macgregor 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
Looking for feedback etc. Wife and I are new too sailing. Have taken classes and done short day sails. Looking for trailer sailer to practice and hone skills to eventually do longer trips covering more distance. We live close to lakes , sadly no ocean at present. With my research sofar macgreger 26 x or m appears to be the way to go for general enjoyment and versatility. Any and all help appreciatted.
Howdy,

I've owned trailerable boats for 8 years. Started out with a West Wight Potter 19, then got a 26M and now own the Hunter Edge 27E. So I can give you some feedback based on my own experiences.

The Potter 19 is a sturdy little boat. With a V hull forward and flat hull at the stern it heels very little. It isn't incredible fast and if you plan to take friends out or spend more than 1-2 nights aboard you'll likely start to find the cockpit and cabin fairly cramped as we did. However for a boat with a galley, porta pottie, and room for 4 people it is fairly easy to launch and recover. We trailered it every time we used it which really kept the ownership costs down. At 1750lbs we were able to tow it with an Audi A4 wagon and there are many other vehicles with towing capacities of 2000lb that can easily tow it. Overall I think we spent under $500 on gas, ramp fees, and other ongoing costs over the 6 years we owned it. That cost doesn't include the change from a bunk trailer to a roller trailer, which made launch and recover much easier. If you're OK with small this boat is a good choice for a trailerable you can live aboard and launch/recover at will.

We next got a 26M. While we took the marketing BS about one person launching it in 10-15 min and it being able to be towed with a standard 4 door sedan with a grain of salt we did think we could use it in a manner similar to the Potter. That was not the case. Even though we had 6 years of experience with a trailerable boat and knew all the tricks to make launch and recovery fast we could never get the 26M in or out of the water in under 1.5hrs. So we changed over to mooring the boat which ran up the ownership costs. I won't go into detail but from the day the 26M arrived (we bought it new) until the day we sold it the thing was an unmitigated disaster.

In my opinion it is a flimsy boat. It is built in assembly line fashion and there seemed to be little quality control. Owing to the cheap price the boat lacked a lot in fit and finish. I can't tell you how many nasty cuts I got trying to do work on things inside the bilge or storage compartment areas due to the sharp unfinished fiberglass. Aside from the long list of things that were not working when the boat arrived other things seemed to break very easily. I found myself spending way too much time working on this boat and too little sailing it. Also I was dismayed by the number of problems the boat arrived with (of both factory and dealer origin) and the refusal of the dealer to make good on his and MacGregor's warranty without my having to sue them as well as MacGregor's callous and unhelpful attitude in getting the dealer to honor the warranty.

I was unfortunate in the timing of things because I looked at Hunter boats at the time I looked at the 26M. I liked the Power Sailer concept but Hunter hadn't announced the Edge even to their dealers at the time I was looking. Two months after the 26M got delivered the Edge was announced. Given the problems I had with the 26M I took a good look at it. I checked it out when it first arrived in July 2008, again at a Fall 2008 boat shows, took a test sail in Oct 2008 and looked at it once again at a Winter 2009 boat show.

At the start of the 2009 sailing season I decided to give the 26M another try figuring that maybe by mooring it and eliminating a lot of the work in launch and recovery I'd sail more and start liking the boat. It didn't happen. I didn't like how it handled and as I mentioned things started breaking. Although my wife like the Edge too she had sworn she wouldn't let me buy it until we sold the 26M but by the time the middle of summer arrived she took to hating the 26M so much she actually was the one to suggest we look at the Edge again. We did and we ended up buying one. In order to minimize the bath I was going to take I took as much gear off the 26M as I could use on the Edge and marked it down. I managed to sell a 1yr old 26M that had been sailed 15 times at only a 20% loss....

Even though I got my 27E (I really don't like calling it the EDGE) in August I've sailed it as much as I sailed the 26M between last year and the 1st 1/2 of this year. I have had only a one or two minor problems so far which have been easily remedied. My wife and I find that the 27E suits us much better than the 26M. The cockpit is much roomier and easier to move around in. Although the 26M is marketed as holding 6 people I can't see how you can fit that many in the cockpit because of the wrap around bench and traveler's position. In the 26M we've had 6 people on it several times and people moved around quite easily.

The cabin in the 27E is wider, sunnier and roomier even though it is only 6inches longer and 6 inches wider than the 26M. The head is full height as well and has a screened window for ventilation. Boarding onto the 27E's transom from a launch is easier than having to climb over the 26M's gunwale. We also like sailing it more. It has flat chines to the stern which make it heel less than the 26M, though it still heels more than the Potter. My wife isn't comfortable with heeling too much. I've gotten 7.5mph out of my 27E in 12-15mph winds which is faster than I ever got the 26M going. I'm not saying that you can't go as fast in a 26M as in the 27E, just that in my experience I wasn't able to acheive this.

Overall I really like the fit and finish of the 27E much better than the 26M and think it is a sturdier boat. I personally think it is worth the extra $. Since I bought a boat off a dealer lot mid season in a bad economy I got a good enough deal that even after factoring the loss on the 26M and the equipment transfered over I paid about the same for the 27E as I would have if I'd bought it new in 2008 fully loaded.

Most everyone has different needs and considerations with regard to choosing a boat. In my opinion many 26M owners consider initial purchase cost one of the highest factors. For me that wasn't the case and I'd have bought the 27E new over the 26M if it was available then. I like having a trailerable boat even if I mostly moor it and only trailer it someplace 1-2x per year. I don't think either the 26M or 27E are the best choices if you're going to trailer it a lot. In that case, from my experience, I'd think the Potter or something comparable might be better suited.

Best of luck in finding the right boat for you.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
I'd highly recommend going with a different boat, like a Catalina 22 or something similar. The MacGregor 26x/m have relatively poor sailing characteristics compared to other many other trailerable boats and as such are probably not the best to learn on.

Looking for feedback etc. Wife and I are new too sailing. Have taken classes and done short day sails. Looking for trailer sailer to practice and hone skills to eventually do longer trips covering more distance. We live close to lakes , sadly no ocean at present. With my research sofar macgreger 26 x or m appears to be the way to go for general enjoyment and versatility. Any and all help appreciatted.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
I have pulled my 26s from conneticut to key largo and most lakes in between with a 4 cylinder car. Takes me 30 min.'s to launch and about the same to recover. with a friend who knows what to do I have had it down to 20 min. but don't like to rush because, of course, that can create mishaps.

Keep in mind I am writing about the older 26s, a pure sailor that does very well. Don't know about the sailing characteristics of the hybrids. But the 26s, though lightly built, is a tough boat that I have outsailed all of the catalina 22s I have encountered on and most of the hunter 26 /catalina 25s. With the right person tuggin the tiller, a new rudder, good sails, and a traveler...the boat is fast for it's length/niche, though much more spartan, w/o upgrades, at anchor than catalina or hunter....course, I only paid 8.5 k for it.

S

solosailer

It still is a better solution

For such a successful boat (22,000 at last count )it sure raises the hackles on the purists. How dare you get a sailboat on plane! That is unsailorlike! You should go slow and wait for storms to hit you in the face like the rest of us sailors.

Some people hate things just because they are different..

I have pulled my 26s from conneticut to key largo and most lakes in between with a 4 cylinder car. Takes me 30 min.'s to launch and about the same to recover. with a friend who knows what to do I have had it down to 20 min. but don't like to rush because, of course, that can create mishaps.

Keep in mind I am writing about the older 26s, a pure sailor that does very well. Don't know about the sailing characteristics of the hybrids. But the 26s, though lightly built, is a tough boat that I have outsailed all of the catalina 22s I have encountered on and most of the hunter 26 /catalina 25s. With the right person tuggin the tiller, a new rudder, good sails, and a traveler...the boat is fast for it's length/niche, though much more spartan, w/o upgrades, at anchor than catalina or hunter....course, I only paid 8.5 k for it.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
just want to clarify...

that I am not ditching the mac 26m. I don't know enough about it to render an opinion on it. If anything, I was attempting to give my data on a 26'mac boat that is very different from drbeer's experience.

My setup and takedown has never taken close to as long as he states, and my mac, though lightly built, is anything but flimsy...my boat has withstood high winds many times (20-30- triple reefed) and one heavy dock bump and had NO problems. More than once I have shoved off into whitecapps when hunter and catalina owners sit at the dock (not saying all would do this...but the boats are close enough where it is the hand n brain on the tiller and ropes that makes the biggest difference.).

