LP pump on Yanmar 2GM20F

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I suspect my Yanmar 2GM20F LP pump is not delivering to the secondary filter. Can I dismantle it from engine just by removing the 2 banjo fuel lines and 2 bolts that secure pump body to engine? I suppose I don't need to turn crank shaft to s particular position first?

Ken Y

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Disconnect and remove. Basic and easy. There is a screen inside the pump that can get clogged. Make sure it’s clean and working and reinstall. My last boat the pump was leaking so I just bought a new one and replaced.

good luck.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
But do remember when you do remove the banjo fittings, best to have new copper washers. You can heat and reuse old ones in a pinch but if you have the time, for me its always worth it to get new.

Greg

• Helpful
Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
You also should check that your engine oil level has not risen. That would indicate that the lift pump diaphragm is leaking fuel into the oil sump.

• Helpful

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
that's how I knew my pump was leaking....... oil level was high and thin......

Oct 29, 2005
Disconnect and remove. Basic and easy. There is a screen inside the pump that can get clogged. Make sure it’s clean and working and reinstall. My last boat the pump was leaking so I just bought a new one and replaced.

good luck.
Thank you . Now my heart is at ease knowing it's straightforward removal.

Ken Y

Oct 29, 2005
You also should check that your engine oil level has not risen. That would indicate that the lift pump diaphragm is leaking fuel into the oil sump.
Ah... yes. I'll check that. Thank you.

Ken Y

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Not sure I'd "ditch" the mechanical pump. If you lose juice, you're screwed.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Not sure I'd "ditch" the mechanical pump. If you lose juice, you're screwed.
No more "screwed" than the large number of (most?) diesel engines that use electric fuel pumps. My M25XP on a previous boat did, for example. The pumps are highly reliable. That Facet will last for decades. Plus, when the diaphragms in the mechanical pumps fail, as happened here, you get fuel in the oil--no bueno.

One could always carry a spare Facet aboard if one is really worried about it.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I'd highly recommend you ditch the mechanical lift pump and switch to an electric.
I wouldn't just simply ditch it. I'd throw it as far as I could into the briny deep.

Ken, I believe your engine location is similar to mine. Removing the pump was a walk in the park. Reinstalling a new one ................ impossible. I bent the arm on a new replacement pump and that's when I decided to ditch the mechanical and go electric.

And no, a properly selected electric fuel pump will not stop the fuel flow if the pump fails or you lose 12V.

Positive Shut Off Valve - No.JPG

If the fuel tank is way below the level of the engine, the engine may slow down a bit if the pump fails. I can't see any change in RPM between the pump being ON or OFF. And that's at 1/4 tank. The electric pump really makes for easy bleeding after a filter change.

Fuel Filter and Lift pump R.jpg

• Helpful
Nov 22, 2011
I wouldn't just simply ditch it. I'd throw it as far as I could into the briny deep.
While throwing it in the briny deep might be a bit of fun, I wouldn't go to the trouble. On my 1GM I simply disconnected the lines going into and out of the pump but left the pump mounted on the engine. There's no need to cap off the in/out ports on the pump; just pull off the lines. If you remove the pump then you will have to come up with a cover plate to plug the hole. While that's not a huge deal there's no particular reason to bother doing so. Keeping the pump on but disconnected doesn't hurt anything. And since there is no fuel being passed through it (since it's disconnected) there is no worry about a failing diaphragm passing fuel into the crankcase--the issue that started this particular thread.

Jan 4, 2006
On my 1GM I simply disconnected the lines going into and out of the pump but left the pump mounted on the engine.
I had already removed the pump to do a repair on it as mentioned in the link to a previous posting I had made. Once out, it was never going back in correctly. I machined a small cover plate to cover the hole where the pump had been and so far, psychotherapy has pretty well removed all memory of the little #$%^%&*:cuss:

Nov 22, 2011
I had already removed the pump to do a repair on it as mentioned in the link to a previous posting I had made. Once out, it was never going back in correctly. I machined a small cover plate to cover the hole where the pump had been and so far, psychotherapy has pretty well removed all memory of the little #$%^%&*:cuss:
Your cover plate is the cleaner solution, especially since you already had the pump off. But for someone who hasn't already removed it, there is no need to do so if you don't want to bother with it. Either way, replacing it with an electric is definitely the way to go.

Jan 4, 2006
Either way, replacing it with an electric is definitely the way to go.
Should be written in stone somewhere on this site :clap:.

