of all time. Roger's boats clearly have plenty of fans and no shortage of potential buyers.

Sorry Phil, I thought he was asking for feedback and opinion. Before this guy goes out and buys a boat like this he needs to know both sides of the story. I hope "Roger" and the mac 26x/m fans weren't offended... but I'm sure they've heard it already. Anyway, don't put me on the scratch list... I'll be nice.

Sep 8, 2009
Island Packet 31 Cutter/Centerboard Federal Point Yacht Club, Carolina Beach, NC

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Oday 22 Oneida Lake, Syracuse, NY
Are you sure about this fact? I believe the good ol' Sunfish holds that title...

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
The Mac 26x created a niche - reasonably trailerable, maximised internal space, the perceived versatility (sail or motor), popularity (support, resale) and relatively modest cost. This boat has served thousands of families very well. They seem to appeal in particular to wives of new sailing couples - must be the size of the head...

The downside is that all these features compromises its abilities in specific areas, as others have mentioned. Most importantly, many will tell you that it is not a very satisfying sailboat, compared to more conventional boats in the same size or price range.

sandman - if its mainly going to be just the two of you, and you really don't need a fast motorboat, you have alot of choices in the 18-26 ft range of trailerable conventional sailboats that will be more fun to sail and still quite accomodating for week-long cruises. And less expensive than a mac 26x.

We've had our first boat (19') for 3 years. She's been fine for 3-day weekend cruises, and we regularly pass mac 26x's... til they start that 50HP engine.

But I do firmly believe that a bad day on the water is still better than a good day ashore, and I wouldn't turn down a day's outing on a mac. So, try one - it might be the best fit for your requirements.

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
consider expenses.......

You might consider what you expect to pay in expenses... Over time, they can really add up....

If you live in SoCal, like Joe, and want to keep in a slip, then you can check out the Marinas - locally.. take a look at the waiting lists - and slip costs... add taxes, and insurance.... Some places have dry storage - so that is "half way to a trailer sailer".

Is there a sailing club - where you can hobknob with other folks - locally? This can be a lot of fun!! There is a cost with this, too....

All that said.. if you have a trailer sailer - like a Mac 26X or 26M - can you keep it at your home - do the City Ordinance/Association Police prohibit RVs or Trailer Sailers? Locally, they are a PITB to people in our city...

Go out with friends and give things a try.... GL...

--jr

S

solarfry

sailing with a happy wife

I would suggest either a mac26x or the edge.

Nothing turns a wife off to sailing as fast as spending time in a slow boat, sitting around witout going anywhere or getting caught in rough weather you could of motorboated quickly away from. The second thing that turns them off is bashing their heads against the overhead all the time or being in a boat hunched down.

If you want your wife to go with you often look for a sailboat that will go faster than the weather, have a cabin to get out of the sun and sail only in fair weather (5 to 12mph).
Avoid listening to the hard core know it alls that claim a stout ship is the only ship to have because she can handle a hurricane. If you can motor out of a hurricanes way who cares if the boat can take a hurricane. Let the nuts sit there at 3mph for hours waiting for the weather to blast them silly and make their wives never sail with them again.

Knowledge is good but too much knowledge can kill you with preventions for things you may never face if you can get away from it quickly at 15 mph or more.

There is a reason so many Macgregor powersailers have been sold, way more than any other production sailboat. If it were a horrible boat it would of gone bankrupt years ago. Number prove them right.

Apr 22, 2008
Hunter 26 Boca Raton
sandman, I looked at the Macgregor 26S, and the Hunter H26. Went sailing on both of them and decided to get the Hunter H26. It has more room and the Admiral likes the Hunter. The Mac would take off faster but the Hunter would catch it and I did not like the feel of the Mac under sail. I wanted a sailboat that I could go to the Bahamas on and stay in it for the week with two kids and the wife. The Mac just did not have the room for me. I have put A/C and a pressurized water system in the Hunter and still have room to spare.

