Luna, The Story of a Forgotten Catalina 30.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice work... Before you put her back in the water, you might identify on the shaft inside the boat when the prop is vertical behind the keel. Knowing this a racer (if the next owner so choose to use the boat as a race boat) can know the prop position and can lock it in place while sailing. Will help to minimize prop drag.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Nice work... Before you put her back in the water, you might identify on the shaft inside the boat when the prop is vertical behind the keel. Knowing this a racer (if the next owner so choose to use the boat as a race boat) can know the prop position and can lock it in place while sailing. Will help to minimize prop drag.
Good idea, and easy enough to do.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Take her with you. A PITA, but doable.
I can’t afford the 10K to ship her and I don’t have the skills to sail her. As sad as it is to lose what I have worked so hard on, it’s just not in the cards to keep her. I will find another Catalina in Virginia when I get there n

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
So while the work outside is finished, I decided to try and start the engine and make sure everything is happy here. Soooo glad I did. The engine wouldn’t start! WFT was my first thought on the matter as this engine has always started, then I remembered that I left the glow plugs powered when the boat got pulled out. So they were on for over an hour. And yes when I pulled them out they both had a bulge on the end, and they were not getting hot at all. Awesome! So I thought I found a pair at my local O’Reilly’s but the ended up just having one. And the search began looking for another one maybe 3 so I could have spares and wow was that an adventure. I eventually found a different part number than what I had with the only difference being the nut on the top. I can live with that. Now I’m off to Olympia to install new glow plugs and make sure she runs for splash day tomorrow.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
... then I remembered that I left the glow plugs powered when the boat got pulled out. ...
How do you activate the glow plugs? They should be on a momentary switch so that you need to push the button or turn a spring-loaded key to activate and once you stop applying pressure it will open the switch and stop heating.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
How do you activate the glow plugs? They should be on a momentary switch so that you need to push the button or turn a spring-loaded key to activate and once you stop applying pressure it will open the switch and stop heating.
That was the procedure on my daughter’s previous 1982 C30 and it’s 11hp universal. The toggle switch had to be held in order to energize the glow plugs.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Oh, and she fires up easily now. Much easier than ever before and will start with the throttle at the idle position. So win win.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Luna is all tucked into her own bed tonight. The trip home was pretty uneventful, I had more speed with less throttle and she moved much nicer through the water. I had a north wind all day and I didn’t feel like zig zagging all the way home so I just motored. The Narrows sucked, I had a north wind and an incoming tide… it was slow going, and I did have to zig zag there a bit just to get more than 1/2kt forward speed.

Here she is being flown back into the water, I will get pics at the slip later, it was dark when I docked her.

A2E3F45E-6029-4D77-9BDD-4DAAF34F2DA5.jpeg
AC4C5E94-1CC7-438D-9854-BFA1F1BB82AB.jpeg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I had a north wind and an incoming tide… it was slow going, and I did have to zig zag there a bit just to get more than 1/2kt forward speed.
That would be great time to not have a schedule. When the conditions conspire against you it is time to make lemonade. Grab a cool beverage, toss out an anchor, watch the traffic and let the tide change.

Not that my past cruises have let me do that. I am trying to explore this new no schedule concept.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
That would be great time to not have a schedule. When the conditions conspire against you it is time to make lemonade. Grab a cool beverage, toss out an anchor, watch the traffic and let the tide change.

Not that my past cruises have let me do that. I am trying to explore this new no schedule concept.
The wind yesterday would have been perfect last Monday when I was heading south! But all is good she is home. A small leak in the prop shaft is all I have now, I just need to figure out how to fix it without going on the hard again.