For such a successful boat (22,000 at last count )it sure raises the hackles on the purists. How dare you get a sailboat on plane! That is unsailorlike! You should go slow and wait for storms to hit you in the face like the rest of us sailors.

Some people hate things just because they are different..

May 24, 2007
Beneteau 352 Milwaukee, WI
A great boat but not for everbody ...

Wow ... for a moment I thought I was on SailNet. I had hoped that level of hate for the Mac powersailors wouldn't show up here too. :naughty:

sandman,

Our story is similar to yours. We live in south-central Wisconsin; we are surrounded by lakes and are 90 minutes away from Lake Michigan. We were new to sailing, wanted to “try it out” without a significant cash investment and we could park the boat next to the garage.

My wife wanted a boat that could get off the water if the wind died or the weather threatened. She wanted something with a comfortable interior that had at least a porta-pot. We researched the market and thought the MacGregor 26M would fit our needs. I located a local dealer, crawled all over a 26M at a boat show and started saving our pennies. I joined the local university’s sailing club, learned to sail with unlimited access to their fleet and continued to save our pennies. We have had our Mac 26M on the water for three seasons now and I think I can give you an objective review.

The MacGregor powersailor (26X & 26M) is a hybrid. It’s an OK sailboat and an OK powerboat. It is not a “great” performer in either role but it is a lot of fun on the water! :)

We trailered from lake to lake the first season. We got pretty good at launch/recovery with each of us responsible for a set of tasks. Arrival at a ramp to launch & sail away was 20-30 minutes with about the same time when hauling the boat out. We even kept the boat in mast-up storage on the shore of Lake Michigan for a couple months. Arrival to sail away was roughly 15 minutes with this arrangement.

The second season we kept the boat on a mooring in Lake Mendota, a 10,000 acre lake five miles from the house. Instead of sailing on weekends, we could sail whenever the spirit (wind) would move us.

We had the boat in a slip on Lake Michigan this last season. The boat is rigged with all lines brought aft to the cockpit and I sail solo 3-4 days a week (I’m retired now) and my wife & I take weekend trips up `n down the west coast of the lake.

I crew on a Pearson Flyer, race weekly around the marks and across Lake Michigan at night for Queen’s Cup. I have sailed more miles aboard a so called “real sailboat” than I have aboard my MacGregor. My wife and I have sailed the San Juan’s in the PNW aboard a Beneteau 361 and the Apostle Islands in Lake Superior aboard a Beneteau 311.

Our MacGregor was the perfect boat for our family. It met our needs for the purpose and environment we expected to use it. Now we are shopping for our next boat, a boat that will allow us to sail the Great Lakes for weeks/months at a time. Along the way, we have learned a lot about sailing; a lot about the sailing community and a lot about the systems & design attributes that that work well on a coastal cruiser.

OK … Here’s the feedback you are looking for.

The overall fit, finish and quality of the boat is a direct reflection on the dealer that puts the boat into service. More so than the factory. Ours was flawless and the dealer upgraded a number of things to make our sailing experience the best it could be.

This boat is bare bones from the factory and the money you save at initial purchase may be eaten up when you outfit the boat for your personal use in the environment where you plan to use it. Inland lakes don’t call for/require VHF radios or GPS. Navigable rivers, the Great Lakes and the near shore oceans might or do. Know what you must have aboard the boat for your area.

Rigging at the ramp, launch and recovery are pretty simple and straight forward. Easy to do singlehanded if you have the mast raising system.
The interior is roomy and comfortable. It comes pretty bare bones and you can upgrade/modify it to meet your personal needs.

The roomy interior leads to an increased exterior profile. Combined with the boat’s light weight, slow speed maneuvering at the dock/slip can be a challenge in a crosswind.

The boat is narrow and the ballast weight is higher than a conventional sailboat. As a result, the boat is kinda tender. It will heel over to 15-20 degree very quickly in winds above 10 knots before it hardens up. This can be an uncomfortable ride for some people (read this as my wife). :doh:

The boat doesn’t point as well as a conventional keelboat.

The boat is a little squirrely when motoring at higher speeds (rudders up). Don’t believe the hype about top speeds at/above 20 mph and pulling a skier. This is very much a function of the OBM and how it is propped.