As you say, leave it in place and disconnect the IN and OUT fuel lines and go with an electric pump BEFORE EVEN THINKING OF REPAIRING OR REPLACING THE MECHANICAL PUMP.

Nov 22, 2011
Should be written in stone somewhere on this site :clap:.

As you say, leave it in place and disconnect the IN and OUT fuel lines and go with an electric pump BEFORE EVEN THINKING OF REPAIRING OR REPLACING THE MECHANICAL PUMP.
Right. Then for ease of priming I'd suggest plumbing it as follows:

Tank --> Racor filter --> electric fuel pump --> 2-way valve input --> Output #1: to on-engine filter or (preferably) direct to high pressure pump; Output #2: T into the injector return line.

Then, you also wire in a switch in the engine bay so you can energize the pump from there.

To prime a new, empty filter: Switch to Output #2 and energize the pump.You can tell by the sound of the pump when the filter is full. Then switch to Output #1 to bleed the engine. Leave it at Output #1 for normal operation.

On my 1GM I have a honkin' large Racor 500 filter. I eliminated the tiny on-engine filter as that is a known source of trouble on this particular engine. It is also just one more hassle and expense, plus an additional bleed point. I have Output #1 on the 2-way valve go straight into the high pressure pump.

With this setup I can bleed the engine in a seaway without making a mess of it.

Nov 22, 2011
By the way: Plumbing it the way I just described puts the electric pump on the suction side of the Racor. This is what Racor specifies. Some have said that you should put the electric pump ahead of the Racor to facilitate priming. However, I have had zero issues with filling up the large Racor 500.

Jan 4, 2006
I have Output #1 on the 2-way valve go straight into the high pressure pump.
Not exactly kosher for fuel filtering before entering the high pressure pump.

The Racor filter (primary filter) has a coarse filter for removing the coarse particles while the small filter on the engine (secondary filter ) has a 10-15 micron filter to ensure that very little in the way of abrasive grit gets into the high pressure pump.

Filter.JPG

Some have said that you should put the electric pump ahead of the Racor to facilitate priming.
As you have said, the large(r) primary filters are usually easy to prime so I also chose to use that filter to protect the electric pump. What makes the filter easy to work on is that I removed it from a nest of water hoses, fuel hoses, and electrical conduits and moved it to a much more convenient location. There is no room under the filter body now (about 1/2") to remove the element but the filter body is easily removed from the hanger and, via the coiled hoses, you can remove and work on the filter with all hoses still attached.

Fuel Filter and Lift pump R.JPG

Nov 22, 2011
Not exactly kosher for fuel filtering before entering the high pressure pump.

The Racor filter (primary filter) has a coarse filter for removing the coarse particles while the small filter on the engine (secondary filter ) has a 10-15 micron filter to ensure that very little in the way of abrasive grit gets into the high pressure pump.

View attachment 177416
I use a 10 micron filter in the Racor. This filter is massive for this little engine. It never gets even close to plugged. I also have a vacuum gauge on it for monitoring purposes.

If that 10 micron filter were to ever plug up with "coarse particles" then that means I've got some kind of serious problem with my tank, which would warrant a serious cleaning out rather than adding coarser filters into the system.

Frankly, in my experience I never really *need* to change it, but I will swap it out when I do my scheduled maintenance just to give me something to do.... The filters on the 500 are much cheaper than the ones on the smaller Racors and are super easy to change out, so what the heck? It's also kind of fun to do with my nifty priming system. :)

The tiny on-engine filter on the 1GM, on the other hand, is a real pain in the keester. The filter does not go in easily and it's simple to spill fuel when doing so. The filter housing is known for developing cracks at the bleed screw, which admits air into the system. And one time the tightening ring that holds the filter in place vibrated loose and spilled a bunch of diesel in my bilge! I'm glad to be rid of it. One less point of failure.

Jan 4, 2006
I use a 10 micron filter in the Racor.
So the big Racor 500 with the 10mircon filter acts as a big garbage can and puts out clean fuel :dancing:. Nice.

Frankly, in my experience I never really *need* to change it
I've always found the same and only change about every 3 years. Filters are always spotless. As far as the rubbish you hear about the elements "absorbing water" and other such nonsense, reputable filter mfg. do not allude to this property. Fly by nighters ? ................. sure, it sells product. What I do check every other year is a fuel sample pulled off the bottom of the fuel tank. This is the sampling port:

Fuel Tank Pump Out Fitting.JPG