John & Les’s Epic Adventure

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Iron Rooster provided great space for the gathering of SBO Members.. Where West Coast meets East Coast.
East coast smiling folk included
  1. Crazy Dave who shared how he got the moniker Crazy...and it is not because he occasionally tries to mow his meadow from atop of a stump.
  2. Dave and Cecelia (I hope I am spelling her name correctly... ) A lovely couple from NY. Sailing his Hunter 30 and powered by what he referred to as his (Sweet sounding Yanmar 1 cylinder that runs so smooth).
  3. Dave and Ann from the Baltimore area. The boat show is in his blood. Dave’s Grand parents lived a few blocks from where we dined. He was wise to choose Ann as we learned she knows her sailing and LIKES IT.
Well there is but one more day of this boat show adventure as we only have one more ticket. So today is an off day and we are heading into DC to Make a few tourist stops. For me one will be to visit the resting place of my Mom and Dad at Arlington. Then we plan to tour the lower end of the reflecting pool and view the monuments to Presidents and the Men and Women who gave their lives in service to our nation.

So far this has been a great trip. And many thanks to Les for helping me celebrate my BD at an old college haunt, Mike’s Crabhouse on the South River.

The most Excellent Adventure continues...

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
This year's boat show was great, especially meeting and putting faces with some of the SBO members. This really should become an annual meet-up. Something we agreed on was how nice it would be to fly an SBO burgee so we could identify each other on the water. I remember there was talk of this site selling them but have not heard anything further. Wondering if there was a problem or not enough interest? BTW, do I have to change my name to 'Dave' too?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ron we will need to do better on our timing. Next time will prioritize on the weather. :biggrin:
If you really want something useful to bring in your carry-on, that's what you should bring with you, good weather.
When I travel, I try to always pack a good supply of nice weather from home. Unfortunately, I often can't find where I last saw it before it is time to go. Then I have to rely on there being a good local supply.

-Will (Dragonfly)

-

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Stu. You may again join us. The moniker “Dave” is not needed. But it may or may not help to get a seat at the big table. That is out of my control.

Thanks Ron for the grace.

Will we are limited by the baggage restrictions as to what we might carry on the plane. Ron told me he only likes to sail when the breeze is 10 or more. Afraid that might fill the baggage space. You may know how to operate a condenser. Did not see any at the Boat Show. Would be a handy addition to the industry.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Ron told me he only likes to sail when the breeze is 10 or more.
I said it takes 8 to move the boat. At the Thomas Point Light House just off Annapolis, from 10:00 to 4:00 today/Sunday, the wind was 4, 5 and 6. Overnight, though, the wind was in the double digits. We was robbed!

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
...a condenser. Did not see any at the Boat Show. Would be a handy addition...
In the future, everyone will have one mounted on their transom arch. The word 'becalmed' will lose all its meaning and boats that sail best off the wind will be the preferred designs.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Softening your view is quite a diplomatic way of saying limited visibility...

dj

P.S. or perhaps poetic is a better word than diplomatic.

Last edited:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Thank you for your wisdom in recognizing my poetry efforts.

Sitting here with a beer in the Fleet Reserve Club, I enjoy the camaraderie and the grub while I rest the bones and hear to moans of my credit card abuse.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
This mornings paper has an article about the boat show, nightime version. Three guys jumped the fence into the show around 0200 Sunday morning. One of them triggered an alarm on a boat that the owner was living on during the show. He scared the intruder away, but all three were caught.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
John.
You forgot the balancing act of a zero turn mower on a stump was and this is the truth being bombed and straffed by the Goodyear Blimp of all things. My wife and I laughed so hard.

Maybe a meet with SBO Members next year. What do you think

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I thought being on the stump with a mower was a wonder. The staffing and laughing I thought were the punchline to your telling the story... Wanted to leave something for you.

I agree. Finding opportunities to get together with fellow SBO members is a great experience.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
This is an FYI guys .We brought home a poster from the show, it had next year's dates on it. Surprised me to see they switched powerboats to a week ahead of sail instead of following weekend.
IMG_20181011_193106301.jpg

Jul 13, 2010
John.
You forgot the balancing act of a zero turn mower on a stump was and this is the truth being bombed and straffed by the Goodyear Blimp of all things. My wife and I laughed so hard.

Jul 13, 2010
Agree wholeheartedly! Let's start working on the frog right after New Year's

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
This is an FYI guys .We brought home a poster from the show, it had next year's dates on it. Surprised me to see they switched powerboats to a week ahead of sail instead of following weekend.View attachment 157328
Good to know. Probably based on the timing of Columbus Day. This year it was early, so the sailboat show could be that weekend and still have the powerboat show by mid October. Next year Columbus Day isn't until the 14th, so keeping the normal order would mean either taking the sailboat show off the long weekend or moving the powerboats out to late October.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
I thought being on the stump with a mower was a wonder. The staffing and laughing I thought were the punchline to your telling the story... Wanted to leave something for you.

I agree. Finding opportunities to get together with fellow SBO members is a great experience.