The 50 horse OB lets me get in/out and between ports faster than my sailing buddies. The OB is easy to maintain and the boat doesn’t suffer from prop drag when sailing.

Given what I know today about the Mac 26M, would I recommend this boat to others … Yes
Would I warn others that the boat design doesn’t work well for everybody in all sailing environments … Yes
Was this boat a great way to capture and hold my wife’s interest in sailing … Yes
Is it her idea that we get a bigger keelboat and go cruisin’ for weeks/months at a time … YES!

Sandman, make sure you take the opportunity to sail aboard as many boats as possible before buying anything. Make sure your wife is directly involved in the process and is comfortable aboard the boat that you eventually do buy.

If you haven’t already done so, check out this web site - http://www.macgregorsailors.com/ This site is heavy on powersailor owners and you should able to locate owners in your area. Most of us are always willing to give people a ride and show off our boats.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
MacGregor makes less than attractive boats, in my opinion. I don't know how they lay-up their fiberglass hulls (is that even fiberglass?) but it looks and feels cheap. I've never owned one, but from what I've heard the rigging is, well, not quite up to par either. I'm new to owning a sailboat, myself. But, I've owned motor boats for many years. And, hey if it gets you out on the water, and back in, then enjoy. But, with sailing there are alot more factors involed than just running a motor.
There is a MacGregor video that describes in detail the layup and building of their sailboats, check it out and learn. You state you are new to owning a sailboat, I guess that pretty well qualifies your opinion.

Ahoy Sandman,

Where are you gong to sail? What is your budget? What size tow vehicle do you have? Are you interested in a new or used sailboat? What quality will you be satisfied with? What size and displacement? What features and benefits? What are you going to be happy with? Questions you will eventually answer buy the time you purchase your sailboat.

The Macgregor 26 is a sailboat that may fit your needs for "general enjoyment and versatility". However, there is a direct correlation between cost and quality! Generally speaking the more you pay the better quality you will get. For example a new MacGregor M26 will cost a lot less than a new Seaward 26RK, and there is a reason for that. Go to the Macgregor web site, then go to the Seaward web site. You may want to physically go see and board many trailerable sailboats, both on their trailers and in the water. Then, you will see for yourself that there is a significant difference in trailerable sailboats.
MacGregor also enjoys economies of scale, they sell enough boats to keep theiir profit margin lower thereby passing the saving on to the customer. Seaward does not sell as many boats as MacGregor so they have to charge more to turn a profit. Watch the MacGregor video and see how their modern manufacturing process cuts down the cost of production.

. What's going to make you and your wife happy is the bottom line?
Here, Hear!:dance: you are absolutely correct!
Everyone has their own opinion, I have mine! My opinion is that buying a used sailboat is a much better than buying a new sailboat, because you will get much more sailboat for the dollars spent. Having said that, there are lots of used trailerable sailboats available. I'd determine the make and model that will meet your needs, then begin the search for that sailboat!
David

The Mac 26x created a niche - reasonably trailerable, maximised internal space, the perceived versatility (sail or motor), popularity (support, resale) and relatively modest cost. This boat has served thousands of families very well. They seem to appeal in particular to wives of new sailing couples - must be the size of the head...
But I do firmly believe that a bad day on the water is still better than a good day ashore, and I wouldn't turn down a day's outing on a mac. So, try one - it might be the best fit for your requirements.
Yes the boat appealed to my wife at first sight!

I would suggest either a mac26x or the edge.

Nothing turns a wife off to sailing as fast as spending time in a slow boat, sitting around witout going anywhere or getting caught in rough weather you could of motorboated quickly away from. The second thing that turns them off is bashing their heads against the overhead all the time or being in a boat hunched down.

If you want your wife to go with you often look for a sailboat that will go faster than the weather, have a cabin to get out of the sun and sail only in fair weather (5 to 12mph).

There is a reason so many Macgregor powersailers have been sold, way more than any other production sailboat. If it were a horrible boat it would of gone bankrupt years ago. Number prove them right.
Absolutely, positively include your wife in the decision because if she doesn't like it you won't be buying it. If she is happy with it, so too will you be.

