Mac 21 Ceiling Paint Help

Jun 11, 2015
MacGregor/Venture 21 Raymond NH
Hi, so the cabin ceiling of my Mac 21 is flaking like crazy. So id like paint it. Has anyone done this? If so what was the procedure and what paint did you use? I'm debating using an exterior house paint or bathroom type paint rather than a marine paint. I really dont want to spend too much time or money on it, but i want something decent. I'm tired of getting little white flakes on me whenever I go in my cabin. Any tips or suggestions? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
dont think that painting over it will stop the flakes... new paint will only postpone the flaking for a few months.
to stop the flaking you will need to scrap/sand the old paint off and then repaint it, but dont apply too many coats as it seems the thicker the paint is in the interior, the more problematic the flaking is.
im not sure what type of paint the genius engineers decided was acceptable to use as interior paint in those days, but a lot of boats have the problem.... or maybe its because the resin wasnt fully cured/seasoned before it was applied, but it will continue to peel and flake as long as the humidity is allowed to continually change (which cant be stopped in a marine enviroment, except by submersion:biggrin:)

Jun 11, 2015
I figured that that taking the old paint off would be a good idea. I've figured out the hard way painting over flaky paint just creates more flaky paint later. I Never thought of the wire brush though! Thanks for the paint suggestion. I will look to see if they have a do it best near me. Do you use a primer or does it apply fine without it? any tips on cleaning? a cloth with acetone or something of the sort?

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
I cleaned the surface with a brush then a detergent. Mr Clean anti bacterial. I then applied Zinzinger Binz stain killer/ sealer. Home depot product. It acted as a bonding agent for the Rustoleum top side paint. Worked really well.

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I figured that that taking the old paint off would be a good idea. I've figured out the hard way painting over flaky paint just creates more flaky paint later. I Never thought of the wire brush though! Thanks for the paint suggestion. I will look to see if they have a do it best near me. Do you use a primer or does it apply fine without it? any tips on cleaning? a cloth with acetone or something of the sort?
If you decide to use the paint I suggested you need to brush it into the corners and tight spots and use a roller for the large areas. I did it in 2 or 3 thin coats because if you go too thick at first it will run for sure. After sanding and prepping the surface and using filler for the crags I cleaned first with soap and water and then hit it with acetone.

Jun 11, 2015
Tsatzsue, you mentioned you used the rustoleum topside paint. I was actually looking into that to repaint part of the topside becauseI repaired some cracking so now I want to repaint a section of the boat. What color did you use? The oyster white or reg white? I was looking for one that matches the original color best, I know neither will be an exact match. But since we both have 1977 macs maybe youd have an idea which color is closer to the original gelcoat. Also did you like the rustoleum? Did it come out glossy? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the title of your post, "Mac ceiling paint help".... here is one of the best tips that will help make your job easier when painting the boat, no matter if your working on the topsides, bottom, or cabin roof.... it also works well when repairing soft decks from inside the boat.... and sorry about the powerboat picture, but it works just as well on sailboats..... do this and it will cut your effort by 2/3rds:biggrin:....
20160311_153819.jpg

May 16, 2011
Tsatzsue, you mentioned you used the rustoleum topside paint. I was actually looking into that to repaint part of the topside becauseI repaired some cracking so now I want to repaint a section of the boat. What color did you use? The oyster white or reg white? I was looking for one that matches the original color best, I know neither will be an exact match. But since we both have 1977 macs maybe youd have an idea which color is closer to the original gelcoat. Also did you like the rustoleum? Did it come out glossy? Thanks!
I used the plain white. Worked great. I painted my rudder as well. The stuff is amazing. All brush stroke disappear and it dries absolutely smooth. I never painted the exterior of the boat but that stuff would be great.

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
I used the plain white. Worked great. I painted my rudder as well. The stuff is amazing. All brush disappear and it dries absolutely smooth. I never painted the exterior of the boat but that stuff would be great.
I am going to be repainting my rudder soon and I looked up the topside paint based on your entry. The web site says it is for "above the waterline" application only. But it also says it handles rough weather conditions. Did you only use it on part of your rudder or am I misreading what I'm reading and should stop overthinking things? :)

May 16, 2011
I did the whole thing. I trailer everywhere so the boat is not left in the water. The previous owner had bottom paint on all below water line stuff. I removed it. It seems to hold up great and with an annual touch up I am good to go. The old bottom paint is still wearing off on the hull. Use the sealer and you will not be disappointed.

May 16, 2011
I also potted all penetrations on the rudder. West marine epoxy. I used a router bit on a dremmel. Drlled them out. I also recessed the ends the meet together. The factory did not even seal them. Same thing, I buzzed out a 1/4" of material and filled with glass and epoxy. No more water logged rudder. I hit all parts with bench grinder wire wheel to remove any corrosion. Its amazing hoe great it came out.