Jib sheet(s) attach to clew. Two lines or one?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I use a 2 ft pennant spliced to the clew eye. This is bent to the midpoint of the sheet with.......wait for it....
a sheet bend.
Hi Walt, welcome to SBO forum. Do you have a picture of your rigging on the headsail? I'm unfamiliar with your description.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I surprised no one mentioned a continuous sheet, dinghy style. 100% tangle proof, nothing to coil up, can reach the tail from either rail.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
it's all academic, as you'll use the same running length of sheet either way. Hopefully, if one is using the 2 sheet method and one sheet shows signs of wear, both are replaced.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I looked at this thread because I have had issues with my choice of line or knot to tie the clew to the midpoint of the jibsheet. Looking at the softshackle by the link provided earlier, I realized I can take the loop from the old braided dockline I was going to throw away and use that!!

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just posted this on another forum thread. Likely applies here as well.

Splax. Would suggest you manufacture or buy a soft shackle. It is not the same as the loop splice from your dock line. If the line is still serviceable than you might use the line to create the soft shackle. I have always found old line a bit more difficult to work with than new line. But waste not want not is a reasonable motto.

Here is an image of the soft shackle I was suggesting. You can make them or manufacture them. This is one made out of Dyneema. I have use dyneema as well as poly-braid depending on the application. You can learn to make these in an hour or so. Very easy procedure. Check out one of the online techniques.

http://www.animatedknots.com/softshackle/#ScrollPoint

Be sure when doing the dyneema material you use a longer bury to the splice. There are directions online for splicing dyneema. It is a great skill to learn. Of course you can buy these at your preferred chandler.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
I've new rigging on order and will use a single sheet, attached with a cow hitch, for a couple of years. Then, I will cut out the four inches of weakened line at the center and use bowlines end to end to extend useful life for several more years. I'm surprised there's no votes for a buntline hitch here, which I'm considering moving forward.
Just a word of warning, I lost a bowline in 18 knots Sunday afternoon. First time in 45 years on sailboats.
I was trimming the sheet by hand, using my weight to help. Foolish, rookie mistake. Landed on my backside in the cockpit, unhurt, but it is very sobering to think that solo and with tiller pilot engaged, miles from shore in water too cold to survive an overnight, I would probably be dead had I gone over the side.
Whatever knot or shackle we choose, let's use the winch handles God gave us to trim our sails safely.

Sep 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Port Sanilac
I've new rigging on order and will use a single sheet, attached with a cow hitch, for a couple of years. Then, I will cut out the four inches of weakened line at the center and use bowlines end to end to extend useful life for several more years. I'm surprised there's no votes for a buntline hitch here, which I'm considering moving forward.
Just a word of warning, I lost a bowline in 18 knots Sunday afternoon. First time in 45 years on sailboats.
I was trimming the sheet by hand, using my weight to help. Foolish, rookie mistake. Landed on my backside in the cockpit, unhurt, but it is very sobering to think that solo and with tiller pilot engaged, miles from shore in water too cold to survive an overnight, I would probably be dead had I gone over the side.
Whatever knot or shackle we choose, let's use the winch handles God gave us to trim our sails safely.
I did the same thing but went with a double fisherman, which you pass the bitter end through the clue on each side of the sail. Basically works like a stopper knot of each side of the clue. Clean, simple and strong. Only down side is, I'll likely have to cut it out.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I would probably be dead had I gone over the side.
Drew
Thank you for the post. It is a valuable lesson for us solo sailors. It might be a good idea to consider jacklines and tethers while sailing solo in 18 knots of breeze.
They also make sailing dry suits (kind of gives you that chic Enterprise Voyager look so popular these days)
th.jpg
which can extend your life should the unthinkable happen and you go for an unplanned swim. I use one in our Pacific NW waters that rarely get above 55 in anything but the top 12 inches.
Swimming in 12 inches of water can be done, when really needed... for a while.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
This thread motivated me to replace my ancient genoa sheets with some hi-tech Sampson MLX (on sale, of course). I bought it in a continuous line, and will connect it with a cow hitch. I am concerned with chafe where the line encounters the clew, so I am planning to pad the clew eye with spare nylon webbing (who doesn't have a dozen old sail ties lying around) and secure that with rigging tape. I think that 'softening' the turn angle at the clew so the metal eye does not act on such a small portion of the line will lessen chafe. I am not willing to invest in a frictionless ring and soft shackle because I never expect this to move. Does anyone else have experience with this?

dhays

Aug 2, 2010
Catalina C400 Gig Harbor, WA
I always use two lines for the genoa and have been using a halyard knot for years instead of a bowline. The halyard knot is extremely strong and has a low profile, unlike the bowline. The downside is that after it has been using, you can't untie but but have to cut it off.

For my spinnaker sheets I use a soft shackle. I splice an eye in the double braid sheet then use a dyneema soft shackle to attach the sheet to the sail. If I needed to replace my genoa sheets I would do the same. I'd do it now but I hate trying to splice old double braid.

Soft shackles are easy to make, cheap to make, and are incredibly useful. I'm currently using them to attach my permanent dock lines to the dock cleats. This gets rid of the dock clutter, takes care of chafing at the dock side cleat, and when it comes time to replace the shackles, again cheap and easy.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
I use a single line through a block at the clew brought back to the cockpit through a clutch. This is a non-overlaping Jib and this makes it self-tacking without having to add hardware to the cabin roof top.