Starting out, think about what you will do 80% of the time and go in that direction. Raising and lowering the mast of a 26 footer every time you sail can be a daunting task. If you wish to sail often, find a local lake with adequate facilities to let you dock the boat or at least store it on the trailer with the mast up. Otherwise having to raise a tall heavy mast can discourage a lot of sailing trips. Your Wife also won't be thrilled if every trip starts and ends with a lot of expletives raising and lowering the mast.
I wouldn't pass on a Mac for being a Mac. Plenty of people are on the water today who wouldn't be if not for them and many are fine sailors. Just don't ride out a hurricane in one!
YUP, I have a slip for precisely that reason, my wife hated the setup and take down and demanded we get a slip.

There is some valuable insight on this thread, enough to assist anyone in their buying decision for a MacGregor, just seperate the wheat from the chafe.

Oct 15, 2009
Ohlson 38 Sloop Marion, MA
Should check out www.macgregorsailors.com if you want good feedback on the macs.

We have an 04 M, and like it a lot. We spent a lot of time on it before we bought it..and still like it 5 years later. Would buy it again.

It is built a lot better than many give it credit for. It truely is a huge compromise. yes the marketing material is a stretch for the most part.

You will find most owners like them...then again, most people buying them know what they are in for.

The edge is, overall, better than the Mac. But it is heavier, wider, and at least 2X the price of the Mac. On the macgregorsailors site, I did a 'review' of sorts on it (well differences from the edge compared to the Mac). Couple points about the edge I don't like. The bow deck hatch is tiny. I can not get my body through it. If you were 98 lbs, you might squeek through with some grease on your body, but a fullsize person wont fit through it..which means going on deck from the cockpit to get to the bow..and Hunter has this nice 'NO STEP' area from the cabintop to the deck, which makes it a bit more difficult (ie larger step) to go between the areas. I didn't like the open end of the cockpit (ie stuff can fall out a lot easier) and the rather tiny captains seat...which holds a very nice rudder setup, doesn't kick up like the Mac, but is a daggerboard style. Nice though.. simple, reliable, clever..but the no kickup is a mixed bag.

Find an owner, or better yet a club, and ask to go out on their boats. Check them out, talk with owners.

You will find 90% of negative comments about the Mac are from people who never owned one.

But to pull a 26' boat with a car or small truck, launch in 12 inches of water, rig in about an hour (the 15 minutes in the marketing material is BS), and sail and power and have fun.. is a good combination.

But search the macgregorsailors site for info on the Mac X/M and some (mostly) constructive chat about the edge

Check out www.ne-ts.com for information about our club. With 125+ members, who mostly have Macs, truely enjoy their boats. We have lots of pictures and stories in the free section

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 26M Delta, B.C. Canada 26M not X
Should check out www.macgregorsailors.com if you want good feedback on the macs.

We have an 04 M, and like it a lot. We spent a lot of time on it before we bought it..and still like it 5 years later. Would buy it again.

You will find most owners like them...then again, most people buying them know what they are in for.
Find an owner, or better yet a club, and ask to go out on their boats. Check them out, talk with owners.

Check out www.ne-ts.com for information about our club. With 125+ members, who mostly have Macs, truely enjoy their boats. We have lots of pictures and stories in the free section
I checked out your ne-ts site, very nice, great that you include all trailer sailors and even members with no boat, something our club should ponder over. We are Macgegor Yacht Club of BC, located in the Pacific Northwest.
http://www.MYCBC.CA
We are also of the same philosophy and always recruiting new members. Everyone is welcome to check us out.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
Before I bought my 26M I went to this site. Based on what I saw there I thought the 26M was a good boat. I had nothing but horrible experiences with it. I rue the day I bought it and was glad to see it go even though I lost a bit of $ on it.

IMO I do not think that the information I got on this site was balanced. The site is sponsored exclusively by dealers of MacGregors. From what I could see from some threads posted there it appears that at least one dealer used fake IDs to promote his products.

When I posted information regarding the negative experiences I had with my 26M in that forum the thread was frozen. It was subsequently deleted and my account was locked out with an IP filter block put on so I couldn't create another one.

I personally caution you to keep in mind that anything you read in that forum is written by people who are, for the most part, highly enthusiastic about the product. Based on my personal experience I do not believe that you will get a balanced view of the 26M from reading that forum. That is my opinion and others may disagree so take it for what it's worth.

The edge is, overall, better than the Mac. But it is heavier, wider, and at least 2X the price of the Mac. On the macgregorsailors site, I did a 'review' of sorts on it (well differences from the edge compared to the Mac).
I wouldn't trust any review of the Edge that you saw on a site dedicated exclusively to MacGregor owners.

I have owned both boats. After owning my 26M just over a year I hated it so much I went out and bought an Edge even though I hadn't sold the 26M yet.

I disagree that it is 2X the price. When you compare apples to apples the Edge is still more $ but the difference is not 2x. A stripped 26M goes for $21,500 plus shipping. I got mine mostly loaded with a 50HP engine, furler, 150% genoa bimini, and lots of stuff and it cost me over $33,000.

The Edge comes with a lot of things standard that are optional on the 26M. When I priced out the two boats comparably equipped from the dealer I got mine from (Russell's Marine in Maine) the Edge came in at about 1/3 more than the 26M. Yes that's still a big price difference but I personally think the Edge is a much sturdier boat with significantly better fit and finish to it. Despite being only 6 inches longer and 6 inches wider it is in my opinion much roomier and more comfortable. I have taken 6 adults out on it with everyone being able to move around the cockpit and cabin with ease. Not possible on a 26M...

In my opinion (and my wife's :) the Hunter 27E Edge was worth every extra penny I paid for it.
Couple points about the edge I don't like. The bow deck hatch is tiny. I can not get my body through it. If you were 98 lbs, you might squeek through with some grease on your body, but a fullsize person wont fit through it..which means going on deck from the cockpit to get to the bow..
I'm 5'10" and 195lbs. I have no trouble getting through this hatch. While I haven't measured it I don't think it is significantly smaller than that on the 26M.

Hunter has this nice 'NO STEP' area from the cabintop to the deck, which makes it a bit more difficult (ie larger step) to go between the areas. I didn't like the open end of the cockpit (ie stuff can fall out a lot easier) and the rather tiny captains seat
I personally don't find this to be a problem. I use a furler and don't need to go forward very often.

The 26M cockpit is open at the back also, underneath the captain's seat. Stuff can fall out of it just as easily. IMO this is a consideration with either boat. We have the cockpit rail seats on the Edge. The design of these, and the lifeline gates on the back seem to be amenable to putting cargo netting on, and we are thinking of doing this.

I like really like getting on and off the Edge from the transom. It's more difficult to do that on the 26M because the opening behind the captain's seat is much narrower and the engine is in the way, compared with the Edge where the transom is designed as a step on.

...which holds a very nice rudder setup, doesn't kick up like the Mac, but is a daggerboard style. Nice though.. simple, reliable, clever..but the no kickup is a mixed bag.
I don't see why the no kickup is a "mixed bag". The Edge has a swing keel and a daggerboard style rudder, the 26M has swing up rudders and a daggerboard style keel.

If your argument is that the daggerboard rudder won't swing up if you hit something, well you have the same problem in the 26M where the daggerboard keel sticks down. Also consider that the daggerboard keel in the 26M is a hollow piece of fiberglass and will crack like an eggshell if you hit anything. And when you're sailing the 26M you need to tie down the rudder lines or the rudders will swing up from the force of the water rushing past them. So the rudders won't swing up freely if they hit something.

I also found that because MacGregor didn't use pulleys for the rudder raise/lower mechanism but instead just threads them through a hole in the transom then down and out the bottom of the gudgeon that the rudders are bolted to. As a result the lines chafe easily on both the transom and gudgeon. This happens especially if you leave the boat on a mooring even if you raise the rudders when moored. By the end of one season my lines had visible chafing and were unlikely to last more than 2 seasons. This is likely less of a consideration if you will only be trailering.

If you're anywhere close to Boston drop me an email. I'll be happy to show you my Hunter 27E Edge (it's out for the season but can be easily boarded on the trailer in my yard) and tell you what else I really like about it versus the 26M.

You will find 90% of negative comments about the Mac are from people who never owned one.
You will find 90% of my comments about the Mac are negative and 90% of my comments about the Edge are positive and I have owned both boats. I'm also not the first person in this forum that has owned both boats and feels the same way I do.

So far my experience is that the vast majority of negative comments I've seen about the Edge have come from people who haven't owned one, and have maybe looked at one once or twice and never even sailed on one.

