Lazy Jacks ?

May 7, 2023
catalina 27 lake st clair
I sail alone and I’m fairly new at this. I have a Catalina 27 with a roller furler. I don’t use my main much because I’m not very comfortable getting it down in wind. I’ve never had a problem I just worry about having one of the wind really picks up. However my comfort is growing. Now I’m thinking I should get lazy jacks not because of convenience but it allows me to drop the main quickly and safely. I saw a guy with 2 leg lazy jacks and I like the simplicity. I also saw 3 and 4 leg lazy jacks and they clearly collect the sail better. Not sure which to get ? Thoughts?

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I have two on my 31. Cable comes down from the upper part of the mast to a small block. Jack line runs up from the forward end of the boom through the block and back down to the boom just behind the aft turning block for the mid mounted mainsheet. See the pics. Works sufficiently. You do have to gather the tail end of the sail when it's dropped but that does not seem to be a problem.

Quantum Jib 13 Apparrent IMG_20171025_185009196.jpgQuantum Main 13 Apparent IMG_20171025_184955618.jpg