It only takes me 30 min to setup the mast and have it ready to sail. I keep the boat in my back yard, ready to sail, and the ramp is only 3 miles away so that helps. My Hunter is a 1996 and I bought it just over a year ago for 10000 because the guy needed to sell it. It had alot of new equipment on it. So if you go for a used sailboat, you can save your self alot of money to spend on what you need or want.

What ever you decided just make sure you have someone look the boat over who knows that type of boat to make sure it is good.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
When looking for a first sailboat a typical family is looking for price, performance and utility.

There are many reasons the Mac26 is still in production after many years and thousands of satisfied customers.

The Hunter Edge is more like the Mac26 but more expensive. Before you settle on the Mac, I'd take a look at the Edge which in my view is worth the extra money.

Also, you might want to look at this comparison of the Mac26 to the H260 by a sailor who has owned both boats:

http://h260.com/hunter-vs-McGregor.pdf

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Hey guest,

....Avoid listening to the hard core know it alls that claim a stout ship is the only ship to have because she can handle a hurricane..... .
I don't recall any hardcore know it alls claiming you should buy a sailboat that can withstand a hurricane. That's ridiculous. If you're wife doesn't like sailing....... buy a freakin' powerboat and quit pretending to be a sailor.

S

Solace of Freedom

They run a tight ship

Joe, I can relate. I think I got the boot for replying to one of Stu's, let's say, less than thoughtfull remarks (maybe Stu's been alone at sea a little too long and he forgot how to act). MacGregor makes less than attractive boats, in my opinion. I don't know how they lay-up their fiberglass hulls (is that even fiberglass?) but it looks and feels cheap. I'm not sure why so many people have defend them. I've never owned one, but from what I've heard the rigging is, well, not quite up to par either. I'm guessing if I had owned one I could give you the specifics (and, I'd probably tell you to stear clear rather than saying 'it depends on your needs'). You need a good boat. Keep looking. I'm new to owning a sailboat, myself. But, I've owned motor boats for many years. And, MacGregors remind my of Bayliners. Bayliners make cheaper motor boats. The quality just is not as good (let's say on many, but not all of their models), but they are less expensive to buy (that's the up-side). And, for many, that factor makes them attractive. And, hey if it gets you out on the water, and back in, then enjoy. But, with sailing there are alot more factors involed than just running a motor.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sandman, from your profile you are in TN. Do you plan to sail different lakes in the region or just one? Do you think you will bring it to the ocean much? Starting out, think about what you will do 80% of the time and go in that direction. Raising and lowering the mast of a 26 footer every time you sail can be a daunting task. If you wish to sail often, find a local lake with adequate facilities to let you dock the boat or at least store it on the trailer with the mast up. Otherwise having to raise a tall heavy mast can discourage a lot of sailing trips. Your Wife also won't be thrilled if every trip starts and ends with a lot of expletives raising and lowering the mast.

It is likely cheaper to have small powerboat and a small sailboat and a 26 footer is really only a requirement if you are planning to overnight a lot.

Think hard about the hybrid approach. I had a Lancer 25 and Lancer made a bunch of these hybrid power sailors in the 80s' (25, 27 and 29 feet) and by now nearly all of them have had their 90-150 hp outboards retired in favor of a 9.9 hp outboard.

I wouldn't pass on a Mac for being a Mac. Plenty of people are on the water today who wouldn't be if not for them and many are fine sailors. Just don't ride out a hurricane in one!

Gdindy

Jul 11, 2007
Hunter 410 Washington Park Marina, Michigan City, Indiana
We bought a used Mac 1990 model several years ago for the same reason you are. First larger boat, have kids, love to sail wanted to trailer the boat to lake Michigan and back. We sail inland waters and love it. We moved up from a Hobie, wife does not like to swim. The Mac was affordable, easy to launch, rig and control. Not a racer so too not concerned about speed. Sleeping comforts great. Visit the Mac web site many videos to see and learn from. Hope you have as much fun with it as we have.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.