OK, this is something I'll agree with you on. Unlike the macgregorsailors forum the NE Trailer Sailors had the integrity to not nuke comments I posted regarding my extremely bad experience with the 26M. I joined this group at the time I got my 26M and some of the folks on it were truly helpful about and sympathetic with all the problems I encounterd.

Unfortunately because I spent the first half of the first season I owned the 26M fixing the problems it came with so I could use it before the season ended I never got to attend any events that year.

Then I spent the 1st half of this season fixing things that broke on the 26M before ditching it to get the Edge. By the time I got the Edge bottom painted and in the water it was mid August so I just sailed it locally, especially because I was then spending time taking gear off the 26M and making sure that it was in good working condition for the person who bought it from me. So I still haven't attended any events.

It doesn't cost much to join the group and they do seem like a good lot...

Dr. Beer

S

solarfry

Expert opinions from non-owners?

I am often amazed at the anymosity of people that have never owned a particular brand of boat and are totally against it. To the point of invading threads about the boat with gratuitious derogatory remarks based on their proclaimed "Expertise". I think if you don't own "the brand" and never owned one your should restrict your remarks to what you know. Otherwise you are just spamming. Y'all know how much we love spammers..

There seem to be self proclaimed experts in every boating forum. If you don't buy what they want, you own the worst boat ever manufactured. If you call them out they get defensive and derogatory. They sound so much like spitefull salesmen from the competition. You know who they are.. They sometimes don't even own the boat brand they are pushing.

If a man is interested in a guacamole 35 and you own one by all means give advice about it. If you don't own one keep your derogatory remarks to yourself and let the people in the know provide the assistance the man is asking for instead of throwing mud in the water.

Be grown up. It's not about you or your favourite brand of boat. It's about providing factual information and assistance to a fellow human being.

God knows there already is a massive amount of misinformation on the web.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Sorry guest, but that is ridiculous. Quit whining.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Actually, given the popularity of power sailors we should chip in and make mold from BrianD's Lancer 27PS powersailor! It is a nice looking boat and if you like the concept, it is worth looking at one if you are up for an older boat and come across one. Most of them stayed on the west coast though. There were also 25 and 29 footers.

In my opinion this was a pretty decent thread with a ton of information on it for Sandman. I just wanted to throw the info in about the Lancers as they are worthy of consideration.

I love my S2, but there is something to be said for making the Wife happy. However, that is an uncertainty at best. I wanted to move up to have headroom and to give her something new to show off. She was on board twice this year. Once for the 4th of July and once because a friend flew in from out of town. So, while it may be tempting to think that the power to cruise up and down the coast at 20 knots to Salem and Scituate in an afternoon would be attractive to her, any attraction it had for her would probably wear off soon leaving me with a boat that I, who do 80% of my sailing alone, am perhaps less happy with. Disclaimer - Not necessarily applicable to your Wife, but do your best to find out before cutting a check!

Nov 12, 2009
Catalina 22, El Toro Folsom
Being new to sailing, my advise would be to go cheap first. This year I bought a 1980 Catalina 22 swing keel with trailer, outboard and nearly everything needed to drop in the water and go. I only had to buy a VHF/GPS unit The total cost was $4000. That's about 10% of the cost of a new boat and accessories. It allows us to decide if we like boating and provides us with a basis to determine what we would want as a permanent boat. There at lots of Catalina 22s around and you would almost be certain to find other C22 sailors in your area.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
I'm a big fan of the Catalina 22. It may be a bit smaller than you are considering, but its a great sailing boat. Its been in constant production since the late 70's and had only minor changes to the cabin.

It has all the controls needed to shape the main sail, so as your skills increase you can start practicing the nuances of sail trim. At the same time the rig is forgiving for a new sailor in moderate conditions. It can handle heavy weather well under experienced hands.

The biggest negative for this boat is the head. Not only is it a hand carry porto-potty, but it sits under the main bunk. No way to use it after everybody has turned in.

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
I am often amazed at the anymosity of people that have never owned a particular brand of boat and are totally against it. To the point of invading threads about the boat with gratuitious derogatory remarks based on their proclaimed "Expertise". I think if you don't own "the brand" and never owned one your should restrict your remarks to what you know. Otherwise you are just spamming. Y'all know how much we love spammers..
I assume that since your post follows mine and seems to refer to it, that you were commenting with regard to what I posted. If this is the case then I guess you didn't really read what I posted. All of what I have posted is based on my ACTUAL experiences with having owned a 26M for 15.5 months.

