Leak repair: how to fix up cabin ceiling?

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Catalina 22 3556 Farragut, TN
Hello friends! New member here!

I just brought home a 1974 Catalina 22 in pretty good shape, but there's definitely some project work involved. One spot has been leaking a long time around a deck vent and stanchion base. The deck feels firm, but the cabin ceiling is flaky and gross.

I understand the process for rebedding the hardware to fix the leak, but what about fixing the ceiling? Any advice on how to go about that? All help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1000002049.jpg

1000002048.jpg

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
That looks like clean, grind, and paint. But if it's been "leaking a long time", and it looks like that, I'd have serious doubts about the integrity of the core.

Before I concerned myself with the aesthetics of the interior, I'd remove the stanchion and that fitting and probe the core to see if it's mush.

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Thanks Siamese! I will definitely poke and try to check the core well when I get the hardware off. I have been looking at MaineSail's guide to potting and countersinking the holes, if the core checks out.

I have also seen that one should put on a proper backing plate for fittings like this: what do folks usually use for that? I saw 1/4" aluminum mentioned and like that idea.

Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Perhaps a silly question. What is that checkered brown tube coming thru the deck? Is that the older style two or four-plex cable to the deck light?

George

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Hey George! Not silly at all! This 22 actually has a pump-out MSD installed, and the tube here is the vent tube. To me, it looks like that's the actual source of the leak.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Remove the fittings, check the ply core, and clean like mad the inside of the celling. Use a magic eraser and some bar keep friend to remove the staining. If its not cracked then the aesthetics will be up to you. If cracked and flakey then sand off the gelcoat and paint or re apply gelcoat. just know you wont match the "texture" of the cabin top. If the deck has wet / rotted core an Allen in a drill can help remove minor rot between the fiberglass layers. you can then fill the hole with epoxy and re-drill. If its a major soft spot n the deck though you'll be in for a larger repair.

I highly recommend the tech manual form the Catalina 22 National Sailing Association. it outlines how to fix deck rt and hundreds of other tasks all from Catalina owners. Its over 700 hundred pages of invaluable information.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Yep that is the leak I bet. Crazy place to put pump out vent anyway.
I have a vent in almost the same location but mine is in the side of the hull not the deck. I no longer use a MSD head so I just removed the tube and filled the fitting with silicone for the time being. The location is just above the head so path of least resistance I suppose.

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Thanks everyone! I've got my hands on that awesome Technical Manual and I'll post any interesting updates as I work on it. Jacktar: I'm super impressed with all your awesome, cheap upgrades in that other thread!

Also, if you think the vent is crazy, you should see where they put the pump out: the tube runs right through the port shelf (above the dinette) to the deck... Convenient to access from above, I guess, but I'm definitely gonna have to build some decorative box to cover it up in the cabin!

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Argh: I have made an ugly discovery. I thought I had a stripped out screw for the bottom fitting of the pop-top dog hatch, but behind the trim there was a chunk missing and a big ol' crack:
dog_hatch_crack.jpg

I had some JB Weld MarineWeld I was going to use to fill the screw hole, so I went ahead and tried filling the void and covering over the crack with that, but it totally didn't work. When screwing the dog tight again later, it pulled the bottom fitting up toward the ceiling as the crack opened again.

Would the proper fix be to sand down now and glass over that whole joint? I'm also considering making a custom latch fitting for the bottom that would bolt on under the joint instead of above it.

These are some of her worst warts, but there is actually a lot of good boat under there: I'll post some good pictures later but I haven't cleaned her at all yet, and she's very dirty.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2022
Catalina 22 Oolagah
Argh: I have made an ugly discovery. I thought I had a stripped out screw for the bottom fitting of the pop-top dog hatch, but behind the trim there was a chunk missing and a big ol' crack:
View attachment 221066

I had some JB Weld MarineWeld I was going to use to fill the screw hole, so I went ahead and tried filling the void and covering over the crack with that, but it totally didn't work. When screwing the dog tight again later, it pulled the bottom fitting up toward the ceiling as the crack opened again.

Would the proper fix would be to sand down now and glass over the joint?
I can’t tell you with authority which will be the best repair procedure but I would suggest that you consider downloading the instruction manual for the West Systems epoxies and view some of their repair videos as well. As you go through your boat I think you’ll find more than one project where their base resin and various hardeners (with different properties) will come in very handy. I hope this helps.

George

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Hey George! That does help: this boat is definitely a learning platform for me, both to improve my sailing and for developing those maintenance skills like epoxy work. I appreciate all advice!

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I hate to be the be of bad news but it looks like you have a number of leaks. You likely have some rot starting. A proper repair will de

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Hey LakeShark! No worries: keep it coming!

There's no doubt she's been leaking the rain in, especially around the windows. I planned on resealing the windows and all the hatch/poptop seals (which is how I ran across the issue under the dog hardware) before cleaning her up.

I just got my basic keelboat and she was a gift from a friend who kept her on the water and sailed her regularly until a couple years ago, when he parked her in his yard. I planned on fixing her up and sailing her for a few years as I learn more about handling/sailing a keelboat, keeping a boat in a slip and sailing with my family. I don't have any cash invested yet. The deck at least doesn't feel soft anywhere and she has a lot of nice hardware and good rigging.

Maybe I should reframe my question as: should I not fix her up? At least when I brought her home, she seemed to be in comparable shape to the Catalina 22s we used in class.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
Hey LakeShark! No worries: keep it coming!

Maybe I should reframe my question as: should I not fix her up? At least when I brought her home, she seemed to be in comparable shape to the Catalina 22s we used in class.

If it looks and feels so.I’d then go for it. There is nothing more fun than messing around with boats! Just don’t get lost in the projects so deep you forget to actually go sailing. Far too many here and on other Catalina forums get caught in the project trap always waiting for the perfect boat, wind, day, etc. fix what’s broke and sail until something else brakes.

Ranzo

May 11, 2022
Nice! Thanks guys!

Maybe I'll make a new thread to consolidate and post progress as I work on her before Spring, where folks can follow along and offer advice. I'll consider the cost of parts as tuition! :)

Last edited: