Keep My Boat Floating

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
Under the heading of crazy ideas, as Hurricane Dorian approaches, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve my chances of recovering my boat should it be inundated. I thought that I might fill the cabin with inflated beach balls. Yeah, I know: silly. But I'll ask anyway. has anyone tried anything like this? If so, how did it work out?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I don't know if this would work in Fla., but if you are able to get it away from docks and onto a very good mooring, with robust rode, you r boat will likely stand a better chance.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
So how close are you to a direct hit? and how intense is Dorian expected to be when she hits. Everything I've read about surviving hurricanes for a docked/moored boat is about being able to outlast the storm. Tie on multiple lines, with plenty of slack to allow the boat to move. Allow the boat to ride up/down as the tide/surge comes in/out.. Remove anything that produces windage (sails, sail covers, roller furling jibs, dodgers, etc.). Expect that of the 10 lines you tie to your boat to hold her in place, 9 will part before the storm is over. As long as your lines last longer than the storm (last line doesn't chafe through or break) you good to go. In reading stories from Hugo and Ike in Texas, that is how people managed to get their boats through epic storms. Look also at how your neighbors are tied off. Often its not your boat but other boats or docks which break free and cause havoc in a marina.

Good luck, I'll add an extra prayer for everyone in Dorian's path tonight.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
If your are at a dock, try to have your boat heading into the wind. As previously said, remove anything that will catch the wind, ie sails, canvas etc. If you have solar panels mounted, I would recommend removing them also. Multiple lines with sufficient slack is important, as previously stated. If you have some snubbers, use them. Put all your bumpers out around your boat. We survived the incredible high tides in previous years, however I have no experience in what you might be going through. Good luck and I'll say a prayer for you all down there..

Aug 17, 2017
Catalina Catalina 30 MKII 5346 Melbourne Yacht Club
As of this writing, it's looking more and more like a direct hit from a Cat 3. I'm inshore, just off the Indian River Lagoon, in a slip near other boats. Prayers are welcome, if course. I'll be saying a few of my own.
Thank you!

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Fill the cabin with plastic drums. You can get small diameter ones. They are cheap used.

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Check the Boat US web site and their u tube videos. good info and answers most of your questions. nothing however, about filling the boat with flotation devices. Mostly about NOT filling the boat w/H2O

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I think the biggest threat is other stuff hitting your boat causing a breach.