While I know there are many people that are quite enthusiastic about the 26M, I had nothing but problems with it. Both my wife and I disliked the boat so much that we felt we'd be better off sucking up the several thousand dollar loss we knew we'd take by selling it than to keep the thing. We wanted to be out having fun sailing and not working on fixing whatever the newest thing was that broke or latest hidden problem we discovered. My wife hated it even more than I did, something which I didn't think possible.

In place of the 26M I got a Hunter Edge. I've posted about my experiences with that boat (which have been predominantly good) in other places on these forums so I won't go into it here.

Since this thread was started by someone who asked for opinions of the 26M and I have actual experience having owned one, my comments are quite relevant to this thread and are not "gratuitous derogatory remarks".

Nor am I a "spiteful salesman from the competition". Just a sailor who got thoroughly screwed by buying what is in my opinion a poorly made product manufactured by a company who, in the particular instance of my boat, refused to stand behind their warranty for a boat which was sold to me by an unscrupulous dealer who lied to me repeatedly (the lawsuit I filed to recover some of my damages had about 2 dozen clearly documented incidences of deceptive business practices). Furthermore MacGregor not only didn't stand behind their warranty they even refused to take any action against the dealer. I'm now regretting having agreed to not publicly disclose the dealer's name as part of the terms of settlement for the lawsuit but had I not done so they probably wouldn't have paid the judgement which I'm certain would have gone in my favor, and I'd have been out several thousand dollars more than I already am. If anyone is really interested in hearing more about this email me directly.

And finally, just so you know I'm not a dealer for the competition just slamming MacGregor to promote another company's product I'm signing this with my real name and hometown, not the handle I usually use in online discussion groups (something which is a very common practice). I have absolutely no vested interest in whether one company or the other sells more product. I do however feel that if I can help someone else not have to go through the very bad experience I went through then I should do so.

Jay Hersh
Lincoln, MA

drbeer

Apr 27, 2009
Hunter 27 Edge Salem
while it may be tempting to think that the power to cruise up and down the coast at 20 knots to Salem and Scituate in an afternoon would be attractive to her, any attraction it had for her would probably wear off soon leaving me with a boat that I, who do 80% of my sailing alone, am perhaps less happy with.
Interesting that you mention Salem, since that is where I kept my 26M and the Hunter Edge I got because I didn't like the 26M.

Although my wife only sails with me part of the time, even when I'm by myself I do like having the more powerful engine. There is one spot in the marked channel between Salem and Marblehead harbors where it gets pretty narrow. Somehow I've found myself right in that spot more times than I care to right when the wind has died down and the Salem Ferry is bearing down on me.

It's at those moments that I really appreciate having the big outboard motor. :)

Dr. Beer

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
drbeer;673157All of what I have posted is based on my ACTUAL experiences with having owned a 26M for 15.5 months. While I know there are many people that are quite enthusiastic about the 26M said:
I paid 8,900 for my 26s. been all over with it...sailed it more than most. Only thing I have had break in 5 years of sailing HARD, is the motor! Guess we all have different experiences. I am a little skeptical of your post drbeer, because of drastic differences b/t how hard you say it is to set up and what my experience has been...makes me wonder if you have an unfounded (imo) mac bias...
I am very happy and satisfied with my MacGregor...outsails most other boats in it's size range/niche. Some of the best money I have spent.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I have stayed away from this conversation until now, but I have to point out something. A 26M is a totallly different boat from a 26S. The prime similarities are that they are boats and they came from the same plant.

The 26S is a sailboat designed to carry a small auxilliary power plant for motoring to and from at displacement speeds only.

The 26M is a hybrid "power-sailer"with lifting strakes, hard chines and a much larger power plant, designed to operate at, (almost?) planing speeds.

One cannot apply experience and impression of either boat and apply it to the other. The rigs are different, the helm is different, the dynamic loads are different, the ballast is different, the hull is different.... keels, rudders, where do I stop??

I will stop short of penning my comments from experiece with either boat. I just feel the need to point out that biorapper and drbeer are writing about two completely different boats. I do this just in case someone is reading this in an effort to determine which boat is best for their needs, as per sandman's original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.